Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 lumina not starting right / stalling out

naturalmystic085
03-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Recently my car has been trouble starting up. It will usually start when cold, but not as quick as it should, seems like its not getting enough juice. Last week I replaced the air filter, plugs and wires, and put in a new battery. After the car has been running it will not start back up, again feels like it is struggling for power. But i have lights and radio. I took of my alternator and had it tested twice, both times was good. Now it has begun stalling, generally while in drive, at a red stoplight or similiar situation. If I shift into nuetral it will idle a little higher and usually will not stall. When trying to start after the engine has been running, it seems it will start if i keep turning the key and giving it gas at the same time. In order to keep it from dying I must keep reving the engine up. Maybe something with not getting enough fuel? Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Carwhiz
03-22-2005, 08:27 PM
ummm.......it's hard to say where to begin. How does the car idle when it is running? Sounds like you may have a problem with your ignition coils, or your ignition module. (common GM problem). Another possibility is that your computer may need to be reset. The 93 Lumina's need to have their computer reset whenever you leave the batter dead or unhooked for a period of time. So, if you are aware that the battery has been disconnected for over a few hours, this is your problem. Otherwise I would take off your ignition coils and module and take them to your local AutoZone and have them checked. Hope this helps!

NeonKnight
03-27-2005, 03:32 PM
You had your battery disconnected didnt you?

Since you had your battery disconnected, your ECM needs to re-learn the idle. I had that problem with my car when I installed my custom stereo.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2728605#post2728605

that is the link to my post, there was a guy on there that told me how to re-learn the idle. Its in his post on there. near the last post. Try it, and make sure when you do it, That all the extra electronics are off. IE: Radio, lights, that kind of thing.

but this should take care of the rough idle.

naturalmystic085
03-28-2005, 06:55 AM
thanks guys

Add your comment to this topic!