Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Model Contest In SoCal hosted by Tamiya : Tamiya/Con X

mrceej
03-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Model Contest (http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/feature.php?article-id=61)

Jay!
03-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I will not be able to attend this year. :(

Who will be going to take pictures for me? :D If you live in southern California, this event has my MOST HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION. Clear your calendar and spend all day there, both days. It's 110% worth it!!

Plus, we need another Automotive Master Modeler to join Dale and Bil to make it a hat trick! ;)

mrceej
03-22-2005, 02:02 PM
I've never entered one of these (or heard about it for that matter) but I will definitely go and take pics. If I can manage, I'll enter at least one entry and try my luck!

racer917
03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Hi Jay,
Sorry to hear you won't be there is time. I may only be there on Sunday although I'll try for both days. I have my camera and this year's entry ready.

Scale-Master
03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
It's always a great show, I won in 2001, and the trip to Japan was AWESOME! I highly recommend it.
I'll have some of my models on display (not entered in the contest) and I'll be there both days doing demos, (two each day).
Stop by and introduce yourselves to me, it would nice to meet some of the AF folks in person... - Mark

Jay!
03-22-2005, 03:12 PM
You can only enter Tamiya kits, of course, but I'd enter anything, even if it was a total glue bomb, just so i could say I participated.

There's not that many ways to have Mr. Tamiya see your work on his models, so take every chance you get. ;)

D_LaMz
03-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Hey p9o1r1sche should enter his Carrera and see what Mr.Tamiya has to say about the kit. :sunglasse

Jay!
03-22-2005, 03:25 PM
It's a shame Tamiya seems to have taken down the past results when they last updated their site. :(

Mark, I didn't go in 2001, but I saw your Caterham on display in 2002. At the time, I was still pretty new to the hobby, and thought that's what it looked like out of the box. Needless to say, I've come to understand otherwise. ;)

p9o1r1sche
03-23-2005, 07:51 AM
I'd love to go to the TamiyaCon, but I live on the other side of the country and have a 'real' job, so I cant get away.

I have heard that Porsche doesnt appear to want to promote the Carrera kit for some reason. I have never seen a real Carrera GT and I understand the Tamiya kit doesnt do it justice.

tonioseven
03-23-2005, 08:46 AM
If I had the money, I'd go and I'd bring Vric with me!! He knows why :lol:

willster127
03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I'll be there on sunday only, It would be great to meet up with any fellow AF'ers, maybe we should arrange a meeting point or something.

Also, whoever said enter anything is right on. They give a raffle ticket to all that enter and some of the prizes are incredible, it's definitely worth blowing the dust off something just for the chance to win some great prizes, and even if you don't win the sales tent will be sure to provide you with a few goodies!!!!

mrceej
03-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Count me in. I plan on entering my Carina ED for the factory stock category and my Supra for the extensive conversion category.

VTEC-DA9
03-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Man I can't wait. I am going to try to make it both days, who knows. I hope to meet some fellow AFers there too. mrceej: I remember seeing your work on Robert's site (Tinyimports) before it went down. My DC2R was on there too as well as my MR2 I built for a friend. Glad to see you're still modelling! I wish I had more time to enter a car or two, but life's first.

mrceej
03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
yeah, i remember yours too. i know what you mean about having time though. i figure just build a box stock version, that's something even I can finish on time LOL!!! you should see some of the 1:1 projects I have going for my personal cars! i dunno how I even have anytime!!

VTEC-DA9
03-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Have you talked to Robert anytime lately? Where in So Cal are you? I am in Cerritos and wanted to see if you know stores outside of my area (besides Ultimate, Best 1, Pegasus etc) that may have some wheels I am looking for. Dang we should meet some time before Tamiya to hang out and hopefully get some of my friends out who are also "model geeks".

mrceej
03-23-2005, 02:08 PM
LOL!! Yeah, I actually call myself the exact same thing. There are some websites that I order from. What are you looking for? If I have it, maybe I can just sell it to you or let you know where there are more.

Jay!
04-08-2005, 06:21 PM
I will not be able to attend this year. :(

I lied!! I'm in for Sunday!! :D :D :D I have nothing to bring, but my family plans put me in San Diego that weekend with notthing to do on Sunday!

YAY! :D

Feint Motion
04-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Finally a contest in Socal. Thanks for the Link CJ.

Scale-Master
04-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Jay, find me and indroduce yourself, heck anyone on the board, I'd like to meet you.
I'll be working in the Demo tent both days and can be easily found...

And BTW, there are several contest in So. Cal. every year, I even host one in September... More on that later... - Mark

Jay!
04-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Sure thing, Mark.Finally a contest in Socal. Thanks for the Link CJ.Hey, are you going? Because I could just hand you the thing I haven't managed to mail yet...

For that matter, who all is really, really going? We should all roll down the hill for lunch. :)

VTEC-DA9
04-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Sure thing, Mark.Hey, are you going? Because I could just hand you the thing I haven't managed to mail yet...

