Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

lsvtec or gsr

nolicense
03-14-2005, 02:44 PM
i have a 91 ls i want it vtec what would be better a engine swap or a head swap plus im going to put turbo with it so what would go better with turbo

fasthatchb18c1
03-14-2005, 03:00 PM
i have a 91 ls i want it vtec what would be better a engine swap or a head swap plus im going to put turbo with it so what would go better with turbo

I'd go to the FAQ thread at the top that should answer about all your questions

sleeper97
03-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I would go with the swap I have heard the ls-vtec doesnt work well with turbos

slow_99integra
03-15-2005, 07:34 AM
ls vtec work much better with high CR. stay away from a turbo ls/vtec. i looked into building this engine, and to me for the money the cons outweigh the pros. Example: the vtec head doese not fit exactly on the ls block, therefore the head must A. be machined to fit the block or B. a ls/vtec conversion kit must be used. Next: the water pump on the gsr have i believe 21teeth and the ls have 19 teeth the gsr water pump must be switched. Also the gsr oil pump to the supply the needed oil to the head. Then the ls pistons will not be a good enough CR, so itr or gsr pistons are needed. Next the vtec oil line needed to tap the block to the head. In theory this is a brand new engine and all the bearings should be replace and everything should be resurfaced. Also a vtec controller or a gsr ecu. This just seemed like too much work. if this is not built correctly it will not last.

Si Integra
03-18-2005, 11:36 AM
slow_99integra is correct, I agree!
For the money to power ratio, i say go with the reliability, choose a oem b16, b17 (hard to find, b18c1 or c5 and rely on hondas enginering:)

Add your comment to this topic!