Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

all-in-one signal switch.... 1998 Jimmy

bigbadbowtie
03-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Ok guys..... I now have no brake lights or hazards and have traced the problem to the hazard switch. If I lightly push the hazard switch to the side I my break lights/hazards will work.

How hard is this to change??? anyone done it. My haynes manual only shows the older vehicle with no air bag.

Let me know if anyone has done this before and what is involved.

Thanks

Blue99JimmyEnvoy
03-21-2005, 09:36 AM
It is tedious but not difficult. You have to remove the kickplate under the steering wheel to get to the electrical connections. This also entails removing the parking brake release handle (much like a bicycle brake, remove tension from the cable, and then the cable can be pulled free from the retainer on the pedal).
It also requires the steering wheel be removed, the procedures for that can be found in the Haynes manual. I got mine from the dealer for about $150. After removing all this, it is just two torx screws (T20 if I remember correctly, but not sure). One on top, one looked like it also attached the lower shroud for the column also.
Like I said, tedious in the fact that you have to remove a bunch of stuff to get to it, but not hard work. Be patient if you run into problems. Took me about 3 hours (most of which was also caused due to 35 degrees and a biting wind). Hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!