Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

bad throttle positioning sensor?

saenz
03-18-2005, 07:11 PM
how do i know if the throttle positioning sensor is bad. i have a high eratic idle when in park and when driving down the road if i try to speed up the rmp will shoot up way high before going. i have an automatic trans that was just rebuit. so im all out of ideas.

k3smostwanted
03-18-2005, 10:40 PM
how do i know if the throttle positioning sensor is bad. i have a high eratic idle when in park and when driving down the road if i try to speed up the rmp will shoot up way high before going. i have an automatic trans that was just rebuit. so im all out of ideas.

it could possibly be the TPS or the wiring to it...next time you have a high idle, try wiggling the wires to the TPS sensor and see if the idle fluctuates. if it does, you know what your problem is.

anyways, a bad TPS or shorted TPS wire will fluctuate the idle speed like you said. definitely a possibilty along with a few others.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-19-2005, 03:56 AM
my tps is all messed up it doesnt wanna idle worth shyt cause the wiresd came out of the plug and plug s corroded so i had to bend the prongs out on plug and place wires in it and crimp it again then tape it up temporarily till i get anuther tps plus

going out tomorrow junkyard hunting to get my parts i need

saenz
03-19-2005, 06:10 AM
thanks guess i'll go buy a new one to see if thats the problem thanks

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-19-2005, 11:19 PM
yah so when i rigged my tps it works great now idles nice and smooth ..

yah so went to a junkyard and didnt find any Z's even though the guy said "oh yah we have a couple out there"

bullshit .. took some pics of some dumb funny shyt also tried teaking a set of 4 piston calipers off a 2nd gen rx7 --my next car i freakin want-- well took drivers side off after straining then took the top bolt off caliper on passenger then went for second bolt and that biznitch felt like it was welded on lol so i had my snapon wratchet and after like 1 hr of working i went out to my car got my cheater bar put it on it and bam broke my wratchet internal gears so now any stress it slips so i gotta go back tomorrow with my trust 3 foot breaker bar lol oh and yah get a new wratchet replaced for free

found about 60 listings for junkyards in my area of 25 miles so ima try and see if any are open on sunday check a couple more out..
think i pulled every muscle in my body it feels like tryin to get that damn 18mm bolt out

Hodo
03-20-2005, 12:01 AM
LOL thats funny Extreme.... I was there on friday working on a Cougers rear brakes. It eat my 3/8ths air wratchet...... so that set me back 100 bucks for it to get fixed.

stephenp
03-20-2005, 08:08 AM
is it a z32 or z31 ? sorry im not familiar with the z32 but on the z31 it only senses no throttle , and full throttle on automatics to tell it to down shift sorry im not familiar with the z32 if uits a z32 these guys are priobably right

saenz
03-20-2005, 08:08 PM
yeah extreme i went to sum local yards myself over 1/2 of them didnt have any Z's the ones that did dint have the parts i needed damn my luck i did however find one w/ 3 in the yard but they are asking double the price what the other yards are asking for not to mention not damn one around here are open on sat. just pisses me off. so im just going to have to get the cmu read. just hope i dont get raked thru the mud if so i just might sell the car and try t get a newer 1

archangel_pandion
03-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Im thinking that a TPS on a z31 is only on or off. I did some testing to my z31 a while back trying to figure out a idle problem and it worked on a curv. Later I tested again and it was only on/off, so i replaced it and still its on/off, im told that means the ECU is bad but I have not verified that yet.

Hey-
Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE Flat Screens!
It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff!
All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it!
Usually attempting to sign up for a credit card is the best way to go.
I hope to see lots of people doing the same. So everyone can have a free flat screen.
Here is my referral link. To help me get my Flat Screen, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
http://www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=16428151
Thanks.
I dont mean to advertise but I want a flat screen for free.

k3smostwanted
03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
dude your gonna get banned if you keep up that advertisement stuff...just forewarning you.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-20-2005, 11:28 PM
yah wus sup well i went back out today and broke it loose tried to go to some uther yards but no luck on the Z's there....

took some pics of some hondas and some utehr funny shyt ill probably post ..

stephenp
03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
if the throttle position sensor for a z31 went onto form a curve,ie increase or decrease in resistance it is not good it works on 3 different settings idle(connection a & b are joined), depressed throttle except full throttle (which is open as in no connection) and full throttle aka wot aka floored aka call it what you want(which wires b & c are joined)

no bad computer or anything if it works like that and also the full throttle switch is only used in automatic transmissions as a kickdown setting

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-22-2005, 11:58 PM
hey does anyone know what year mustang exactly is the MAF upgrade for our z31's..

stephenp
03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
i wanna know that too so if anyone does know the info would be appreciated to be able to squeze the extra ponies out

k3smostwanted
03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
hey does anyone know what year mustang exactly is the MAF upgrade for our z31's..

i think it is the mid 90's...but i dont really know. try getting in touch with JWT. they will know...

