Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water in 98 rodeo bell housing

rgallau
03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Whenever I wash my engine, water somehow gets into my bell housing causing the clutch to shudder and buck for about a day after the washing. I just had to replace my entire clutch after 71,000 miles because of water damage to the release and pilot bearings. The clutch shop was at a loss to determine how the water gets in. Does anyone know how water gets in so that I can block it next time I wash my engine.

amigo-2k
03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
How are you washing your engine? High pressure hose?

rgallau
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
How are you washing your engine? High pressure hose?

I have been using a normal garden hose. I stand at the front of the engine and just spray the underside of the hood and the top of the engine. I don't even linger on any one spot. It is almost like there is a drain somewhere that directs the water right to a vent in the bell housing but I can't imaging where that is. Even the clutch shop said the bell housing is sealed, don't know where it could be getting in, and have never seen anything like it before. I was wondering if there is a hole by the starting motor that water could enter. Any ideas?

2eyefishclaw
03-15-2005, 08:49 PM
ther is no gasket between the engine and bellhousing and yes water can and will get in there if sprayed
if water was going inside of the vent tube you would have serious internal transmission issues

rgallau
03-17-2005, 01:44 PM
ther is no gasket between the engine and bellhousing and yes water can and will get in there if sprayed
if water was going inside of the vent tube you would have serious internal transmission issues

My transmission is fine. I change oil in it per schedule. I just checked it and there is no sign of water inside the tranny. I can't imagine any water getting between the block and bell housing even without a gasket. There must be a vent located at just the wrong spot for washing my engine. I will have to get under there again and find that vent.

Add your comment to this topic!