Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I change spark plugs?

1534dover
03-18-2005, 03:24 PM
I have three 3800 engines: one in an 88 Type T Electra, another in an 89 Riviera and the third in my 92 park avenue. I the past I have had the shop change the plugs for me. But all want at least $100 for that, some want more. I am retired now, and would just as soon save the money. The back three plugs on all three engines are in some kind of metal sleeves. What are they and what is the best way to get the plugs out without breaking something off somewhere? And what is the best plug to use on this engine? Thanks.

volkerc
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I have three 3800 engines: one in an 88 Type T Electra, another in an 89 Riviera and the third in my 92 park avenue. I the past I have had the shop change the plugs for me. But all want at least $100 for that, some want more. I am retired now, and would just as soon save the money. The back three plugs on all three engines are in some kind of metal sleeves. What are they and what is the best way to get the plugs out without breaking something off somewhere? And what is the best plug to use on this engine? Thanks.

$100 eh, geez.
Those metal shields, if they are are right on the plug are special connectors so they won't interfere with your radio.in case they are just surrounding the plugs then they would be heat shields, I assume though that they sit right on the plug, therefore special connectors. sut pull those off the plugs and change the plugs, make sure not to pull on the wires themselves or you are going to rip them out of the connector.change the plugs on a cold engine. do one plug at a time, just to make sure you don't mess up the order of the wires, as they have to go back on to the same spot where you took them off.as far as what the best plug is, everybody has their own opinion on this, i'd stick with what the factory recommends, therefore ac delco's probably platinum tip, but check with your parts department, make sure not to drop a plug as the ceramic can get damaged even if you don't see it right away it might have an effect on performance. make sure not to overtighten them you could again damage the plug or screw them in so tight that you might have problems getting them out next time around.also get a special socket for your plugs, if you don't have one already, use one that has a rubber insert which will hold the plug in the socket, so you won't drop them,have fun...

auto trainy
03-18-2005, 06:42 PM
GM engines run best with AC Delco plugs and wires,a known fact they cost a little more but perform the best.good luck

1534dover
03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
$100 eh, geez.
Those metal shields, if they are are right on the plug are special connectors so they won't interfere with your radio.in case they are just surrounding the plugs then they would be heat shields, I assume though that they sit right on the plug, therefore special connectors. sut pull those off the plugs and change the plugs, make sure not to pull on the wires themselves or you are going to rip them out of the connector.change the plugs on a cold engine. do one plug at a time, just to make sure you don't mess up the order of the wires, as they have to go back on to the same spot where you took them off.as far as what the best plug is, everybody has their own opinion on this, i'd stick with what the factory recommends, therefore ac delco's probably platinum tip, but check with your parts department, make sure not to drop a plug as the ceramic can get damaged even if you don't see it right away it might have an effect on performance. make sure not to overtighten them you could again damage the plug or screw them in so tight that you might have problems getting them out next time around.also get a special socket for your plugs, if you don't have one already, use one that has a rubber insert which will hold the plug in the socket, so you won't drop them,have fun...
Well, the plug sets inside the shield. I tried one and it won't slide over the ridges of the spark plug connector. I suppose when I take the connector off it will come right off. But there isn't much room to work with on this side of the engine and there isn't much of the connector to get a hold of, so I am wondering if anyone knows an easier way to do it.

volkerc
03-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Well, the plug sets inside the shield. I tried one and it won't slide over the ridges of the spark plug connector. I suppose when I take the connector off it will come right off. But there isn't much room to work with on this side of the engine and there isn't much of the connector to get a hold of, so I am wondering if anyone knows an easier way to do it.

I got a 91 Park, and there is only one way to do it, yourself, granted the easier way and expensive way to do it is have somebody else do it, I don't recall any major problems to take them out, sure you have to dig in there, but there is enough room for the tools to get them out, unlike the newer birds and camaros...

1534dover
03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I got a 91 Park, and there is only one way to do it, yourself, granted the easier way and expensive way to do it is have somebody else do it, I don't recall any major problems to take them out, sure you have to dig in there, but there is enough room for the tools to get them out, unlike the newer birds and camaros...

I did the job today on the 92 Park in about two hours. Not hard at all. Thanks for advice.

DioGreer
03-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Changing out the plugs in a 3800 is 10 times easier than doing it on a V8 FWD. I've done it on both. After doing the V8, you'll think the 3800 is a walk in the park.

the_doctor
06-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi. I'm posting here because the Lesabre dudes haven't responded to my post. I've decided to switch to ACDelco plugs on my '89 Lesabre and bought a set. I bought the standard ACDelco plugs (R45LTS6). The problem is the gap differs on each plug and range from 0.065 to 0.069 inches. Is this normal?? The car requires 0.060. I thought the plugs would come set to that or at least close. It looks like I'm going to have to decrease the gap on every plug. Is there something wrong with these plugs? . . .Or should I go ahead and change the gap on all of them and install them?

Thanks!

auto trainy
06-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi. I'm posting here because the Lesabre dudes haven't responded to my post. I've decided to switch to ACDelco plugs on my '89 Lesabre and bought a set. I bought the standard ACDelco plugs (R45LTS6). The problem is the gap differs on each plug and range from 0.065 to 0.069 inches. Is this normal?? The car requires 0.060. I thought the plugs would come set to that or at least close. It looks like I'm going to have to decrease the gap on every plug. Is there something wrong with these plugs? . . .Or should I go ahead and change the gap on all of them and install them?

Thanks!
Gap all the plugs to the specs of the engine and make sure there not immitation Delcos (they are out there)

Add your comment to this topic!