Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No start after engine dies

lfs2ezy
03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Recently bought a manual 5-speed 1999 Passat with 109K+ miles. Two days after having it the check engine stayed on. Was advised that sometimes if the gas cap is not secured that happens. I checked the cap and I also filled the tank with Chervon premium. The next day the light went off and has not stayed on since. The currently problem is that sometimes on a steep hill when the engine goes dead, after clutch is released too quickly, the car does not start up immediately. I turn the key there is no sound; the lights blink during start attempts. After about two to five minutes it starts. What are the possibilities?

boltswagen
03-23-2005, 09:28 PM
Are you sure you re-clutched it after it stalled the first time?
Don't laugh, I had a tow truck on the way because I couldn't get a car out of park. Turns out I wasn't applying the brake pedal before trying to move the shift lever. :dunno: I guess it was the first automatic I'd driven in a while.

boschmann
03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
The key must be turned back to the off position before you can go back to the start position to engage the starter. Perhaps you are trying to restart without turning the key back to off first.

Add your comment to this topic!