Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine Swap advice needed

Mugen_R
03-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Hi, I got a friend who has the 88-91 HOnda Civic HB, and one of his cylinders are messed up so he wants to get a 1992 Honda Civic HB Engine and swap it into his 88-91 Civic HB.
I know it's possible but how much will it most likely cost????
Would this swap be worth doing?????
I will be showing him this thread to prove to him what you guys say.

mellowboy
03-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_R
Hi, I got a friend who has the 88-91 HOnda Civic HB, and one of his cylinders are messed up so he wants to get a 1992 Honda Civic HB Engine and swap it into his 88-91 Civic HB.
I know it's possible but how much will it most likely cost????
Would this swap be worth doing?????
I will be showing him this thread to prove to him what you guys say.

Ok what model is his car? Dx, si,std? Also what model is the ' 92 engine he wants? If anything...he should keep his tranny because u don't have to convert to cable to hydro. Just get the long block. If your gettin the v-tec one then u'll need the ex/si ecu. Other than that it should be a bolt on process. About the price..it depends on the mileage and i can't really give you a quote on that. I'd say pay no more than 300 for it. Or tell him to get a ZC swap? Its gonna cost around..500 - 800.

Mugen_R
03-29-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by mellowboy

Ok what model is his car? Dx, si,std? Also what model is the ' 92 engine he wants? If anything...he should keep his tranny because u don't have to convert to cable to hydro. Just get the long block. If your gettin the v-tec one then u'll need the ex/si ecu. Other than that it should be a bolt on process. About the price..it depends on the mileage and i can't really give you a quote on that. I'd say pay no more than 300 for it. Or tell him to get a ZC swap? Its gonna cost around..500 - 800.

His engein that he has now is a Si, I think DX(but not sure).

He wants to swap into a 92 Civic Si engine.

I don't think he'll be getting into vtec.

mellowboy
03-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Mugen_R

His engein that he has now is a Si, I think DX(but not sure).

He wants to swap into a 92 Civic Si engine.

I don't think he'll be getting into vtec.

Well first of all the '92 si is a sohc v-tec engine code..d16z6. How does his stock engine manifold looks like? If he has a the si engine from a 88-91 then the block should say d16a6 sohc non v-tec. The 92 si engine he can use his exsisting tranny. I think he has to convert the non obd to obd1. He needs to get the ecu for that 92 si engine. Thats about it i think.:)

Mugen_R
03-29-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by mellowboy

Well first of all the '92 si is a sohc v-tec engine code..d16z6. How does his stock engine manifold looks like? If he has a the si engine from a 88-91 then the block should say d16a6 sohc non v-tec. The 92 si engine he can use his exsisting tranny. I think he has to convert the non obd to obd1. He needs to get the ecu for that 92 si engine. Thats about it i think.:)

He told me that the previous owner swaped the engine into the civic, so he bought it with the si engine, but I don't know how to distinguish if it's SI or not, to be sure he dosne't mess up when swapping.

Add your comment to this topic!