Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

So has anyone tried the Tornado thing?

Harryc8786
03-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey guys, I read a few old posts, nobody specifically said if they used ones of those Tornados in the air intake. Well its been a while and im seening if theres any good results from using one? I was lookin thorugh ebay and read a guys comments. I saw 2 feedback comments from people saying they noticed more HP and a little better fuel economy. So anyone who uses this item hows it goin? I hear they are a waste of time. Thanks guys....

johnschmitt
03-18-2005, 12:49 PM
I haven't tried it, but this person has.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/productreviews/fr/aafpr052002.htm

...and my opinion based on the "theory" behind it...

I'm not convinced this device would create a swirling stream of air to begin with. If it did, what happens when the air goes past the throttle plate? Even if all this swirling air made it all the way through the intake manifold, I doubt it would help gas mileage. The tps (among other things) tells the car how much fuel to spray from each injector. If you better atomize the fuel from the injector there's still the same amount of fuel coming out of there. I could go on and on. It just sounds like a good way for someone to take 65 bucks from you.

JoseRZ
03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Here is another review of the tornado. I belive it is the same product.
http://www.wcpo.com/external/dwym/9c0616.html
Also do not put to much faith in the ebay feedback. The seller may have just bought the products under a a diffrent acccount. An put good feedback to lure others in to buy the product.

Also if you are looking to improve your fuel economy The goverment has a web site with some tips. Also a place to track and calculate your milage.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

03ls
03-18-2005, 07:50 PM
I heard that there just a huge waste of time. They are a big gimmick, and do not work. I know that somebody i know has tried it, and has no such improvements. I would not buy it. I know i wouldn't want it. :grinno:

sabat
03-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Now I can't say for sure about how it would or would not work in a malibu. But, in my Chevy Silverado <454> carb engine was getting about 6.5-7.5 mpg. When I bought a tornado I got about 11mpg. so while I can't say anything about power or anything like that, I can DEFINATELY SAY THEY WORK, for carb engines at least, dunno about injected...

lostmypicks
03-20-2005, 10:20 PM
I heard that there just a huge waste of time. They are a big gimmick, and do not work. I know that somebody i know has tried it, and has no such improvements. I would not buy it. I know i wouldn't want it. :grinno:

ya my friend tryed one and no differace at alll

bcleeper
03-24-2005, 09:51 AM
My dad has been designing engines for 30 years and I spoke to him about the Tornado and other intake mods and he didn't think they would help much. His opionion on the Tornado was that it would'nt work on a fuel injected vehicle although it may work some on a carborated one.

My personal experience for hp boost (or at least feel) was to do 3 things.

1. Put in a high flow air filter (I used a K&N factory replacement model, although my dad commented that K&N filters would let more dirt in by their more open design.)
2. Replace the Fuel Filter. This device should be replace every 2 years or so for the first 4 years. After that every year. I saw a noticable difference when I had mine done.
3. Use synthetic oil. You will probably want to buy the oil and take it with you to the change place (unless you do your own) because they charge a fortune for synthetic at the places I checked. Walmart sells a 5Quart bottle for $20. The Chevy dealer wanted a $40 premium for a synthetic change over their normal charge, but only charges $10 if you bring your own oil.

For fuel economy try the following:
1. Check tire pressure. The Malibu is rated at like 29psi front 27 back (check the door panel to be sure). I found this led to a lot of tire squeal so I set mine a little higher.
2. Drive more highway :-) miles. I am currently averaging 27mpg in my mostly highway daily commute. I got 17mpg earlier this year when my commute was through a town.
3. Don't go too fast and use the cruise control whenever possible.

There are many other sensible options.

Add your comment to this topic!