Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

safety feature, or prob??

mai0f
03-19-2005, 11:37 PM
i bought my malibu used about 2 yares ago, it's a 1998 V6, 3.1L

and i noticed a while back (about a year ago) that it wont go past 4k RPM, and i thought it was a safety feature, but just last week a friend told me that it should atleast get to 5500....

anyone?

thanks,
mai0f

igkyoa
03-20-2005, 12:17 AM
for some reason the malibu was designed so that when it is in park or neutral (while not moving) the engine is govrened to 4000 rpm. try coasting in neutral and then see how high it will go. it should go much higher, if not then there is something seriously wrong.

gapboi210
03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
even while in neutral or park, the rev limiter should be around 3500-4000 rpm. This is a safety feature. This is there because it is very easy to blow a motor by "free spinning" it. This means you are reving the motor with no load on it. The engine is turning fast but there is no restriction on the motor such as wind resistance or weight of the vehicle. Another way to test it is get the car to about 30-34 MPH let off the gas and let the transmission shift to the lowestg gear, floor it. The car should downshift into 1st gear and redline itself into second. Impressive torque there too.

Add your comment to this topic!