Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Excel poor gas mileage

ilanpro
03-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi, I just picked up an 89 excel, I am going to use it for work.

It seems that gas consumption on this car sucks, If I take a hard right the gas needle goes down if I take a hard Left goes up. but for real I had the Idea that it was leaking gas but I checked all the fuel lines and nothing, I am probably getting 16 miles per gallon :mad: The car does have an aftermarket Carb on it (weber), also it seems that when I park it gas dissapears, over night it looses about 1/4 tank, but yet no gas leaking anywere :sly: :sly: Please any help would rule, car does idle OK there is some rust in the tank so I have to clean the filter a lot.

Thanks

twospirits
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Hmm never hear that happen before on any vehicle. I looked around and nothing. I wonder if the service techs can come up with anything. Did you take it in to have it looked at?

ilanpro
03-18-2005, 12:54 AM
No I dont want to dish any $$ into it, I have a feeling is the Cat and the o2 sensor

DJDYNAMIKE
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
U Might Need To Look At Your Charcole Canister If It Goes Bad It Will Act Like A Wick N Let Gas Evaporate Realy Fast

philly7
12-01-2006, 12:04 PM
The float in the carb may be sticking, allowing fuel to keep flowing into the engine. Is the engine hard to start in the morning? pull the dipstick out of the engine and see if the oil smells like fuel. you will probly have to deal with the fuel guage problem, mine does it too, its a 94 lol.

Add your comment to this topic!