Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shifting problem

samtheman77
03-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I have an 88 accord 2.0L with 200,000 kilometers, the car will not shift out of first gear until ive driven a few blocks and its warmed up then it will shift normally, ive changed the fluid to honda fluid and i know its not a fluid problem its done this for a while any ideas, is there a solenoid in the tranny? or does the tranny need replacement?
Your help is appreciated.

jeffcoslacker
03-18-2005, 06:14 AM
I don't know much about Honda autos, but if it is not solenoid controlled, then it is an issue where a hardened seal is allowing fluid pressure to bypass it until the seal warms up enough to conform to it's sealing surface, then normal operation is restored. Used to see that on older Fords fairly often.

But I think I'd also find out is that tranny has a vacuum modulator, and if so check the hose going to it for defects, and make sure the diaphram isn't leaking, both of these problems could prevent upshift when cold as well.

Modulators are a small, external round metal can with a vacuum hose connected to them, usually just up from the trans pan's top lip. If the vacuum line down there and at the intake manifold source end are good, remove the line from the modulator and check for any fluid inside the line. If any, the modulator is bad.

Add your comment to this topic!