BTW: your probably not gonna see any power increase from an upgraded MAF until you reach some pretty good size numbers with the Z31. the stock MAF shoud be more than qualified to handle light modding.

stephenp
03-23-2005, 07:01 PM
current mods 12 psi (externally mounted spring so no bleed off), 3" straight pipes, tricked comp to run richer, trick ignition system (aka trick plugs(nonresister type), accel superstock custum wires, blaster 2 coil), oil cooler for tubo, and lots of heat wrap. what else is there aside from a cam and i cant find one ANYWHERE can you please tell me.

hopefully i can find some nissan truck motor at the yard so i can play dumb and keep the stock higher comp pistons in and boost it (ill; change the cams first though) but anyway what elkse can i do for engine performance please help me

k3smostwanted
03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
what else is there aside from a cam and i cant find one ANYWHERE can you please tell me.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
have you or anyone done the TB upgrade ---

taking the TB off ('89-'91 year models w/KA24(e) DOHC 4-Cylider Engine) the nissan brand stampes right on it will bolt right up to the z31 plenum with no mofifications whatsoever The Hitachi type requires very littel modification s to install on the z31

now ive talked to a couple people that have done this and said it increased their low end power pretty noticibly and was wonderin if anyone here has ever done this..

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=374794

did you not see that thread? i worked so hard on it and got nota much but a comment or 2 and a couple flames...

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 12:52 AM
was taht a TB from a 240 or just a replacement of a bigger diameter...

those who flamed dont know shyt

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 12:59 AM
from the nissan stanza... same as the 240sx, but i think the coolant nipples mightbe different... i dunno.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 01:06 AM
yah they are the same off the stanza 240 and the truck if its a nissan brand but like i said the hitachi requires little mod..

so do u notice some low end power increases , can you feel a differance...

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 01:12 AM
yes i can definitely feel a difference, mostly when the engine's cool (hasn't reached full temp) i seem to lose quite a bit of power once the engine has warmed up... like a very noticeable difference... i wonder what that could be? maybe something's screwed up in the ecu after the increased airflow, and it's only making power in cold engine loop when it's actually getting enough fuel.... i wonder if there's a way to bypass that?

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 01:28 AM
do you have all your vacuum lines hooked up..

well computer automatically richens up the mixture during open loop so the larger diameter TB increases airflow...

so maybe when the computer goes into closed loop it leans out the mixture is what it does and since all that extra air is there maybe its not compensating ..

shouldnt be enough to mess it up like that i wouldnt think maybe if you upgraded you MAF that would doit unles yuve done that already..

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 01:34 AM
who knows could also be your o2 sensor

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 02:13 AM
i wonder if there's a way to be able to keep the ecu in open loop or switch it to closed loop with the flick of a switch...

k3smostwanted
03-24-2005, 07:22 PM
i wonder if there's a way to be able to keep the ecu in open loop or switch it to closed loop with the flick of a switch...

im wondering if you have a faulty sensor. you have been getting noticeably poor gas mileage and less performance when at normal temp. neither problems are supposed to be there.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 09:45 PM

umm well for the ECU to go into closed loop the o2 has to be up to operating temperature which is like 600 degrees F...

there is because they have o2 simulators which is just some resistors hooked up to the wire going to the ecu which tricks it into thinking o2 is up to temp..

so yah there is a way just look into o2 simulators i used to have an article on how to make one its easy just go to radio shack ill try to find the papers i have them somewhere in all my books and ill post em ..

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
maybe i've got a bad o2 sensor... that'd explain the weird idle issues, bad gas mileage and poor performance... i wonder if they're the same on the turbo z as they are on the n/a... if so i might be able to get a used one... but depending on how expensive they are, i might just get it from the local autoparts store... probably get a fuel filter while i'm there too... maybe that'll be my saturday project...

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 10:13 PM
yah u usually dont wanna get the o2 used its always best to get that part new ..

yah my saturday project im gunna get a new dipstick cause mine you cant tell where the oil is at worth a crap and ima change my oil fuel filter and maybe some other things

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 10:24 PM
yeah i've found that with my dipstick as well, doesn't work worth SHIT... can NEVER tell how much oil is in there, i'm allways afraid of the oil being used up or something... allways keep a close eye on my oil pressure guage when driving hard... how would you make a new one? just get a piece of metal and line up the fill lines on it?

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 10:33 PM
well im gunna buya new one ...

you can buy a universal one just compare the dipsticks to tell where the old says it is normal level and compare it to the new one so u knwo where to look ..

yah i have alot of trouble just tryin to tell yesterday when i checked it it took melike 10 mins cause i kept checking it and it turned up diff everytime lol ..

DeleriousZ
03-24-2005, 10:54 PM
lol yeah i get that too... what was nissan thinking?

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 11:04 PM
lol i have no clue tahst the first car its ever happened to me..

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-24-2005, 11:08 PM
oh ayh and on top of that i needa new oil pressure sending unit lol ....

stephenp
03-25-2005, 06:32 AM
well personnally i dont have any problems on reading my oil allthough i might have once or twice the first couple times actually i have trouble only cuz my oil is always clear ALWAYS but i knida like the design it always goes in nice and comes out without a drag

Add your comment to this topic!