Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

E46 VS the New 3

fairladyz_gt-r
03-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I just got back from the 3 serise debut for Thailand.....i have to say...i am extreamly dissapointed.........The 330i's interior ain't no where close as the old one...the feel's gone i don't feel that the the car was made for the driver it start to feel like emm...camary? where everything is center. and plus the radio and a/c feel soo cheap, the walnut felt like plastic....the back seat though was an huge imporvement, it felt like a bucket sit...and way as for the out side....i don't really like the new look...it look like a sedan 1 from the side...i really think the E46 was much more surpior to the new one...what u guys think? any of u seen and feel the new 3 yet? What u guys think? comparing it with the E46 it replaced...i feel that the E46 was the most perfect most beutiful 3 ever.

But!!
They got good show! :iceslolan good expensive german beer and liqure :iceslolan , soo even though the car was dissapointing it was kinda worth while since i wasn't the driver today :p

PS.sorry for spelling i can't spell - -", and another thing this is debut they didn't offer test drive so i have no idea about the drive. I just wanna know what u guys feel about the overall feel of the car.

crayzayjay
03-22-2005, 10:43 AM
The new 3 is the E90, i edited your poll :)

I just saw my first E90 the other day and it looks a bit better in the skin than in pics. My main problem is still the rear of the car, which looks completely anonymous. But then the E46 saloon doesn't look too special from the back either. 3-series saloons never do, imo.

In terms of the interior, well, it comes down to whether you prefer BMW's new direction of design or the old, driver-oriented one, and i prefer the old.

In terms of driving however, the E90 is supposed to be substantially superior to the E46. If i were in the market for a 3-series i'd go for the coupé so i'm just waiting to see what that will look like, but usually the coupé's look sleeker than the 4-doors so i'm hopeful that it will be a good looking car. E90 for me please.

fairladyz_gt-r
03-22-2005, 11:08 AM
The new 3 is the E90, i edited your poll :)

I just saw my first E90 the other day and it looks a bit better in the skin than in pics. My main problem is still the rear of the car, which looks completely anonymous. But then the E46 saloon doesn't look too special from the back either. 3-series saloons never do, imo.

In terms of the interior, well, it comes down to whether you prefer BMW's new direction of design or the old, driver-oriented one, and i prefer the old.

In terms of driving however, the E90 is supposed to be substantially superior to the E46. If i were in the market for a 3-series i'd go for the coupé so i'm just waiting to see what that will look like, but usually the coupé's look sleeker than the 4-doors so i'm hopeful that it will be a good looking car. E90 for me please.

Thx u for editing, i agree i prefer the driver-oriented one, anyway the E90's interior quality also dropped, to day when i was sitting in the driver sit, everywhere i look and feel are loaded with plastic :nono:
and the Dakota leather sit wasn't very specail....even the 730Li's leather felt more softer and welcoming....Is plastic the thing that's intrend for interior rite now!?

del
03-22-2005, 02:19 PM
yeah, i'm pretty disappointed in the interior of the new 3 series. it really looks cheapened compared to previous bmw's. the exterior rear will also take time to get used to, those tail lights just look like a completely random shape with no real appeal to me. i'm sure it'll drive like a bmw should but lookswise i have to vote 10 to 1 for the E46. haven't driven a new 3 obviously so hard to say how it feels driving ong. the E46's drove pretty nicely though.

porscheguy9999
03-22-2005, 08:41 PM
The front is nice, but the taillights are BOOOOORING! A 6 year old should be able to pick out za BMW from a crowd. But from the back, what is that, a Nissan?

mason_RsX
03-23-2005, 02:14 PM
While I do prefer the old BMW looks and interior I do like the new styling and look, I just think it would have been hard to improve on the old ones charm...especially with conceptual artist/snob/"people will think what I tell them to think looks good" Mr. bangle at the helm

In dealing with performance, however, the new 3 series is supossed to be a major step up...and in my opinion the performance would more than make up for the loss of charm

DinanM3_S2
03-24-2005, 08:37 PM
As far as pure looks, I like the E46 more. I've said this before, but the E46 and the E39 are the two of the best looking sedans ever made. Everything about the E46 is near perfect. There are NO flaws with the appearance of them, none (imo of course). However, the E90 is by no means bad. Everyone complained that the newer 5 and 7 were way too radical, so the E90 was tamed down a little. I like the front, the interior is ok, however they need to make the controls a little more driver oriented like the E46, no flat dash for me. The tail lights are a little wierd, hopefully the coupe will look a little better from behind.

