Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you remove clear coat?

Deadhead
03-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I have an old honda that has about half of the clear coat peeling off. What is the best way to remove this?

I have tried this Turtle Wax heavy duty rubbing thing that this guy at the local autoparts store suggested i use. I tried it, but it didn't take it off. I'm afraid to use a sander because i don't want to mess up the paint

Is there a better way to use this?

Any tips?

cbeck
03-20-2005, 10:08 PM
With a clear chisel? :D

maybe try a pressure washer... took the rest of the clear coat off the roof of my saturn. But if you run into c.c. that is still well bonded, without sanding, I think your sol.

phantastic1
03-21-2005, 01:21 AM
the clear coat is there to not only give your paint a shiny look...but to protect the base coat (paint). if you remove the clear coat...weather will eventually damage the paint. im sure anything thats strong enough to remove the clear coat would probably remove the paint too. your best bet is probably wet sanding it w/ 800 -1000 grit sandpaper.

StealthSonic
03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Sand the entire area with #1000 sandpaper until the entire surface is matt looking but don't sand the paint. Its very hard to sand the paint out unless you have rusty area or you have peeling paint.

Wash the entire working area with water and whipe it dry with towel.

Spray clear coat (if possible.) spray it as even as you can. Than sand it down again very lightly with #1000 sandpaper until the clear coat is matt again.

Than wax the entire area with any wax, use buffer if possible. I recommen liquid type wax.

Now your car should shine like new!

You can also do this with minor scratches area or chipped paint. For chipped paint, make sure you have the right color. Simply apply the paint and sand it down and wax it back. Be patient while sanding your car. Take your time, if you rushed it, it will look like crap.

Add your comment to this topic!