Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Sonoma Wiper Problem

vweaber
03-16-2005, 05:17 PM
I have a 99 Sonoma and the wipers only work on high speed. When turned to intermittent or slow(no work at all). Is there a pulse module for the wiper motor, and if so, Where is it located?

SpitAndDirt
03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
If it's anything like the full size pickups, the pulse module is located in the wiper motor assembly. You can access it by removing three torx head screws(T15 or T20) and wiggling the board out. Oreillys now sells the pulse board in their Help/Motormite section for about $30.

vweaber
03-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks much SpitandDirt. Pulled the module and found a broken ground connection that was easily soldered. Thanks again for the info.

jack720
09-27-2005, 02:41 PM
97 Sonoma, 4.3L -- I had an intermittent wiper problem for a long time -- it seemed like every time I needed my wipers, ie. it's raining, they'd quit on me :banghead: -- a few weeks ago I removed 3 torx screws from the wiper motor housing exposing the back of the circuit board -- then I wrestled the board out of the motor housing and removed the wiring harness -- then I resoldered the harness pins to the connections on the board with some more solder and a solder pistol -- reconnected the harness to the board, inserted it back into the housing, and replaced the cover. So far, no failures when I need the wipers :smokin: -- I hope this helps - jack

Mad Jack Cash
05-05-2007, 02:15 PM
97 Sonoma, 4.3L -- I had an intermittent wiper problem for a long time -- it seemed like every time I needed my wipers, ie. it's raining, they'd quit on me :banghead: -- a few weeks ago I removed 3 torx screws from the wiper motor housing exposing the back of the circuit board -- then I wrestled the board out of the motor housing and removed the wiring harness -- then I resoldered the harness pins to the connections on the board with some more solder and a solder pistol -- reconnected the harness to the board, inserted it back into the housing, and replaced the cover. So far, no failures when I need the wipers :smokin: -- I hope this helps - jack

97 Sonoma 4.3L 4X4

Nothing is scarier (or deadlier)on the freeway than having a sudden downpour and switching from intermediate to constast wipers they stop working! Mine did it and I've read more than a handful of similar posts on other sites that suggested a grounding problem in the motor.

Try this fix first!:naughty:

Simply make up a jumper wire with (strong) alligator clips and connect one end of it to the wiper motor housing and the other to a good ground point on the body/frame.

I'm no master mechanic but I Am an electronics tech and I read about the symptom enough that it showed me to be a floating ground between the circuit board and ground. I did this 4 months ago and it solved the problam instantly.

And belive me, living in Oregon it's had pleeeeenty of testing in the last few months!!! :smokin:

Total cost - Zero, zip, nada. I had the jumper my toolbag. :rofl:

Peace

ZL1power69
05-15-2007, 10:15 PM
welcome to af. this thread is now over 2 years old. please refrain from posting in old threads.

Add your comment to this topic!