Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wal-Mart tires...

69BajaBug
03-17-2005, 09:56 PM
OK, I don't have a problem that can be resolved... Just something that really erks me. I bought a set of 265/75/16 Liberators from wal-mart about 2 1/2 years ago for my 99 silv ext 4x4. To be honest, I can't complain about the tires at all. They're rated for 40,000mi and they're going on 60,000mi, and only one of them is getting to the point where it needs replacing soon. I didn't rotate them like I should've (3 times total in 2 1/2 yrs -60k). I didn't check the air pressure in them very often. One of them even has 2 plugs in it. So I've decided that Liberators are gonna be the next set I buy... And the price, you ask??? They're $200 cheaper than ANYTHING else I could find. I think it set me back about $366 total for the set. Here's my gripe... I went to Wal-Mart today to get my new set of tires. This time I wanted the 285/75/16's. I'm doing the whole ford (ewww, cold chills) torsion keys and add a leaf thing and I want to go up a size. I know, I know... That's not good for it, right? Well I cranked up the torsion bars 2 1/2 yrs ago w/ no alignment whatsoever and have had NO problems as of yet. Anyways, they told me that they COULDN'T put the 285's on my truck. I argued that they would fit just fine. Their reason was because "their book" said that the truck didn't come with anything bigger than a 265 as an option. Who gives a flying f*ck what the book says??? I'm the one with the cash, and I want the 285's! So yeah, I left there, head down, on my old tires. I killed the rest of the afternoon going from tire shop to tire shop looking for a deal. Just like last time, everything I found was at least $200 more. Most of them closer to $3- 350. I think my only option is to buy the Liberators and have them mounted somewhere else. They said they would allow me to do that. So am I crazy, or is this just stupid?

korndogg
03-17-2005, 10:25 PM
well what we do is as long as you sign something saying you want them and we told you theyre not the right size then its your fault..which works. so i dont know what there problem is.

'97ventureowner
03-17-2005, 11:14 PM
It probably has to do with the fear of a lawsuit. Too many people nowadays sue over the litttleist things. If you get a good lawyer( believe me there are plenty of them around just waiting for the chance to represent someone,)you can just about win anything.They are probably only doing it to protect themselves,so I would just get the tires and have them mounted and balanced somewheres else. Of course, if you do that you probably won't get any kind of road hazard warranty.But you have to weigh your options. Saving $200, or a road hazard warranty.

69BajaBug
03-17-2005, 11:43 PM
How often does anyone actually use the road hazard warranty anyway? I never have. For $200, I can buy 2 more Liberators... LOL

korndogg
03-17-2005, 11:47 PM
i bought the road hazard when i bought my tires because i have people comming in every day bitching at me cause we wont cover their tire under warranty that they bought a week ago and got a slash in there tire that we cant fix....then they have to buy another tire. but for $6.99 a tire they would have gotten a brand new tire. i see way to much shit in tires that i had to buy it.

99redsilverado
03-18-2005, 01:29 AM
you know you dont have to modify the suspension at all to fit 285s and the whole ford torsion key is a hunk of bull shit
you can do the exact same thing with factory keys

69BajaBug
03-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I know you can get a little height out of the factory keys. I've already gotten about 1 1/2 inches out of it. If you lay the ford and chevy keys on top of each other, you can definately see the difference in angle. You should be able to get 2 1/2 to 3 inches out of them. I'm going by the ford dealership this morning to see if they carry that part#. In case anyone is wondering... It's ford part #XL3Z5B328CA.

gremlin96
03-18-2005, 08:29 AM
jack up the truck take all the tiers off goto wall-mart tell them to put what size you want on the rims. when thay ask what its for tell them its a home made dune buggy. the buggy will not be in there books. if thay bitch about it tell them to wright it in since thay are talking to the manufactor.

jeverett
03-18-2005, 08:37 AM
I concur with everyone... Wal mart is just covering their tracks.

69BajaBug
03-18-2005, 12:44 PM
jack up the truck take all the tiers off goto wall-mart tell them to put what size you want on the rims. when thay ask what its for tell them its a home made dune buggy. the buggy will not be in there books. if thay bitch about it tell them to wright it in since thay are talking to the manufactor.

LOL... That's a good idea. I wish I had read this about 3 hrs ago. I went to WM and bought the tires, went to Big O and had them mounted. They look good and ride good too! I kinda wondered if I would notice a difference in power since I've got the 4.8... If there's any difference at all, it's very small. I have done a few simple mods though. K&N filter, de-screened MAF, big trans cooler, etc... My ford keys will be here at 09:00 tomorrow. Just enough time for me to get everything together in time to watch UK play Cincy tomorrow night! LOL

Oh yeah, I guess I won't ever try to get Walmart to put tires on the back of my Bug... I don't think they came from the factory with 31/10.50/15's...

gremlin96
03-18-2005, 06:46 PM
i buy all my tires at farm stores. if you watch the sales ads you can get some good cheep tires. onec you get on there good side "my last farm store closed" you can get them to mount just about any thing. I like them cheep no name brands. aound here there are a lot of nails and junk on the roads.

oil changes, belts, batterys, installed are good at wal-mart not much else.

norwood
03-18-2005, 09:00 PM
A funny thing about Walmart and their attitude (and there's other tire dealers like this too) is what the hell is a 285/75/16 tire available for anyway? I can't think of one truck right now that comes with that size as standard equipment. There may be some but I don't know what it would be. If Walmart or anyone else has any tires other than what they judge to be "standard size" ask them why. Ask them to tell you what a 285/75/16 came standard on then. I could understand them wanting something in writing that they're not liable, but they should still mount the tires for you.

gmcretz
03-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I have used Pep Boys tires for years, the Adventurer LT tires are made by Cooper tire and carry a 40,000 mile warranty. Each set, I bought 2 after the initial Goodyear Wranglers came off of it at about 73,000 miles, lasted well with minimal rotation and tire pressure maintenance. Sold the truck at 160,000 miles to a kid from the next town with those same Adventurers on it.

If they have the size I am looking for when I lift my 04 Crewcab LT, they will probably go on the truck.

gtlegacy
03-18-2005, 11:21 PM
i went to buy tires for my baja bug, and i wanted different size tires in the back than in the front. they said they could only put the same size tires on...to make a long story short they put the tires on with no warranty after i told them the car was for off road use only(jokes on them because the car is for the street)

Add your comment to this topic!