Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 s-10

16th hippy
03-19-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a 98 checy s-10, 2.2L 5 speed. am trying to do a clutch job, and can't get the trans out. top two bellhousing bolts are extremely hard to get to. :angryfire :banghead: :banghead: "autozone's" online deal says to use a long extension and a swivel socket.....but i don;t think that will fit. the drivers side bolt is loose, but it looks to hit the bulkhead(firewall) if i try to back it out all the way. the passenger side one is behind a couple fuel lines, but might be able to be gotten to like that. So far i have tried everything i can think of besides that, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

EightyZ
03-19-2005, 05:26 PM
small wrench. that what i would use.

16th hippy
03-19-2005, 06:11 PM
tried that, but the smallest 18mm i can find still isn't small enough...plus i still can't get to the other one.....but thanks for the reply though.

OverBoardProject
03-19-2005, 08:27 PM
It's been 8 months or so.. but if I remember correctly I jacked up the transmission as high as I could and was able to use a regular sized wrench from the top.
you won't be able to remove the bolt until the transmission is partly out. Don't forget to put them in before you raise the transmission back into place. Use heavy grease to hold them in place

to be perfectly honest mine's an auto, behind a 2.8 so that trick might not work with your truck.

16th hippy
03-19-2005, 08:46 PM
sounds like it might work, but after almost 8 straight hours of working on it, i am starting to think this has been done before, and someone messed up....or the frame and body is really messed up...do beleive the truck had an accident before i bought it. problem i am having is i am now broke from buying all kinds of tools and parts, then more tools thinking i might be able to get it another way. I have a serious lack of the propper tools for this job...using a floor jack for the tranny(been done before and works well), and some wrenches and sockets. Thought about dropping the motor mounts to lower the engine and trans, but don't have another jack, or all the tools needed. air tools would be nice...lol at this point it looks like i will have to have a shop do it, but luckily it's labor only as i have the new flywheel and new clutch kit....just gotta figure out how to pay for it. Thanks for all the advice though! :disappoin :banghead: :banghead:

OverBoardProject
03-19-2005, 10:30 PM
well all those tools will pay for themselves within 2 years. If your like me within 3 months.

It would actually be nice if this forum would list other s-10 owners in your city. And a way for them to comunicate with each other, and make helping each other out easy. There are so many jobs like yours where I'm sure that you would like some help, and you could help out another s-10 owners that needs a hand bleeding brakes or something.

It's a way for us to all learn things, and to get our trucks fixxed properly, and affordably

16th hippy
03-20-2005, 07:21 AM
couldn't agree more. thing is, i pretty much know what i can do to finally get it out, but i am a broke student right now, will have to wait till payday to try again.

ALMB~Nova
03-20-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't know if you tried this, but it might work. put two bolts back in the tranny-lowest one on both sides. then let the jack down all the way and see if you may be able to reach them.

OverBoardProject
03-20-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't know if you tried this, but it might work. put two bolts back in the tranny-lowest one on both sides. then let the jack down all the way and see if you may be able to reach them.

Trust me, that won't work.
It'll tilt it closer to the fire wall.

Thanks for the idea though

dugie6551
03-21-2005, 07:24 AM
I have removed both manual and auto transmissions from earlier 2.8L S10s. I have always been able to "tilt" the motor and trans down from the back of the trans to get at the top bolts. I don't know if this will work on the 2.2L engine, but they are the same transmission bolt patterns.

I'm not sure if that will help you, but I do have some advice when you get it out. Try and bend back or dent the floor board / trans tunnel with a hammer to make it easier in the future to get the bolts.

Good luck!!! and let us know how it went when you get it done, so everyone can learn.

16th hippy
03-21-2005, 08:53 PM
thing is, i have no way to jack up the motor...did think of that though, and would work if i had the equipment. At this point, am gonna have to put it in a shop and let them deal with it. jacking up the front of the motor would work, but i have to leave the truck completely on the ground just to get the floor jack i have to reach the tranny. no other way for me to do it without access to a lift, a good tall (screw kind) jack stand, and a normal tall tranny jack. Thanks for the replies though.

OverBoardProject
03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
You can drive the truck onto some scrap 2x4, or 2x6 to raise it up just enough, and extend your jacks lift by placing a chunk of 4x4 on it. Just don't move the jack, or truck, and whatever you do don't work under it unless there is no chance of the motor or anything else falling on you.

I also often place scrap 2x6 blocks under my medium sized floor jack to raise it some more.

For bigger jobs I've even built a small raised platform out of stacked 2x6 nailed together

If you don't have any scraps of wood just go down to a construction site and talk to the foreman. He'll probably set you up

And you should probably be watching the pawn shops and yard sales for the tools you need when you have more money Plus a used set of ramps will make future jobs easier

Add your comment to this topic!