Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

street racing issues

Igovert500
03-14-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, so I'll start this as I've received a fair amount of IMs after closing those two "there are 1_ locked threads" threads. This is the appropriate place to voice concerns, and I'll link it in my sig so people can find it easily.

I guess I'll start with my issues, and you guys can respond and/or post your concerns as you see fit. But let's keep our tempers aside, I'll close this at the first signs of flaming. Let's keep it civil :)

I know everyone is annoyed with all the threads that keep getting locked...now why does this happen?

1) Threads are brought back from the proverbial 'dead'. Members, typically, but not only new ones, forget/overlook the previous posted dates and add a comment ressurecting an old thread. You all hate this, but there is little that can be done, other than making sure you don't do it, and informing new members that this is frowned upon

2) Flaming...all of us do it to some extent...it's the street racing section, there is an element of competition and rivalry...fine, but everybody is intelligent enough to know when it gets out of hand. Obviously, there are a few who seem to be on the receiving end more than others...what gets old really fast, is when 20 members all jump on the same person's back for the same thing. If a member makes an unintelligent comment, lie, whatever, than deal with it...either call his bluff, attempt at proving him wrong, report the thread to a moderator...whatever, just don't everybody beat a dead horse. There is a line, and it seems more and more that members (especially those that have been around awhile) are crossing it. I'll be quite honest...I find it ridiculous, that some of you complain about other stuff, when you are clearly guilty of this crap. I know I'm not alone when I say that sometimes I feel like this is grade school antics. IMO, if you want to have grounds to complain about others, then don't be a prick the rest of the time (once again, not naming names, not trying to start an argument, this is how I feel, and if you agree/disagree, feel free to comment. If you think I'm a prick, fine, say so...but let's do it in an adult manner)

3) The threads started about other closed threads is just stupid...you guys know the rules, the guidelines strictly state not to do it, so don't. It doesn't help the situation, and only creates more rifts than bridges.

4) This isn't really related to the others, more of a 100% personal thing...I find more and more that I am annoyed by the continual ricer comments. Yes, we all know what a ricer is...we've all heard every joke in the book. And we all know that there are morons out there that really do think vinyl is god's greatest gift to racers. We all have run ins with these people, and some are quite funny. But 30 clique replies about NAWWWSSS, type-R badges, fartcans, etc...get REALLY REALLY OLD. Also the honda bashing...I mean seriously, I've seen more riced cavs in the past day then I've seen hondas (riced or not) in the past week. Any car can be riced out, quit the generic honda bashing.

5)Import vs. Domestic crap...obviously this happens every so often, and we all know the arguments of both sides. Both have valid points, both have absolute crap. If you are like me, you are just sick of these, and don't even want to read or post in them anymore. If they are debated intelligently then they are worthwhile...but few remain intelligent discussions for very long.

So basically what I'm getting at...bottom line, I don't think these are problems created solely by new members...so if you all care about the quality of the Street racing subforum, then I suggest each of us as individuals tries a bit harder to remain adult. The forum is there to relate fun stories, not constantly argue and bicker. If everybody ups the caliber of their posting a bit, then 90% of the threads would remain open for longer than 2 hours. So yeah, that is just my .02 I don't mean to single anyone out, just wanted to have a thread for this, and I figured I'd start first.

dampachi
03-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I agree with everything that you're saying..but so many of the threads are getting closed for going off topic. Though we remain civil, no flaming..just a nice cool conversation. It gets locked. The conversation just took a turn elsewhere..what's the big deal? The 'nice kill', 'great job', 'fuck ricers' shit gets old reallllllll fast, too. As long as it's still vaguely related..and isn't TOO stupid..and isn't hostile..I think it should just be left alone. Some threads DO get a little heated..and alot of time it's my fault..but come on..it makes things more interesting. As long as the posts aren't just 'fuck you' I think *SOME* shit talking should be overlooked. All the fun threads are locked now. What do we got now? Some depressing story about some kid dying..some thread about kills you're ashamed of and like..that's pretty much it. I could see locking some of the threads that have been going on a litttttttle bit too long..to make room for the new ones. But..we don't have anything that's really new that anythings getting in the way of. Alot of us are getting snow/bad weather..so nothing new is really going on..so some threads might have a bit longer shelf life than they would at say..the middle of summer. I guess that's all I got to say.

KaotiKCamaro5
03-14-2005, 01:01 AM
you want my honest opinion.. its gonna be impossible to try n keep everyone in line. in any forum tempers will flare and egos will clash..

