Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

codes, too fast

nancyc
03-16-2005, 01:23 PM
very easy to ck codes with paper clip, thanks mannyboy!! did just what u said and it blinked the 12 like u said. only trouble is , is that the blinking after went fast that i couldnt make out what it was. hahaha.

to read the codes is like the 12 , right? 1 blink means the 1 and then the 2 blinks means the 2 in the # 12 right? then it was blinking again but i couldnt keep track how many and then it blinked the 12 again. i turned off ignition and waited and then did it again, this time it just did the 12 and thats it. should i have done it again? i know that by doing that testing it also charges up the other relays and switches, right?

when can i try it again to see if i get the same results? what if i dont get any other blinking, would that mean that it shows nothing wrong? if so then i wonder whats up with my engine........

thats why its better i guess to get a hand held gadget that has words to read whats wrong and tells u, instead of figuring out blinking lites.

do u think autozone would ck the codes for me? would they charge me, like a mechanic would? i wonder if they would know the blinking and what it means if i showed them my car

i got the list of code #s and what they mean, but again, when the lite flashes will it flash one of those numbers like it does the 12?

say it shows code # 45, will it blink 4x for the #4 then pause then 5x for the #5 and then 12 again or no?

dont mean to be a pain but i try to be thorough and like details.

Manny_boy
03-16-2005, 03:43 PM
autozone will pull the codes for you for free - if they try and charge you, find a different autozone.

You are exactly correct, code 45 would be just that- four flashes, a short pause, then 5 flashes.

you can check your codes as often and as soon as you need to, they are stored in your ECM for 50 cycles (starting your car) and that's 50 cycles assuming the code doesn't set again. After your ECM displays all the codes, it will be a long pause then it will start over with 12.

Oh, and yes, diagnostic mode will energize your relays, your fans should run during diagnostic mode.

and you're not a pain... My motto is everyone needs help now and again, I know I've been helped many a day, who am I to say no to someone with a ?...

cnilkyrclit
03-20-2005, 11:41 PM
i have 93 lumina euro, and ive been having some issues with it. my question is how do you do the paperclip diag. thnx

nancyc
03-21-2005, 09:57 AM
pull the paperclip apart and u have 2 ends. take the diagnostic cover off , mine is down next to my ashtray below steering column and over to the right. after u take off the cover stick the ends of clip into the top right 2 holes, A,B. hold them in there then turn key but dont start it and the lite will start the flashes.

Add your comment to this topic!