Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Talon door ajar, dome light, etc.

Craigart14
03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Still trying to track down this problem. Dome light (when set to "Door"), foot lights, trunk light, ignition light, and door ajar warning lights stay on after doors are all closed and car is running. All these lights are on the same circuit; pulling one fuse kills them all. I disconnected the trunk light switch, so that light went out, but the others stayed on. I disconnected the dome light relay (hidden behind the trim panel to the rear of the driver's door post), and that shut off the dome light (in "Door" mode only), ignition ring light, and foot lights, but the door ajar warning light stayed on. My shop manual on CD (after much searching) shows a "door ajar warning circuit diode" mounted next to the dome light relay. I think it might be the problem; I pulled it off, and as far as I can tell, it didn't affect anything, and the door ajar light stayed on. Took it to a Mitsubishi dealer, and they didn't know what it was or what it did. It's a small, shiny cylinder with a single wire that plugs into the harness near the dome light relay.

Qs: Is it, in fact, a diode? Where might I find a replacement, since the Mitsubishi and Eagle parts and service guys don't know what it is?

Any help would be appreciated--and might allow me to put my back seat back in the car.

Craig

RSLaser
03-16-2005, 09:32 PM
It might be tooo simple, but did you check to make sure the wire that connects to the door switch is connected?

Craigart14
03-17-2005, 09:39 AM
It might be tooo simple, but did you check to make sure the wire that connects to the door switch is connected?

I have looked at the three door switches. The switches close and complete their circuits when a door is opened, so if one of them had a loose or broken wire, wouldn't that prevent the light from coming on? I can't get it to go off, even with all three switches disconnected.

I took off the "diode" yesterday and discovered that it's actually a capacitor--or so they tell me at Radio Shack. A Chrysler parts guy said it's a "noise suppression condenser" for the windshield wipers. Would a condenser be rated in micro-Farads?

I might just pull the wire for the door warning light, if I can figure out which one it is. Why does anyone need a light to tell them the door's open, anyway?

Craig

Add your comment to this topic!