Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A good deal?

Taurus 1995
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Hi, I am 16 and about to buy my first car. I went to a used car place and spotted a beautiful 1995 Ford Taurus GL Sedan 4 door V6.. it is in great condition. It has 103k miles on it and they're asking $2,195 for it. I'm going to check it again but this time my uncle is checking the engine, trans ..ect..
so my question is do you guys think this is a good deal ??
Oh yeah , it also comes with a 3 month warranty and if i want, i can purchase 6 more months..

95cord
03-17-2005, 11:39 AM
i wouldn't buy it. i have heard of alot of bad things about them from lots of people that have owned them

Taurus 1995
03-17-2005, 04:21 PM
What kind of bad things?

JLU
03-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Go to your local ford dealer with the (vin number) and ask the service department to pull up an (oasis) this is a history of that car it will tell you every thing you need to know about the vehicle, it will also tell you you of any and all recalls that ford put out for the Taurus but you might find a better deal with less miles from a private owner. good luck

drdisque
03-19-2005, 11:53 PM
i wouldn't buy a taurus with that many miles unless it has a documented brand new transmission. All tauri from that year had serious transmission issues once they got over 60k miles.

MagicRat
03-20-2005, 07:13 AM
IMHO its a reasonable deal, if the condition is good.

At your age your insurance costs are going to be more than the car anyways. A run-of-the-mill sedan is cheaper than a sportier car, for insurance.

But haggle over the price a bit and get the extended warranty.

Also go to www.carsurvey.org and look up owner reiviews on the Taurus. I just did and their reviews for this car are somewhat better than the average used car, but not perfect.

That being said, when I started driving I used much older cars I could learn to fix myself.

gtrgib
04-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Get a Honda Civic, most reliable new or used, and dirt cheap to maintain.

shawnwilliams
04-07-2005, 01:03 PM
WHY are you buying a grandma's car. There big and auto for a reason. Get a sporty car, with 2 doors and a 5speed, you like it more than a big taurus with a 3.8 that only has 140hp, that cant be upgraded. Best bet is get a civic, probe, altima, or a teg. All very good cars and you'll like them alot more than a taurus, believe me my mom has one. And for problems, my moms car seriously goes into the shop every 2 weeks for something, and b/c the enignes so big the it harder to work in so they charge you more b/c it takes them longer. The only good thing about the taurus you can comfortably fit 5 adults in it.

Add your comment to this topic!