Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stereo Removal...

theothermac
03-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Hey all...Are there any 'hidden' screws or anything holding the dash cover, over the stereo and a/c-heat controls? I need to get this p.o.s. stock cd player out and put my 'good' one in asap! Just dont want to break anything! (And yes...I've got the kit and the stupid/expensive little black box!)

Thanks!

Malibullsh*t
03-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I'n my 99 Malibu you just grab the plastic above the ashtray and give it a good yank and it comes right off, giving you access to the stereo mount

gapboi210
03-16-2005, 09:55 PM
You have to pull off the trim around the ignition switch that says off, acc, on etc. Don't yank, thats when you break shit.

Sethkj
03-17-2005, 11:22 AM
There's a black box? If I get another radio, do I have to have this special black box? What does it do?

theothermac
03-17-2005, 01:24 PM
There's a black box? If I get another radio, do I have to have this special black box? What does it do?

Don't know which years (mine is an '03)...the little black box keeps the factory chimes, warning bells, the delayed radio on after you turn the car off...and whatever else??? They are proud of them too! $$$

theothermac
03-17-2005, 01:25 PM
You have to pull off the trim around the ignition switch that says off, acc, on etc. Don't yank, thats when you break shit.

I was thinking that needed to come off...does it 'pop' off or what?

Thanks!

Sethkj
03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
My car is a '99 - if I got another radio, should I get the black box? If so, where do I get 'em?

gapboi210
03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
The trim around the ignition switch just pops off.

lostmypicks
03-26-2005, 12:20 AM
no dude you dont need the black box
dont go and get another one
mine still runs all of the normal nosies and crap
if you do not have it there is no differices

odiHnaD
04-11-2005, 04:57 PM
You will only need the "black box" if you have a 01 or newer malibu, what that black box is is a databus II interface emulator basically around 2000 GM decided to start using a data interface that would allow different parts of the car to communicate with each other, IE security system, PCM, XM, Onstar, etc. and in doing so they made the radio control chimes (low fuel, headlights on etc.) and in some cases custom seat adjustments and so forth, by using the black box it makes the car think the stock radio that it normally communicates with is still there, in a few newer model GMs if you don't use a black box it can trip a check engine light, so in short if you have a 2000 or older malibu, you don't need it.

malibugtp
05-04-2005, 05:12 PM
how do i reset the stereo loc code

monkey123
08-16-2005, 09:33 AM
How about this situation, then?

I have a 2002 malibu with the oem AM/FM CD player with RDS. I can get the upgrade OEM unit, which adds a CD player to the mix. Can I just yank the old one and puy this in it's place without screwing around with codes and the car computer? If not, is it doable DIY, or is a dealer needed???

Add your comment to this topic!