Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Aftermarket Radio in '99 Malibu

Sethkj
03-16-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi guys,

I had just bought a '99 Malibu LS from a local dealership. So far, everything works. I am aware of the brakes and rotors and such. Can I put an aftermarket radio in the car? Would it mess up the chime or the Theftlock/Passlock? Please let me know if there are any precautions I should look for before having someone putting in an aftermarket radio. The regular radio has the original Delco Tape Player, but the lights on the buttons doesn't come on at night; plus I'm wanting to get a radio with a CD Player. Any comments or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Seth

PS - I may have Circuit City install the radio.. just FYI

bcopeland
03-16-2005, 08:14 AM
I am interested in the response as well as my radio does have a CD but the lights also do not light up.

dmx5068
05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
I had the same problem with the lights i just put a aftermarket radio in and i dont have any problems

electhrolite
05-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I have changed my radio many times, is not much of a problem. First of all make sure you havent activated the theft lock passcode, if so deactivate it. Now If the radio lights are not tutning on then you have to replace the instrumental lights fuse. There are like 2 or 3 fuses that apply to the radio. So get the instruction manual or the cover of the fuse holder in the right and left side of the dash between the door and dash Look for any blown fuse, if so replace it. Also check the fuse on the engine compartment I think there's another fuse in there. Now that you're ready to replae the radio, is very imporant to use only the wire that you need, 3 wires to power the unit, and 8 speaker wires. There are about 3 wies that aren't used , they are the dimmer wires, etc. Is very important that you do not mix up this wires because it will damage your dimmer, instrumental lights,and blown some fuses. Always disconnect the negative from the battery to avoid short circuits during the installation process. I dont have right now with me the wiring diagram but go to this site for that.
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf

If not then write me and I send you the wiring diagrams later.

chevysucksnow
02-28-2009, 05:19 AM
Buy a Nissan, its easier!

Hi guys,

I had just bought a '99 Malibu LS from a local dealership. So far, everything works. I am aware of the brakes and rotors and such. Can I put an aftermarket radio in the car? Would it mess up the chime or the Theftlock/Passlock? Please let me know if there are any precautions I should look for before having someone putting in an aftermarket radio. The regular radio has the original Delco Tape Player, but the lights on the buttons doesn't come on at night; plus I'm wanting to get a radio with a CD Player. Any comments or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks!

Seth

PS - I may have Circuit City install the radio.. just FYI

Add your comment to this topic!