1999 Suburban Gas gauge flutters

OZBIRN454
03-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi all my my gas gauge in the burban started fluttering or vibrating very fast. It still reads correct just looks blurry to look at. Has any one had this problem before and if so what did you find? I have not had time toeven look at it yet. Oz

mrstein69
04-15-2005, 12:25 PM
I have the same problem !!!

My gauge went totally dead, then the fuel pump went out about 4 months later. I installed a NAPA fuel pump. All worked great for about 3 weeks then the fuel gauge started to "flutter". Looks very fuzzy, almost gives ya a headache if you watch it for a while.

I have no idea what the problem is.

Anyone else?

pbond13
05-31-2005, 07:37 PM
I have the same problem in my 99 Suburban. Could it be the sending unit?

bendam1
06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
You would need to drop the tank for this but you would need to take the pump out and with an ohm meter apply it to the wire supply on the level indicator. Note what the ohms are @ the bottom or empty level then move the float arm to the top if it is erratic then it is bad and needs to be replaced. If it doesn't move erratic but slowly or smoothly then it is good and you might have a short somewhere. I had this happen on my Astro and that's what the problem was. Hope it helps.

Kulluan77
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Same problem here. Flutters all the time, jumps arround occasionally. I disconnected the fuel harness up front and the gauge jumped to full but still fluttered. Changed the complete fuel pump assembly which seems to have stopped the gauge from jumping, but the gauge still flutters. Wires seem to check ok, wonder if it's the computer?

GunnerSmith
05-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I have the same problem with my '99 Suburban. My filled it up one day and the guage went down to empty and up to full in one motion and then started to "flutter" as the others describe. The gauge reads accurately with the exception of the "flutter". Not long after this, my fuel pump went dead. I had the dealer replace the whole assembly, but the flutter remains. I imagine that there is an electrical connection that is getting a bad ground or something.

Martinez_Mitch
05-30-2006, 07:59 AM
I have heard that Techron, a Chevron gas additive can remove sulfur from the fuel level card - often correcting this problem in one tank full.

Has anyone ever heard this? Those that have the problem - do you use a name brand gas?

Mitch

Add your comment to this topic!