Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Replacing 99 Malibu front hub assembly - Looking for torque specs

dlacourse
03-21-2005, 10:00 PM
I heave searched around this forum, and I am ready to replace a bad front hub assembly. I took the wheels off tonight and soaked everything down with lube. The one thing I cannot find is the torque specs. Does anyone know how many Ft/lbs for the big axle nut and the 3 smaller bolts that are taken out from the inside?
Thanks in advance!

covman454
03-23-2005, 01:30 AM
I've got to do the same thing. In the Chiltons, the big nut is 185 foot lbs. I don't remember the specs for the smaller bolts. I'll be doing the job here in the next few days, and I'm not looking forward to it.

dlacourse
03-23-2005, 11:05 AM
That sounds better. I have a cheap Malibu only Chiltons, and it said the big nut on the axle was 280 ft/lbs. That just didn't sound right. I am stopping at the library to look it up in their big book. I will post them all later tonight. I was taking a look at the axle nut, and it looks like it is wrapped with metal tabs. I really can't describe them - you have to look at it. Any idea if I need to pry those metal tabs up before I put the socket on? I am guessing yes, but I want to check before I start prying and bending things.
Thanks

dlacourse
03-24-2005, 07:44 AM
I looked it up at the library, and the 99 specs are 192 for the big nut, and 70 for the 3 bolts that run from the inside out. Don't worry about it - this really was a peice of cake. The toughest part was getting the old bearing off the shaft. I used a cheap harmonic balancer puller. The holes in the hub didn't line up perfectly, but I got 2 of the three bolts in straight, and the third bolt had a little angle, but it worked.

Add your comment to this topic!