Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electrical problems

mikeb55421
03-17-2005, 03:48 PM
if i use my turn signals there is a big drain in my cars power, and i mean . my speedo jumps up about 10 mph whenever the light comes on, then jumps back down when the light goes off, also if i have my radio and headlights on it drains really bad too. also the same problem happens when i have my wippers on. i have changed my Alternator about 3 months ago and the problem went away and my battery is 6 months old. anybody got any ideas???

jeffcoslacker
03-18-2005, 05:59 AM
You need to check for pinched or chafed wiring in the dash and steering column, and make sure that all your dashboard and chassis grounds are intact.

jeffcoslacker
03-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Actually, since you said the wipers do it too, I suspect there is a short in the turnsignal/wiper control switch, since they are on the same stalk, right?

You will have to pull the streering wheel and have a look down in the column if the wiring coming out the bottom of the column is not botched up. If the wiring is all OK, then a new multi-switch should fix it.

richtazz
03-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Jeff is correct on the multifunction switch being your problem. IT's a common issue, especially if you have a newer Lumina with the combination switch.

Add your comment to this topic!