Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

computer chip upgrade

Tofuboy
03-26-2002, 07:38 PM
I just want to ask what chip out there is good and if there are any web sites I can see what fuction does the chip do and the difference from the stock chip.

I need to know the info in details not just general info such as it will give me whatever power gain and more fuel delivery.

I recall an article I read about the mugen chip is running open loop at all time (correct me if I am wrong) which what I don't want.

For those who had changed their chip please give me your feedbacks only if you know what you are talking about. Sorry, if I have offended anyone, but I am trying to get intelligent info, not another BS link.

Thanks in advance

kane2g
03-26-2002, 07:43 PM
from what i understand chip upgrades aren't that great, you can do the same thing w/ VAFC. Chips run in open loop mode at full throttle, so gains w/ chip wouldnt be huge and most of them would be when you're not WOT.

Tofuboy
03-26-2002, 08:09 PM
Yes, you are right about at WOT it runs in open loop which is an advantage for drag race. But I am into road race or autocross, so most of the time TPS will not be at max and a chip will be a pretty good thing for me.

I have thought about getting the V-AFC, but still wondering would that be competable with the ECM's advance spark timing.

kane2g
03-26-2002, 11:27 PM
I would go the VAFC route, because its more flexible. With ECU you're stuck with whatever they programed.
Most chips cost about 200+ and VAFC is 400 or so. I think the ability to change the curve and see the cool display is well worth the extra 200. Besides gains with either one wont be great, unless your motor is untuned or something.

Tofuboy
03-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Does anyone have links for good chips?

Any feebacks for any chip that is on the market?

Add your comment to this topic!