Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Toyota 1989 4x4 / new to forum

ekspc
03-16-2005, 10:24 AM
hi all i just bought a 1989 Toyota 4x4 w/ 119k. a little ding on the passanger side, some oil leak ( not to bad ), ext cab, clean int. i had the 2 belts replaced and the valve seal replaced. i need to replace the 2 U joint off the rear diff. it makes a squeak in first gear. it has the 30.5 tires on it, i would like a smoother ride since i run up and down the highway. any suggestions!!! also i want to replace the shocks they look original, what size do i need? i got through my first tank and it came out to 18 mpgallon. i thought it would be better. any tips or helpful hints would be nice. i bought a Alpine stereo because the stock one sucks and put some 6x9's in the back. i need the driver side mirror, i checked the local junk yard, to my dismay and delight i found only 1 Toyota Truck. i have heard they will run for ever and plan to do that. oh by the way i paid $500 for the truck. you can also reach me at titus_kleppinger@hotmail.com

sassee
03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
I sure do miss mine since my daughter learned to drive a stick. Mine is 89 king-cab 4x4 also! It has 196,000 on it. If you're going to run the highway, I'd suggest no tire bigger than 235/75/15. My office is 45 miles from my house so I know your situation. I put Koumo (I think I spelled it wrong) Venture AT's on mine. A little bit noisier than previous, but good off-road traction for those "occasional" times. It is a good trade-off for me. Also, on the shock's, I know I'll probably catch some grief over this but if you're primarily on the highway, just go to Autozone and by some Monroe Gas-Matic plus shocks! (No I don't work for Autozone or Monroe) They are better than toyota original equipment and aren't but $19.95 each!!! I have them on mine. I DO HAVE high-end Rancho's on my jeep, but I abuse the crap out of it! You should get a little better mileage, my 22RE is getting 23-24 driving to work. Of course that's much better then my Suburban with a 7.4! (that's why I drive the toy) Might want to check plugs, distributor cap, wires, maybe even injector clean. Alpine good choice! Several companies (Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, etc) make quality speakers small enough to fit in the original spots in dash and it DOES make a ton of difference. And go ahead and splurge for XM, you won't regret it if your on the road.

ekspc
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
i had new plugs put in when i bought it and have been putting in some marvelous myst. oil hoping it will clean up the injectors and valves. i will put the shocks on this weekend. also i have been trying not to race it around so much and see if that improves the gas mileage / basically keep it between 2-3k on the RPM side. can i get a shorter shock to lower it a touch?

madbodger
03-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Shocks don't determine your vehicle height, sounds like you may a bit of a lift kit on it.

sassee
03-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah....ride height determined by springs or any added lift-kits. Check the mounts where body meets frame. You may have spacers there from previous lift kit.

ekspc
03-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I wasnt thinking of the height so much as the ride, unless they are related. also recommendations on a tire would be nice. i have read in other forums about the O2 sensor messing with the gas mileage. where is it located? should i look at replacing it? i appreciate all your replies and help. i am not afraid to tackle the shocks or the U joints so your help is not in vain. have a great weekend.

Stuck again
03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Your O2 sensor is in your exhaust manifold and can be checked if it's working ok at a garage.

sassee
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but unless the mechanic is a friend, it'll probably cost you the same as going to Autozone and buying an o2 sensor. New one $90. If you do replace, be sure to spray bolts and nuts well or they will strip or wring-off! Personally, I like PB Blaster. Stinks, but seems to work better than wd-40 or liquid wrench.

amceagle
03-24-2005, 08:36 AM
i just sold my '87 it was a x-cab 2wd. no mech. probs but it was grabber green and had a beefy 350 in it. police loved it they could pick me out of a line of traffic at highway speeds.it was one of the best vehicles i have ever had. that and with gas prices up here in new york($2.25 a gal.) i was only getting like 10-12 mpg. my favorite thing to do was take it to the track on race night with those civics and other imports. all they would see was my tail lights.

vdeloach
03-26-2005, 10:21 AM
that sounds so nice!! i just got a 3.0 but i give it hell
and its fun dusting a civic anythime

87_Yotaman
03-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I'm new to this form also. I have a 87 Toyota Pickup 4WD 22-R 5-speed with Flowmaster Duel Exhaust run out the back. And I know exactly how fun it is to smoke a civic. Let me tell you, one time i pulled up at a red light and this boy in a civic was revin' up his engine over and over. So I just gave mine one good rev and he shut up. When we came off the line I balled off my tires all through 1st and 2nd gear and just smoked him.

But anyway, I have a question. How do you fix the speedometer after putting bigger tires on it on this old a truck? Please reply.

Stuck again
03-27-2005, 08:31 AM
You can get an adapter from Downey http://www.downeyoff-road.com/ or North west offroad http://www.northwestoffroad.com/
but you have to call as I don't see them on there web sites. My 87 4wd 22re couldn't dust a table off the line! I put a Hedman header on on friday and it helped the top end a bit but that's all.

87_Yotaman
03-27-2005, 11:45 AM
My 87 4wd 22re couldn't dust a table off the line! I put a Hedman header on on friday and it helped the top end a bit but that's all.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Now about your truck, have you got duel exhaust on it? It makes a big difference in the power and sound of your truck. I would recommend flowmasters run out the back.

Does your's have a Cat Converter, they rob you of some power also.

Stuck again
04-01-2005, 10:15 PM
No I haven't finished the exhaust yet, I just tied into the 1 3/4" pipe and muffler for now $$. But, I threw in new plugs,air cleaner, pvc, injector cleaner and changed and my fluids( rearends, transfer etc.) and now it's a whole new truck. Picked up torque and Hp.

Kyle4130
04-05-2005, 11:34 AM
I wasnt thinking of the height so much as the ride, unless they are related. also recommendations on a tire would be nice. i have read in other forums about the O2 sensor messing with the gas mileage. where is it located? should i look at replacing it? i appreciate all your replies and help. i am not afraid to tackle the shocks or the U joints so your help is not in vain. have a great weekend.

id recomend the BFgoodrich all terrain. there perfect for street and a daily driver, but if you did ever want to take it off road they can hold there own on mud and stuff.

Add your comment to this topic!