Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine surging after I put gas in it, rusted fuel line going into filter - Input?

Malibullsh*t
03-15-2005, 04:43 PM
I have been having this problem now for a few months where my engine surges (RPM's go up and down by themselves) after putting gas in and sometimes while idling.. My engine has also been running very poorly and engine light was on.. I took it into the shop, they ended up replacing a solanoid fuel evaporator.. Drove it for a month it was still running bad, engine light came back on and problem came back as well.. Took it in today, the bastards charged me for diagnostics.. They reset the engine light and tried to say that I must have put gas in my car while it was on and running and that is why the light was on, which I have never done. But in the process of it all, the mechanic notices my fuel filter had never been changed during the whole life of the car. (70k miles, I bought it a year ago.) And he also noticed that the fuel line going into it was rusted very badly.. He basically refused to change it because he was afraid that he would break the fuel line going into it because of the rust. He told me to spray it with some penetrating oil a few times and then it may come off easily. Input would be greatly appreciated, if anyone thinks that the fuel filter is most likely causing my problems.. And is it really that hard to remove it from a rusted fuel line?

I could be driving a Lexus right now with all the money I have dumped into this peice of crap for repairs!

Add your comment to this topic!