Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 car stereo installation power antenna wire

simbarat
03-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Hi all,

I just installed a Pioneer CD/reciever. CDs sounds great, but I cant lock into any radio stations. I hooked up the antenna adapter wire that came with the kit (ordered from Crutchfield by the way). I also installed a Mantra GMRC-01 door chime wire harness adapter.

I think the problem is with the power antenna, I dont think its coming up and was wondering what wire hook up I'm missing out on. Coincidently, my turn signal flashers now no longer work, it is just a steady light that doesnt blink. I put the old factory radio in to troubleshoot and the turn signal light problem is still there, but was able to tune into radio stations. Any help is appreciated.

MoNsTeR`ImPaLa
03-15-2005, 12:04 PM
i didnt know the impala had a external antenna besides the one in the rear window?? turn signal problem might be a flasher maybe you pulled the wire out ??? explain more please

simbarat
03-16-2005, 11:22 AM
i didnt know the impala had a external antenna besides the one in the rear window?? turn signal problem might be a flasher maybe you pulled the wire out ??? explain more please

I double checked my wiring hookups and I'm convinced that I have everything where it should be. I forgot to mention that, I can lock on some strong FM stations and can hear a little background music/talk, but its faint and garbled with the hiss of poor reception. This would indicated that wiring wise things are correct and that its an antenna problem.

Really stupid, noob question here but an auto antenna would be the ones that retract and extend, correct? Reason I bring it up is, if its not coming up, then that would explain my poor reception. Blown fuse maybe?

The turn signal problem I think is something separate, that I hope my dealer can quickly diagnose. Maybe he just needs to reset something in the computer/system, due to me disconnecting the battery and tinkering with the wiring for the stereo?

dmorlow
03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I've learned my lesson in the past about messing with my radio. I just bought my car and I am not going to touch any of my electrical. I've done some damage to my previous cars and had wished I'd taken it to someone a little more knowledgeable after the fact. I'm having a remote starter put in mine in a few days and it is going to be professionally done. I'm not taking chances with mine. But why are you putting a power antenna in your car? I think the antenna is built into the back window. Power antennas are such a pain. They are constantly having problems. I am so glad this car doesn't have an external antenna that I have to mess around with anymore.

dmorlow
03-19-2005, 06:07 PM
And the other nice thing about taking it to someone else to do electrical work... Even if you know electronics inside and out, there's always a chance of making a mistake. If you make the mistake, you have to pay to fix it. If they make the mistake, they have to pay to fix it. Less headaches.

simbarat
03-21-2005, 03:01 PM
Heres an update. I’m way off base on the power antenna idea. Indeed, the antenna is in the window which is a completely new concept to me. I don’t plan on messing with that. The radio reception problem is fixed. Turns out the antenna plug was not inserted completely into the port of the head unit. Turn signal problem still there, but after some research (got love Google) I think the problem is with the hazard warning switch. I was pretty rough yanking the dash out and I think I might have cracked it or messed up the wiring of it. According to some leads on the internet, if that is whacked out, it will cause turn signals to not to blink. Time to call the dealer.

I’ve learned my lesson and agree dmarlow, my stereo installation days are over. It bugs me though, cause years back I did an install on a Honda CRX and a Dodge Dakota, both went smooth as silk.

Add your comment to this topic!