Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Noise?

clfx35
03-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Has anybody had the ticking engine problem in their 2005 taco? Going up hills and upon acceleration it tends to be a very noisy tick. I have read other forums with guys having the same problem. I am going to the dealership on Monday and I am prepared to hear the famous phrase (it's normal) from these guys (Deihl Toyota, York Pa). Another problem I seem to be having is a flutter noise coming from behind the guages on the drivers side. It sounds like a fan hitting something like a piece of cardboard off an on until the engine is warm. It then seems to go away. This is only after a cold start in the morning. A couple of times it has gotten so loud that it resonated throughout the whole cab. These things are kind of hard to take when you spend 30 k on a new Vechile. I am going to the dealer to have these things on record. Anybody have any thoughts on these issues???

gb643dp
08-09-2005, 02:00 PM
I've noticed the same thing on my '05 Tacoma, I just got it 2 weeks ago and I thought it was strange to have that ticking noise. In fact, I'm going to the dealership today to test drive another Tacoma to see if it's normal. Let you know how it goes.

VFR800
08-10-2005, 06:31 AM
When I got mine, I saw a sticker under the hood that gave valve lash specifications.

I questioned this to find out that there is an adjustment that should be checked at some higher mileage point.

It is always possible that the factory setting was incorrect and one or more of the valves could be too loose. That in fact was the case with a Honda I had. An exhaust valve was .003 out of spec to the loose side.

gb643dp
08-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at that.

I did take another Tacoma for a test drive yesterday. Everything was the same as the truck I have. It felt, sounded, and drove the same. I feel a little better but I'll take a look at the valve specs. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!