Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supercharge Vs. Turbocharge!

LLKoolE7
03-26-2002, 04:23 PM
i'd like to know peoples opinion on which is better...supercharge or turbocharge..i've been hearing that supercharge is better because the turbo doesn't kick in until higher rpms. i want to get one or the other for my '94 accord lx coupe. Anyways i'd like to know what peoples opinions are towards these two forced induction systems.
ONE--:flash: :flash: :flash:

Road Boss
03-26-2002, 05:10 PM
There isn't a supercharger for the 5th gen accord. Go with turbo!

SpoilerV2
03-26-2002, 07:44 PM
like Road boss said.. no one makes a super charger for any year for accords. both have there good and bad points.. Turbo needs to build up pressure so u have lag.. a is super charger is constant power however the pressure is limited to the size of the pulley.

note: Jackson Racing has been saying they will come out with a charger for a accord.. however they've been saying that for the last 4 Years.. everytime i write to themthey say it will beout by the end of the year.. I gave up. If thats how try to win over costumers, by giving false hope.. they can keep their product...

I even offered them to have my car as a proto type.. but no replies...:(

So go with a turbo or swap... u have greddy and F-max to choose from...they run from 2750+ (almost as much as a swap)

sidenote: there is no street legal turbo that is CARB approve for accords..(just saying that since ur up in Fremont CA) so u might have to finda ulternate meas when smogging ur ride.

LLKoolE7
03-26-2002, 09:59 PM
so you're saying that if i get a turbo for my accord i won't pass smog test? that's hella messed up...wich turbo would be better greddy or f-max

oh what do u mean by 2750+ max

SpoilerV2
03-27-2002, 12:49 AM
you wll not pass smog with a turbo.. the Visual test, because u hav altered the smog componnts on the car. In California if u ad a turbo to a car that didn't have it OEM it considered a off road use only never to be used for public streets.. Most legit placeswill turn u down. I know people with custom turbos on their integs.. on pays a grip under the table to smog it. The other one takes it off ever 2 year for smog.. the last one has a greddy with a CARB sticker. so he never gets hassled for it.

Unfortunately the kits for accords are not approved. So people in Cali find alternate means of getting it smoged...

2750 is what i've seen the F-max go for in group buy a couple months back... it may cost more or less.. only turn i've seen on a accord was a custom job and it came close to that price too.. Do ur homework first...

i've heard of peope making custom turbos off of junked cars and modifying to their accords for around a grand.. there is even directions on ebay for custom turbo instructions for hondas..

Turbos isn't a bolt on mod.. ureally need to know what ur doing.. Go to custom shops( ie, machine shops, performance shops, hell toyota/subaru clubs have alot of info about turbos).. talk to people..

VTECseoul
03-27-2002, 01:07 AM
Jackson Racing is building a S/C for the 3.0L V6, not the 4 banger. CompTech also has 1, shoulda been released by last Xmas i last heard & JRSC is supposed to be by June '02.

LLKoolE7
03-27-2002, 03:51 AM
Is there any good reason as to why there isn't a supercharger for an accord..i wish there was one...and i would probably resort to taking off my turbo kit before a smog test, now would be a good time for me to buy one cause i just had a smog test like a month ago.

strodda
03-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by SpoilerV2
you wll not pass smog with a turbo.. the Visual test, because u hav altered the smog componnts on the car. In California if u ad a turbo to a car that didn't have it OEM it considered a off road use only never to be used for public streets.. Most legit placeswill turn u down. I know people with custom turbos on their integs.. on pays a grip under the table to smog it. The other one takes it off ever 2 year for smog.. the last one has a greddy with a CARB sticker. so he never gets hassled for it.

i gotta quick one since you brought that up. i bought a noname cai off ebay and it doesnt have a carb sticker. will they fail me too??

SpoilerV2
03-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by strodda

i gotta quick one since you brought that up. i bought a noname cai off ebay and it doesnt have a carb sticker. will they fail me too??

most places won't hassle u for a intake upgrade.. Iuse to have Focus Z intake then went to a AEM.. The tech who does my smog says its the shops desgression to take it or not..

a intake won't mess up ur ratios.. it's a legal mumbo jumbo about modifying a smog regulate engine. But a fully legit shop won't take it cause they can get fined from the state inspection board..

most chances are they won't hassle u for it... but dont take my word. all shops are different.

strodda
03-28-2002, 09:09 PM
ok thanks, ill try that. just gotta find a local mom and pops shop that wont give a damn.

also, is there a physical difference between an aem cai and any other that makes it carb exempt?? or does aem just payoff people to make theirs legal?

Add your comment to this topic!