*i more or less feel like you wasted a lot of time and effort in your post, really all you did was restate some of the guidelines highlighted by AF. which i dont think a lot of the members take the time to even read.. and really a post half a page long isnt gonna get the message across very well either, i'd highlight key points in a direct manner with certain members through PMs because that seems to be the only way to get things done around here. :2cents: say what you will

dampachi
03-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah..it maybe a good idea to use actual examples.

BTW: kaotik..since when did you donate? did you just recently donate? or have I been overlooking that?

FormulaLT1
03-14-2005, 01:19 AM
I agree with everything that you're saying..but so many of the threads are getting closed for going off topic. Though we remain civil, no flaming..just a nice cool conversation. It gets locked. The conversation just took a turn elsewhere..what's the big deal? The 'nice kill', 'great job', 'fuck ricers' shit gets old reallllllll fast, too. As long as it's still vaguely related..and isn't TOO stupid..and isn't hostile..I think it should just be left alone. Some threads DO get a little heated..and alot of time it's my fault..but come on..it makes things more interesting. As long as the posts aren't just 'fuck you' I think *SOME* shit talking should be overlooked. All the fun threads are locked now. What do we got now? Some depressing story about some kid dying..some thread about kills you're ashamed of and like..that's pretty much it. I could see locking some of the threads that have been going on a litttttttle bit too long..to make room for the new ones. But..we don't have anything that's really new that anythings getting in the way of. Alot of us are getting snow/bad weather..so nothing new is really going on..so some threads might have a bit longer shelf life than they would at say..the middle of summer. I guess that's all I got to say.To be honest I don't want to have to read about you and CivRacer95 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=232382) talk about what the white man did to the American Indian's and how you should donate money to him and blah blah blah blah. That dragged its way into how many threads?(exactly how entertaining do you think that is for the rest of us that went into a "racing" forum) Its off topic and It doesn't interest me at all. IM or PM him if you guys like talking about it. I also don't like having hostile conversions with other people so that is also a big flaming no for allowing that. Also your right alot of the threads are getting locked because of you recently one day your all gung ho street racer making video, the next Redneck has to keep asking you to stop the anti street racer crusade cause you got a ticket(unrelated to street racing I might add). Pick a side and stick to it!!!!!!. All in all I see good things happen for the street racing forum, Neutrino has gotten us Video hosting which is a big bonus and the weather is getting nicer so we will all be able to get out there and see what our cars can do. I think the problem we are experiencing are temporary and as soon as we all learn to follow the rules a little bit better we won't have this problem, my :2cents:.

John

KaotiKCamaro5
03-14-2005, 01:23 AM
:iagree: and dampachi, it was a recent donation. arent the pink stars the coolest?

clawhammer
03-14-2005, 01:43 AM
My biggest problem is about newbies (under 10 posts) coming and asking what car should I get for street racing, who would win, etc. How can we avoid these posts, because apparently stickies aren't enough.

-Jayson-
03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
ive got a good idea, atleast i think it it. Alot of people look at the street racing section not only as racing, but as a general performance section. Maybe its because most of the people who street race continually upgrade their cars performance. So why not make an Street Racing Offtopic section. Where we can have the post related to street racing or car performance in general, but not have them clog up the actual street racing section? ALl the offtopic junk can go in their and ask all the "what upgrades should i get", "where do you race at" "what car should i buy", "what do you think of my car", "look at my new part", "look at my car", "look at my vid" as so forth.

This should keep everyone happy.

dampachi
03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
uhh. the only anti-street racing comment i made was full of sarcasm. i never said in my thread that i made about my ticket that no one else should street race. just for now, i'm taking a break. i still love street racing and will always be a street racer. just for the time being..i cooled down. i'm sorry if you haven't figured out what sarcasm and irony are.

BTW: Thanks for editing my sig.

FormulaLT1
03-14-2005, 02:10 PM
BTW: In MD...12 points = suspended license. If you're caught street racing..it's speeding+reckless driving+engaging in a drag race on public road+whatever else they can throw at you. Totalling atleast 16 points. Which is an automatic suspension. It just isn't worth it anymore.You know..street racings bad. If you didn't know yet..I just got a $275 speeding ticket for going 83mph. Oh yeah..and five points. I'm just glad I didn't get caught street racing. I don't know if I'll ever street race again.Yeah I see what you mean :rolleyes:. Also I sent you a PM explaining my reasoning for removing the link in your sig which got another member banned. I am so glad you find it approriate to bring it up in open forum rather than PM me back if you had a problem with my decision:nono:. I don't have anything personal against you and was basically just agreeing with you about, some of it is your fault(you made the point first). If you think I am out to get you feel free to PM a admin or another mod and ask them to deal with it. Otherwise just take my comments under consideration. Thats all I ask.

clawhammer
03-14-2005, 03:21 PM
ive got a good idea, atleast i think it it. Alot of people look at the street racing section not only as racing, but as a general performance section. Maybe its because most of the people who street race continually upgrade their cars performance. So why not make an Street Racing Offtopic section. Where we can have the post related to street racing or car performance in general, but not have them clog up the actual street racing section? ALl the offtopic junk can go in their and ask all the "what upgrades should i get", "where do you race at" "what car should i buy", "what do you think of my car", "look at my new part", "look at my car", "look at my vid" as so forth.

