Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radio Replacement

Sethkj
03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey guys - I have a '99 Malibu LS. The Delco radio has a tape player. I want to get an aftermarket radio that will play my CDs. I have read on the forums that I need a 'black box' to keep the chimes and warning bells? Is this true? I plan to have either Best Buy or Circuit City to install the radio. What all do I need to tell them or do they have everything at their stores? Please let me know - thanks!

theothermac
03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey guys - I have a '99 Malibu LS. The Delco radio has a tape player. I want to get an aftermarket radio that will play my CDs. I have read on the forums that I need a 'black box' to keep the chimes and warning bells? Is this true? I plan to have either Best Buy or Circuit City to install the radio. What all do I need to tell them or do they have everything at their stores? Please let me know - thanks!

Not sure if your year needs it, but they can tell you (or someone else on here with a '99!)

Mine ('03) needed it and it was $60 at Circuit City. Then $20 for the dash kit and then $$? for the wire harness (I already had that) and then they wanted another $50 to install !!!! I'm doing it myself, at least save the $50. So, it's costing me $80 for ME to put MY OWN stereo in MY OWN car!!!!!!!!!!!!! Geez.......

:banghead:

theothermac
03-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Ok...got mine all wired up (not a big deal, right?) put it in...hear 3 or 4 chimes and then NOTHING. No chimes, no radio, no nothing! Called Metra and the guy said there are different versions ofthe software that work with diff vehicles?? Would have been nice to have known this up front!! Just thought I'd pass the experience along....will let you all know what happens....

03ls
03-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Check your owners manual and look under the head unit section, or insturment cluster/dashboard section. I have an 03 and you can adjust the chime from normal to loud by turning the power off and holding down preset number 6. So apparently there is something inside the stereo head unit that has something to do with the chimes and warning bells. I am not sure about the configuration of your car since it is a different year. So I'd look at the owners manual to be sure.

lostmypicks
03-19-2005, 08:06 PM
my family owns a 99 and it dose not really matter what kind you get we got a deck insalled at best buy it worked out realy well, I dont know if your cars radio comes in good but that whole year had wrong wireing to the antana. I got a whloe lot better sound out of it.
as for a "black box" i dont think that you need it. I could be wrong so just go and ask the helpful people at best buy and they will set you up nice
CHEVY MALIBU ALL THE WAY

Sethkj
03-21-2005, 06:59 AM
my family owns a 99 and it dose not really matter what kind you get we got a deck insalled at best buy it worked out realy well, I dont know if your cars radio comes in good but that whole year had wrong wireing to the antana. I got a whloe lot better sound out of it.
as for a "black box" i dont think that you need it. I could be wrong so just go and ask the helpful people at best buy and they will set you up nice
CHEVY MALIBU ALL THE WAY

Hey all,

I went to Best Buy and bought a deck. The guy who installed it told me that I didn't need a box - but I did need a new wiring harness, kit, and so on. It's expensive, but well worth it. My next investment will be the speakers. I have the stock speakers in it now -- I'm trying not to blow those.. :) I may go back and get an exchange - I wanted a black radio, not silver. I didn't wnat intruders to see a shiny radio and steal it. :/ But that's just me being picky. ;)

theothermac
03-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey all,

I went to Best Buy and bought a deck. The guy who installed it told me that I didn't need a box - but I did need a new wiring harness, kit, and so on. It's expensive, but well worth it. My next investment will be the speakers. I have the stock speakers in it now -- I'm trying not to blow those.. :) I may go back and get an exchange - I wanted a black radio, not silver. I didn't wnat intruders to see a shiny radio and steal it. :/ But that's just me being picky. ;)

I went back by Circuit City, where I had orginally bought the stereo last year and all the new parts for my new car...the guy was extrememly nice, checked over everything,couldn't find anything wrong, even tried a new 'black box' (Metra GMRC-01, if anyone's keeping track!) Still no power to the deck...so we looked at the harness and found that Metra had screwed this one up, the power wire wasnt in the correct hole so it wasn't hitting the power from the factory harness...easy fix and now it sounds ALOT better in the car! So, kudos to the circuit city guy, shame on Metra's quality! (It even had 2 Left Front + wires, no -!)

lostmypicks
03-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Hey all,

I did not think that we got a box
hey glad to be of help. I wont to put some subs in ours :iceslolan
and the sound/reseption should be a heck lot better

latter

Add your comment to this topic!