Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starter & more problems

scooter80
03-19-2005, 11:23 AM
My starter broke at the top of the bell housing. (98 Intrigue with 3.8) Replaced it but I have lots more problems. When I manually rotate the motor, it hits on something so I am assuming it is out of time. None of our auto stores have a repair book. Is their anything available for downloading online? Or can someone trouble shoot this for me? My son is on spring break next week and is itching to take it all apart!! Thanks. Scooter80

kmohr3
03-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but is it possible a piece of the broken starter is hung up in the flywheel/bell housing/torque converter area causing the engine not to turn? Can you turn the engine either way?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 3.8 liter is not an interference engine, so even if it jumped time you should still be able to physically turn the motor.

BTW, do you know what made the starter break?

scooter80
03-19-2005, 06:41 PM
We can turn the engine one way then it stops. Then you can turn it back the other way and it stops.
I don't know what an interference engine is?
I just got in the car to start it one day and when I turned the key I thought my transmission fell out because it made a big clank. Then after a couple tries of it being dead, I had no lights of any kind so a friend tried to jump it thinking it was a battery. No go. Then I got under it and looked at starter. When I finally got it off, it was in 2 pieces-completely broke off at the top. I can't see that there is a piece missing but I will try to look to see if something else has broken off. Thanks for any help I can get. Scooter

kmohr3
03-19-2005, 06:59 PM
An interference motor means that if the chain or belt that drives the cam breaks or jumps, (making the engine go out of time), the pistons can collide with the open valves causing severe mechanical damage. This can also cause the engine to not turn over. However I think your engine is the non-interference type.

It does sound kind of weird the way your starter broke.

I guess the question is.... was the motor locked up before the starter broke? was the starter breaking the cause of the motor to lock up?

Maybe taking the starter back off and looking for any foreign material might find something. Maybe try turning the engine over by hand while the starter is off. Check the torque converter bolts, maybe one has started to back out, making the motor hang up - good luck with this one.

scooter80
03-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks-will work on it tomorrow and let you know if I find anything unusual. Just hate to tear into it!!

Add your comment to this topic!