Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

strange old car

sub006
03-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I went to an estate sale in Orange County, California. It was an old house up in the hills. Not attracted to the furniture, dishes, etc. I went out to the barn.

I saw a low shape under a dropcloth, which I pulled off. It was an open car with no top. There were no emblems inside or out, but a few holes where some might have been. The interior had a metal floor and plaid seat covers. There was no upholstery on the doors, just the hollow outer skin (no windows). I don't think it was a race car because it had no roll bar. Maybe it's old enough they didn't have to have one?

The back half of the body tilted up. Underneath was a pancake engine like a VW bus, the strange thing it was ahead of the axle. A refrigerator magnet I borrowed from the house wouldn't stick to the body anywhere, but it seemed awfully thin to have any Bondo.

The front end looked kind of like an MG-A, only wider. lower and with no grille opening. The headlights were covered with ancient masking tape, but it was put on kind of sloppy for doing a paint job.

It's dusty, looks like it hasn't been touched in years but seems complete. There is no title but the lady says I can have a bill of sale if I give her $2500. If I cut the wheel openings out a little I think I can get some wide knobbies on it and use it as a dune buggy. Should have good traction with that engine in the middle. What do you think?

carnutz77459
03-23-2005, 10:21 AM
I went to an estate sale in Orange County, California. It was an old house up in .....
The back half of the body tilted up. Underneath was a pancake engine like a VW bus, the strange thing it was ahead of the axle. A refrigerator magnet I borrowed from the house wouldn't stick to the body anywhere, but it seemed awfully thin to have any Bondo...............There is no title but the lady says I can have a bill of sale if I give her $2500. If I cut the wheel openings out a little I think I can get some wide knobbies on it and use it as a dune buggy. Should have good traction with that engine in the middle. What do you think? :naughty:

You must be kidding right? You are describing a 1955 - 1957 Porsche 550 Spyder with an aluminum body. The car in restored condition is worth $750,000 to $1,000,000. Jerry Seinfeld owns one and I thought that all cars were accounted for (they made a little over 50 of them). Now if the body is fiberglass it might be an old Beck replica with a VW engine.

It sounds like an urban legend that you found a Million dollar car in a barn. Buy it for $2500, take a picture and sell it on ebay.

sub006
03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks for your information. I can'r believe people would pay so much for an old car that can't even outrun a Honda! But I bought it!

It's definitely a metal body. It was really easy to cut the wheel openings begger with aircraft shears, I made real careful cuts and saved the removed metal.

I plan to run it in some sand drags and mud bogs until this pitiful little engine craps out. I think a VW will bolt up and then I'll have some serious horsepower! But I'll save all the old parts just in case somebody wants it someday. Thanks again.

RACER D12
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I hope that wasnt a real 550 Spyder

porscheguy9999
03-23-2005, 07:39 PM
You are turning a 550 Spyder into a DUNE BUGGY?!?! What are you thinking?! You could make crazy $$$ if you restored it! Defiling a 550 like you plan to do should be a crime...

carnutz77459
03-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks for your information. I can'r believe people would pay so much for an old car that can't even outrun a Honda! But I bought it!

It's definitely a metal body. It was really easy to cut the wheel openings begger with aircraft shears, I made real careful cuts and saved the removed metal.

I plan to run it in some sand drags and mud bogs until this pitiful little engine craps out. I think a VW will bolt up and then I'll have some serious horsepower! But I'll save all the old parts just in case somebody wants it someday. Thanks again.

Well, I still think this is a hoax, so post some photos of the engine showing the ignition system and valve covers and if it is a type 547 I'll give you the $2500 you paid for the whole car for the complete engine.

AFA outrunning a Honda, I'll put the 1957 550 up against a comparable 1957 Honda, oh wait, a '57 Honda was a 2 wheeled 50cc motorbike and the 550 won it's class at LeMans 24 hours.

NvrLuVD
03-23-2005, 10:54 PM

I agree with this guy...

are you sure it's a 550 Spyder?
How do WE Know?

NvrLuVD
03-23-2005, 11:00 PM

P.S. Do you really own a F50?

carnutz77459
03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
I agree with this guy...

are you sure it's a 550 Spyder?
How do WE Know?

From the description, metal body, hollow doors, no top, mid air cooled engine, rear hinged motor cover. It has to be a 550 or a hoax. I'll say again to post some pictures of the car and engine. If real, i'll buy the whole car for $10k. :rolleyes:

sub006
03-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Could be a Porsche, so??? The body's cut and I'm pricing hot VW engines.

Waht's the big deal? My unle bought a Duesenberg cheap in the 50's and put a pickup bed on it. After he died, a collector bought it and changed it back to a sedan - no harm done. They're just CARS.

porscheguy9999
03-24-2005, 04:52 PM
JUST CARS???????

A 550 Spyder is not just a car. It's a LEDGEND!

carnutz77459
03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
sub006, Either put up or shut up. Post a picture of your find with the cut out fenders. I figure you are just trying to stir up some crap with the Porsche Lovers that have posted and to them it would be sacralige to find the Holy Grail of racing Porsches in a barn and then turn it into a dune buggy. There is about zero chance that your story is true. If it is then post the evidence.

sub006
03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
It might be a Porsche but somebody beat me to improving it. I traced some pipes from the engine to the front end where I found a RADIATOR. Yup, it's a Subaru engine mounted midships.

Haven't found any numbers on the frame tubes (I assume that's wher to look). Saw a picture of JAmes Dewan with his car in DRIVE and it looked similar but maybe only a homebuilt copy.

Any suggestions to authenticate part of this li'l bastard?

81911targasc
07-26-2005, 11:25 AM
i doubt it is a REAl one it might be a replica

Tabitha22
04-10-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey this really strange to know i cannot imagine that people pay so much for these stupid old cars which are of no use to us in any means and they also try to keep them with them for years without any use ,not only Porsche but different other make and models also are found .

Add your comment to this topic!