Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

More Horsepower, please......

texjer
03-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Hello All,
First off, I'm a newbie to this board, but have driven Toyota trucks for the past 5 yrs.

Presently I've got a 2001 Tundra TRD (2wd) rated at 245 h.p. I keep seeing ads for the '05s and they're rated at 285(best I recall). Other than trading for a new truck, what can I do to up my h.p. a bit, and not break the bank too!

I've started pulling a horse trailer some on w'ends and this summer am planning on pulling to Colorado for some trail riding. The 245 is "OK", but you know how it goes........you always would like to have a little more.

I've seen some chips on eBay, but I'm leery of those. I've got a cat-back Flowmaster/duals on it and a K&N air filter. That's the only things I've changed on it since it was new. Presently she's got a little over 63,000 miles.

I guess what I'm really wondering is what Toyota did to up the H.P. on the newer trucks. Heck, the new 4.0 V-6 in the Tacoma is rated at 245!

Thanks for any ideas y'all might have.........

Jer

watti27
03-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Hello All,
First off, I'm a newbie to this board, but have driven Toyota trucks for the past 5 yrs.

Presently I've got a 2001 Tundra TRD (2wd) rated at 245 h.p. I keep seeing ads for the '05s and they're rated at 285(best I recall). Other than trading for a new truck, what can I do to up my h.p. a bit, and not break the bank too!

I've started pulling a horse trailer some on w'ends and this summer am planning on pulling to Colorado for some trail riding. The 245 is "OK", but you know how it goes........you always would like to have a little more.

I've seen some chips on eBay, but I'm leery of those. I've got a cat-back Flowmaster/duals on it and a K&N air filter. That's the only things I've changed on it since it was new. Presently she's got a little over 63,000 miles.

I guess what I'm really wondering is what Toyota did to up the H.P. on the newer trucks. Heck, the new 4.0 V-6 in the Tacoma is rated at 245!

Thanks for any ideas y'all might have.........

Jer

The K & N Air filter is good but the FIPK intake that K7 N makes is where you will produce some more power and it allows the engine to breath a lot more also. Other than that go to www.performanceproducts.com for soe omre help.

mwebber78
03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Yea as a 05' owner I can atest to the hosepower rating for the 05's (along with the new 5-spd automatic) making a BIG difference in the trrucks capabilities and drivability. I drove a left-over 04' dblcab and then the 05' that I purchased. I think the combo of more horsepower and torque (which is the important part for pulling) and tranny make a great truck. It even gets better gas mileage, which is cool. Toyota added their patented vvti technology to the engine, reprogrammed intake, timing and mixture which all together improved performance. vvti itself is a wonderful addition. it allows variable timing depending on load. Anyways, I agree that you are limited to few choices other than free flowing exhausts, better intake boxes and filter media and if you want a chip. Have fun!!!

aigpd
03-20-2005, 07:49 PM
TRD supercharger is the answer. Added one to my 2000. Bewst mod I've done for power.

texjer
03-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I keep hearing about the new transmissions being a lot better, for towing AND gas mileage.

Supercharger is out of the question........but sure would be nice. The cost of the unit AND having to use premium fuel kills that......but sure would be nice!!

OK, I'll check into getting a FPIK(?) K&N unit for her. Maybe that'll help. I keep seeing these cheapo chips on eBay and something tells me they're just not what I'm looking for........like a waste of money perhaps?

Thanks again all........63,000 miles on it, so I'll be driving it for a good while longer.......especially after reading about the new line of Toyotas not coming out until the '07 year model!! ARG!!

Jer

travis712
04-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Did you check reliable websites for chips? They can get you( in most cases) a lot of torque that is already in your engine, just not making it to the wheels.
http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Unichip+Power+Modules&productid=110413&producttype=30#product

For the 2001 toyota tundra.

http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?ProductName=POWERAID+Throttle+Bod y+Spacer&productid=109060&producttype=20

Don't know how benificial it would be, but its worth a try.

corbinwaterski
04-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Don't waste your money on K & N - it is garbage. If you want to open up your intake do the deckplate modification-
http://www.wattora.com/mods/deckplate/
and put in a quality filter, i.e. AFE(TRD) or Amsoil. Chips can work, but do your research before you buy. You get what you pay for. Another good website for good solid info is: http://www.gadgetonline.com/
it has a section on chips- even though it is a 4-Runner alot of it applies to the Tundra as well. Good luck, I hope this helps a little bit.

Add your comment to this topic!