Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 honda accord rear drums

jworm420
03-21-2005, 11:16 AM
WEll i was gong to change the rear breaks on my honda this weekend but was not able to do so... I think the car still has the original drums, i was not able to get the rear drums off... now i know with american cars there is an adjuster so you lower the break pads inside the rotor so you can pull the rotor off... i can not find an adjuster on this damn honda... im pretty sure the pads have wore a groove into the inside of the drum, which is preventing me from getting the drum off... Any body know to do... and by the way the E BREAK WAS NOT ENGAGED... if nobody knows then im just gunna have to pry them bastards off the car.

jeffcoslacker
03-21-2005, 12:31 PM
WEll i was gong to change the rear breaks on my honda this weekend but was not able to do so... I think the car still has the original drums, i was not able to get the rear drums off... now i know with american cars there is an adjuster so you lower the break pads inside the rotor so you can pull the rotor off... i can not find an adjuster on this damn honda... im pretty sure the pads have wore a groove into the inside of the drum, which is preventing me from getting the drum off... Any body know to do... and by the way the E BREAK WAS NOT ENGAGED... if nobody knows then im just gunna have to pry them bastards off the car.

ALL drum brakes have a star wheel to adjust. I think it is over the axle on your car, rather than under, which is where you might be looking for the access hole to get to it. Some Jap cars have a countersunk screw that holds the drum onto the hub, it gets lost in the rust sometimes, and you don't notice it, check for that too. Some drums have a knock out you have to break out with a chisel to get to the star wheel. I really don't know what type you have. Been too long since I've looked at one.

jworm420
03-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Ill take another look tonight... well maybe not tonight, my garage isnt heated and i dont like the cold... But any way i searched the thing pretty good for any type of adjustment... the drum does have about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of play so i dont think it has a knock out... i know there is two small round disks on the back of the rear breaks... they look like the back side of a pop rivit... allthough i didnt check them real well to see if the come out to allow access to the adjuster, im gunna see if they pop out and allow access.... thanks for the help... will let you know what i find.

phantastic1
03-21-2005, 06:18 PM
not sure about that year...but see if there's 2 holes on the face of the drum where you can drive a bolt into. if your's have that...then just find 2 bolts w/ that thread and drive them in until the drum is loose enough to work out by hand.

jeffcoslacker
03-21-2005, 06:28 PM
not sure about that year...but see if there's 2 holes on the face of the drum where you can drive a bolt into. if your's have that...then just find 2 bolts w/ that thread and drive them in until the drum is loose enough to work out by hand.

Forgot about those, you're right. 2-5/16"x2" bolts will work.

jworm420
03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
yeah they do have two threded bolt holes... Good idea, ill gets some bolts and just drive the drum off... The front disks have those holes as well but you actually use them to hold the rotor on, weird that the drums have those holes but they are used to push the drum off... thanks for the help, will let yall know how it goes.

jworm420
03-22-2005, 11:20 AM
oh and are you sure its a 5/16" bolt... if so ill just go pick a couple of them up at true value.

jeffcoslacker
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Actually it's been many years, but that seems right. That or 1/4"

jeffcoslacker
03-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Actually it's been many years, but that seems right. That or 1/4"

5/16" and 8mm are the same size, one of the few that has a metric equivalent, so that's more likely.

jeffcoslacker
03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Just hold an 8mm wrench end over the hole, and see if it appears the same size. If so, it's 5/16"

jworm420
03-23-2005, 09:28 AM
cool... im not goig to work on it till friday... i dont have to work good friday so ill work in the garage. thank for the help

Add your comment to this topic!