Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AT to MT problems i've ran into

SoNiCfOsHo
03-21-2005, 12:15 AM
i just swapped a 95' LS 5 speed tranny in to my 96 integra ls, but some problems have occured along the way...

First off...
the tranny mounts on the passenger side didn't align right and so i had to remove the back bracket and force the mounts to fit..now the engine is snuggled really tight and my mounts are being really stressed...i know its a going to be a problem in the long run, and i went to the acura dealership and asked them if the mounting is different. They told me its all the same from 94 and up. Any suggestions?

Secondly...
My reverse lights dont work!!!!!why? and how can i fix that?

Oh and yea for all you people that have automatic trannys in your integras, its a really easy swap other than the problems that i've ran into...I jumped the clutch wiring so i don't have to use the clutch to start my car. mainly because i have a remote start alarm system, and i needed to do that...i mean, i ran into minor problems, but nothing extreme where i didn't know what to do..the only real pain-in-the-butt thing i had to do was under the center console there was a strip of metal that blocked the shift linkage to align correctly, so i had to cut that chunk of metal off which took my a few hours....but all in all, my friend and i finished it in 3 full days...If you want to know what you'll need exactly holler at my thread and ill be more than happy to list what i needed for everything...

eMbrace
03-26-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey, i was wondering if you could give me some information on how to swap my transmission for a B18B motor. I want to change the transmission only.. not the engine.. will the engine work with the new transmission? How much do you think it'll cost? Or if anybody would help me out... with links.. to buy the parts.. and instructions.. that would be very helpful thx

CBURKE
03-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Are you useing your stock AT mounts or the MT mounts?

eMbrace
03-26-2005, 03:33 PM
yeah.. imma b using the same mounts the AT mount.. only thing i want to change would be the tranmission.. i noe i have to get a new brake pad because the clutch probably won't fit in there with the stock pads because its takin up too much room. Can i jus replace the AT gears with the MT gears or would i have to cut out some room or something. what do you think the estimated cost would be?

SoNiCfOsHo
03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
well we tried using the AT mounts on my tranny but the spacing differed because the manual tranny was a little bit smaller in horizontal length. We then tried to use the MT mounts and the top bracket fit, yet the back mount couldn't fit. So we took off the bracket and then pushed the whole engine up so the mount could fit...So basically right now its really ghetto rigged..and the higher my RPMs are, the more my shifter is shaking. i think that problem is because of the bracket that i took off that holds the tranny in place....AND CAN SOMEONE please tell me why i have to drop it in first before going reverse?!?!

SoNiCfOsHo
03-26-2005, 06:19 PM
yeah.. imma b using the same mounts the AT mount.. only thing i want to change would be the tranmission.. i noe i have to get a new brake pad because the clutch probably won't fit in there with the stock pads because its takin up too much room. Can i jus replace the AT gears with the MT gears or would i have to cut out some room or something. what do you think the estimated cost would be?

Ummm the brake pad has nothing to do with swapping out your tranny...but i think you mean the pedals? if so, you'll have to get the whole clutch pedal assembly, including the brake, accelator, and the clutch pedal. it was a bitch to take out and put on because the steering wheel crap was all in our way.

Me and my friend swapped a whole EVO V engine and an LSD Tranny into his mirage and we had very little problems in doing so. Every bracket and mount was used and etc. But for some dam reason my LS ENGINE and my LS Manual TRANNY cannot be put together correctly...but i spent 600 dollars on my parts and 300 to my boi..but i got estimates from places and if you get your own parts, the labor can go from 550-1000 dollars. So if you plan to swap, do your research before anything, because it will kick you in your ass, like it did to mine.

:banghead:

eMbrace
03-28-2005, 04:46 AM
do you recommend that i do the swap? also can u give me some imput on where to buy some of the parts... so it won't kick my ass in the long run by wastin the money and having somethin wrong with it. like what you said.. you had to go reverse before you can go into 1st gear. how hard is it from 1-10 and how much experience do you have or knowledge of cars. because i noe a friend will help me do the AT to MT conversion and i trust him because he put his Turbo engine into his supra including every other parts.. clutch, transmission, and etc. his car is running.. pretty good.. all hes missin is an intake.. which will come on monday. thx

yeah.. i meant the pedals.. lol is there already a space open for the clutch pedals and etc.. i haven't checked yet.. i have mat covering the whole bottom.. so maybe i'll check

SoNiCfOsHo
03-30-2005, 01:50 AM
from 1- 10, its probably a 7 or 8...its not easy but its not THAT hard...everything is plug-n-play....i only recommend that you do a swap, if you're hobby is fixin up your car yourself...its not worth paying the labor and the transmission unless its you thats putting it in...if you have the heart and desire to hook up your car, its YOU that'll do the research and YOU that will put it in....if you're one of those people who are illiterate with cars and make mechanics or friends do it, its really not worth it..trust me...theres no fun in anything when its not you that puts the effort to make it fun.....its pricey...i mean im 21 and i have a lot of expenses, and swapping the tranny wasn't what i called "fitting in my expenses"...but it was worth it only because i put it in with my friend...if your not going to put it in yourself because lack of knowledge or lack of tools...just sell your car and buy a stick.....its better off in the long run anyways...like i said....DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! THEN SWAP YOUR TRANNY...find out problems that may occur and how to resolve it, cause im that situation as i speak.....so take my advice...do your research...make sure it reliable...and then invest and then swap it yourself, or get it professionally done

SoNiCfOsHo
03-31-2005, 04:35 PM
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION???its really important...i know one of yall did a swap like this~

Driverman5777
01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I am starting to collect parts for a GSR tranny swap into my 2001 Integra Auto. I have the clutch master and slave cyllinders and I got a obd1 conversion harness for a new ecu. What else do I need for the swap. Brackets, Half-shafts, etc...

96 civicturbo
01-10-2006, 07:29 PM
look for the same year as the tranny, and get those mounts. I did a tranny swap in my car from AT to MT, and I had to repl the back mount that hold the motor and tranny, upper and lower tranny mount to. I went to the dealer and ordered the right ones for the year of the car, so I knew they were right. After I got those mounts everything bolted right up

Add your comment to this topic!