For that matter, who all is really, really going? We should all roll down the hill for lunch. :)
Jay,

My friend and I should be there the better part of Saturday afternoon after I go looking at some new townhomes with another friend. I hope to see you fellas there...maybe we should wear those "Hello My Name is..." Tags and write AF ahahahaha!

mrceej
04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I actually won't be going anymore. I was planning on Sunday because I had made plans for Saturday already. I didn't realize my dad is returning from overseas the same day and I need to stay home and wait for his call to pick him up from the airport. I'm dissappointed that I can't make it. But that will give me time to concentrate on my long term projects. Maybe I can go on Saturday,....maybe.

Jay!
04-17-2005, 12:42 AM
How was day one?Who's still in for day two? I am! :D

willster127
04-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Hopefully see you there Jay, If I wake up in time. It's going to be a late night finishing up my model!!!

Nobbys Nuts
04-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Why don't we have one in Australia or do we? Never heard about it if we do.

MPWR
04-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Where are the bloody pics? Somebody's GOT to have pics!!!!

Scale-Master
04-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I spent so much time working I didn't shoot any, I thought there were more than enough cameras there.
Hey Jay, you had a camera... - Mark

Scale-Master
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
And there is a TamiyaCon in New Zealand isn't there...? I've met two guys from NZ that have won "the trip"... - Mark

Jay!
04-19-2005, 01:19 PM
I have tons of pics... I just need to get them hosted. Stay tuned... ;)

SchuberT
04-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I can help you out with hosting if you need it.

Jay!
04-20-2005, 01:48 PM
I may need it. I killed both my hosts last night, and I can't get a hold of the AF admin to reset my AF FTP access...

:( PM me if you can help...

Here's a small preview:
http://public.fotki.com/SilverS2000/tamiyacon_x/

Amazon
04-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Who´s responsible for that gorgeous black Supra with the Tsunami-logo in the first pics? i saw this one at another site and i was amazed then (and still is) by the engineroom :confused: Anyone here maybe?? :confused:

Jay!
04-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Who´s responsible for that gorgeous black Supra with the Tsunami-logo in the first pics? i saw this one at another site and i was amazed then (and still is) by the engineroom :confused: Anyone here maybe?? :confused:He won the Automotive - Extensive Conversion category. Tamiya hasn't updated their site yet with pictures of anything except the top four winners...

SupaMan89T
04-20-2005, 06:28 PM
He won the Automotive - Extensive Conversion category. Tamiya hasn't updated their site yet with pictures of anything except the top four winners...
that thing is so sexy

Scale-Master
04-21-2005, 06:30 AM
The Tsunami Supra belongs to a very good friend of mine, Steve Keck. He visits here, and yes, that model is awesome, you really have to see it in person to apprieciate all the detail crammed into the engine compartment and interior. Maybe he'll post some pics for everyone here... - Mark

Amazon
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeeii, i found the page containing that Super-Supra!!!
Don´t seem possible to link to the Fotki page, but it´s on Wacky Dave´s page, Modelcar folder, and then subfolder "The southern California 2002" And the click page 10 . Maybe you´ll get there with this description .

racer917
04-21-2005, 11:22 AM
The Tsunami Supra really is an awesome model that needs to be seen to be truly appreciated, just like Scale-Master says. Pictures dont' do it justice. By popular demand here it is:

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/51748IMG_1365_-_80-med.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/51748IMG_1366_-_80-med.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/51748IMG_1367_-_80.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/51748IMG_1370_-_80-med.jpg

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/51748IMG_1373_-_80-med.jpg

Nobbys Nuts
04-23-2005, 02:15 AM
So does the Xanavi Skyline in Jays pics at the end come with an engine or are you allowed to fit an engine etc in Factory stock class at Tamiya Con?

Jay!
04-23-2005, 04:55 AM
Well:

A. They combined the Factory Stock and Race categories this year
B. There don't seem to be any real checks on proper categorization.

At this point anyone who was interested in pics already saw this thread once, so i deleted the batch that was in there and uploaded new ones...

Enjoy! :wave:
http://public.fotki.com/SilverS2000/tamiyacon_x/

Nobbys Nuts
04-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks Jay. Was just curious. Wish we had one here. Might have to slip home to NZ if they have one.
Cheers
Tony

Scale-Master
04-25-2005, 07:15 AM
So does the Xanavi Skyline in Jays pics at the end come with an engine or are you allowed to fit an engine etc in Factory stock class at Tamiya Con?

The category is "1/24 Race and Factory Stock" referring to the subject matter of the real vehicle. Adding an engine and other details are allowed, but those changes would prevent a model from being in the "Out Of The Box" category. - Mark

Nobbys Nuts
04-25-2005, 05:07 PM

The category is "1/24 Race and Factory Stock" referring to the subject matter of the real vehicle. Adding an engine and other details are allowed, but those changes would prevent a model from being in the "Out Of The Box" category. - Mark
Thanks Scalemaster. Thats where I got confused. I wasn't thinking in terms of the real thing.

Add your comment to this topic!