Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99exp --> Do you recommend Head Gasket Liquid Aluminum?

case2k5
03-19-2005, 03:38 PM
I have a 1999 Expedition and my coolant is leaking out from the back of the engine. I purchased a stop leak product that will stop the leak from anywhere in the cooling system including the head gasket and engine block. 1st of all, is this product recommended and if so, what is the procedure on getting directly into the radiator bypassing the coolant reservoir?

Thanks for any help.

way2old
03-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Have you checked to see exctly where the coolant is leaking? It may just be a hose or hose clamp that is causing the leak.

case2k5
03-21-2005, 12:31 AM
The leak is coming from I believe is the weep hole of the water pump. It looks like an overflow hole. Will the stop leak work for the water pump?

way2old
03-21-2005, 06:57 AM
I would have the water pump replaced. Those stop leak products will do more damage than good in the long run. In your original post, you stated coolant leak from back of engine. So, if the water pump is leaking, is it running down the oil pan lip and dripping on the rear of engine? Sort of confusing.

case2k5
03-21-2005, 11:08 AM
the leak appears to be coming out of a drain hole right where 2 pipes connect towards the bottom. what could this be? whats ythe best way to diagnose this?

way2old
03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
I looked in service manual and I don't really know what you are describing. We only have 5 Expys in our fleet and none are in the shop right now. The water pump is a small round thing that is easily seen if it is leaking out of the weep hole. Will continue to search for you though. The only thing I saw that had 2 hoses connected was the oil cooler. Don't give up. Will find what it is if I have to call one in off the street. :evillol:

case2k5
03-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Could u send your email address so I can send u a picture of the leaking hole? Thank u 4 all your help.

way2old
03-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Click on my username and there is a place to e-mail. Will answer as soon as I can find it.

case2k5
03-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Click on my username and there is a place to e-mail. Will answer as soon as I can find it.

The link says I cannot email to you. How can I get these pics 2 u?

way2old
03-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Fixed it. I forgot to turn on the e mail :banghead: . Try again.

way2old
03-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Have you determined where the leak is coming from? You may need to have it pressure tested so the leak will show easier.

case2k5
03-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Have you determined where the leak is coming from? You may need to have it pressure tested so the leak will show easier.

It looks like the leak is coming from the engine block crack right
above the small heater hose you are talking about and the exhaust
manifold section where the 2 bolts connect it together. what should i
do now? is there any way to test this further?

way2old
03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Have it pressure tested. There is a good possibility it is leaking from the intake gasket.

case2k5
03-24-2005, 03:05 PM
You recommend I take it to a mechanic or should I buy the pressure tester and do it myself?

way2old
03-24-2005, 03:18 PM
That is dependant upon your mechanical abilities. A good pressure tester is fairly expensive. If you feel you can do the diagnosis and repair, then do it. If you are hesitant about it, take it to a reputable shop. You may get it diagnosed and be able to repair it yourself. If it is a major repair, then again, it is up to you and your abilities. Good luck whichever way you go. But, let me know what the repair is. Thanks. Feel like I know you personally now.

case2k5
03-24-2005, 03:42 PM
That is dependant upon your mechanical abilities. A good pressure tester is fairly expensive. If you feel you can do the diagnosis and repair, then do it. If you are hesitant about it, take it to a reputable shop. You may get it diagnosed and be able to repair it yourself. If it is a major repair, then again, it is up to you and your abilities. Good luck whichever way you go. But, let me know what the repair is. Thanks. Feel like I know you personally now.

No, thank you. I appreciate all your help. Do you have any auto repair recommendations? Possibly, Pepboys or no?

way2old
03-24-2005, 06:26 PM
Whatever shop you feel comfortable with in your area. Good luck and I hope it is a simple fix.

Acura1212
08-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Quick question. Did you try the liquid stop leak? and how did it work for you/ how long?

Add your comment to this topic!