All I can say about the performance of the E90 is that C&D got 0-60 in 5.6. 255hp out of a n/a 3.0L is pretty good in my book. Hopefully it will handle as well or better then the E46.

CrzyMR2T
03-25-2005, 12:31 AM
i also have to agree that the new e90 tail lights are kinda ugly, i hope they change it later on.

i like the front of the e90 better, and the rear of the e46 better. overall id say the e90 looks better. the new e90 3 series got kinda big though in my opinion, maybe the coupe will look better.

mason_RsX
03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
All cars now seem to be marginally increasing in size, just to say they offer more leg room then the previous.

and I don't know what Dinan is talking about he hates BMW, hes just very secretive about it, but I caught him...ask him if I made that quote up!

But the thing that makes BMW such a superior car company is they work to squeeze every little bit out of their engines. thats why the bimmer I6's are the sweetest 6 cylinder engines out there. rather than just boring it out to add power, they make technological enhancements to the existing block to get more hp and torque (not just hp...Honda!)

BUT, if I see one more middle aged mid-upper class man or woman driving a 320i automotic im gonna flip and kick the bumper off! I can't stand those ppl!!

del
03-25-2005, 08:34 PM
All cars now seem to be marginally increasing in size, just to say they offer more leg room then the previous.

and I don't know what Dinan is talking about he hates BMW, hes just very secretive about it, but I caught him...ask him if I made that quote up!

But the thing that makes BMW such a superior car company is they work to squeeze every little bit out of their engines. thats why the bimmer I6's are the sweetest 6 cylinder engines out there. rather than just boring it out to add power, they make technological enhancements to the existing block to get more hp and torque (not just hp...Honda!)

BUT, if I see one more middle aged mid-upper class man or woman driving a 320i automotic im gonna flip and kick the bumper off! I can't stand those ppl!!

i'm surprised Dinan hasn't banned you for your sig. haha. jus playin. i'm just as guilty for givin him a hard time for that. anyway, i don't know what's up with audi and bmw. the B7 A4 looks like a japanese car, more specifically the tail end of a civic. no offense meant but a german luxury car shouldn't be mistaken for a japanese econobox. the headlight and grill treatment of the B7 are also not very attractive. and props to bmw for trying to top the E46 on styling. but the E90 doesn't come close. that's my opinion. is mercedes the only german make left that knows how to make a good looking car - ie sl500, cls, slk, e55 amg mmmmmh. i know looks are subjective but, other than the italians, german cars have long been the most sought-after designs. everyone tries to copy. don't know about these new ones comin out though. [/rant] :p

DinanM3_S2
03-26-2005, 03:49 PM
I think 3 people or so have that quote in their sig now...

porscheguy9999
03-26-2005, 05:46 PM
anyway, i don't know what's up with audi and bmw. the B7 A4 looks like a japanese car, more specifically the tail end of a civic. no offense meant but a german luxury car shouldn't be mistaken for a japanese econobox. the headlight and grill treatment of the B7 are also not very attractive.

How does the new A4 look like a Japanese car? It looks very German too me. And the taillights of a Civic? How? Personally, I like the new Audi grille.

jcsaleen
03-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Sorry but I love the E46 such a road holder... :grinno:

thrasher
03-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Have to wait til the ///M comes out to make a real decision I think. Until then, E46 owns

porscheguy9999
03-31-2005, 07:32 PM
these are spy pics of the new M3 with the V8.

http://tinypic.com/2j724y

http://tinypic.com/2j72br

del
03-31-2005, 08:11 PM
nice find. but too much camo to make a solid judgement call on it. doesn't look all that impressive but we'll have to wait til the camo's off and it's put to the pavement. coz a rwd 400hp V8 and snow don't always mix very well together. haha.

kman10587
03-31-2005, 08:36 PM
The tail lights still seem ugly, and 400 hp seems too much power for a car with the M3's principles of precise design and engineering. The best thing about this, so far, is that E46 M3 prices will drop.

57JagXKSS
04-01-2005, 05:37 PM
I hate the flat dash and the Nissan Primera taillights.

http://www.arabadergisi.com/mp/nissan/primera20-02.jpg

http://www.germancarfans.com/photos/3041026.001/1025.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!