This should keep everyone happy.

I like that idea. Another option would be to have a script running that would check if the person has less than 10 posts, and then take them to the rules page before posting their thread.

Thourun
03-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I say just give people a weeks vacation if they violate the guidlines on making threads, even non-noobs, your not special just because of your post count.

dampachi
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Redneck asked me ONE TIME to not say anti street racing things..then I informed him of it being sarcastic..and all was well. :rolleyes: And the forums get boring with the same old shit..so we tend to stray a bit off topic. So what? What's it hurt for us to stray a bit off? And yes, getting a ticket IS loosely relevant to street racing. It's just like my car accident thread. I post those things in the street racing forum because those are the people who know me/that I talk to. And I'm just letting them know whats up.

FormulaLT1
03-14-2005, 08:08 PM
The problem isn't you creating a thread about your ticket in the street racing forum or bringing up a car accident in a new thread. The problem is all the threads going off topic. You didn't leave your little ticket problem in one thread. You brought it up in others and your not going off topic in one thread, Your carrying it off in many. I am not the local Street racing mod. So I can't allow you one off topic thread. You would need one of the local mods for that area to OK it for you but I am telling you that allowing you to go off topic in every thread would be unfair to the other members.

John

dampachi
03-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Oh no..so I can't reference to other threads? Let's use an example.

AFUser1: I just raced a car.
AFUser2: I just raced a car, too..I posted about it two days ago.
AFUser3: So yeah, AFUser2..how did that go?

So that's wrong, huh?

freakray
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Oh no..so I can't reference to other threads? Let's use an example.

AFUser1: I just raced a car.
AFUser2: I just raced a car, too..I posted about it two days ago.
AFUser3: So yeah, AFUser2..how did that go?

So that's wrong, huh?

Yes.

If your hypothetical user3 cares about hypothetical user2's race, he would go and read about user2's race on his own.

Each thread has a topic, to deliberately, knowingly and continuously take threads off topic is both unfair on the thread starter(read: selfish) and disrespectful.
Learn how forums work and all will be well in your future.

dampachi
03-14-2005, 09:10 PM
What if it's an old/locked/dead thread? I know you're going to say 'then take it to a PM' or something. oh well, whatever.

freakray
03-14-2005, 09:16 PM
What if it's an old/locked/dead thread? I know you're going to say 'then take it to a PM' or something. oh well, whatever.

You can read a thread without having to post in it.

Please desist in dragging this thread away from its intended topic and purpose, if you have something else to discuss, you are free to open your own thread to discuss it.
If you a personal agenda with a mod, do as you already seem to realise you should be doing and use the PM feature.

I expect to see no more on your 'sub-topic' in this thread, thank you.

-Jayson-
03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
yeah we should be able to go offtopic in our threads. We all like bullshiting together, let us bullsht together!

No making of offtopic threads
You ARE allowed to go offtopic in a thread.

FormulaLT1
03-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Why have topics if we are just all going to pile into a forum and say whatever comes to mind?. We are not saying you can't ever go off topic slighty or one or 2 posts off topic. We are talking about the threads that go 4 pages about stuff that has nothing to do with the topic. If you want to have a chat room there are plenty of services for that. If you want to chat off topic there is a forum for it. The street racing forum is for "street racing ". Sorry but thats the way it is. We do not lock threads on the first off topic posts. You guys have been given plenty of leway but you go way off topic and thats when threads get locked. Like I said if you want to have one thread devoted to off topic that may be able to be arranged but all the other forums have to go by the rules why should the Street racing forum get special treatment?

youngvr4
03-14-2005, 11:52 PM
you can go off topic slightly without completly hijacking a thread! just dont carry it on and carry it on and carry it on.

if you want to go all the way off topic, pm the person and have fun.
use instant messanger, but dont completly hijack a thread!

newbs have always been a problem, no matter where you go on any site. this is what moderators are for.
you have guidlines to follow and stickies to look at, but in reality most dont even glance at it. its not that big of a deal. if you see something wrong or see a newb doing something way out of hand, then pm a moderator.

that should be it

dampachi
03-15-2005, 12:18 AM
it seems like the only people who have a problem with what goes on in the street racing forum are non street racing forum moderators. why don't you guys leave it to igovert, youngvr4 and redneck to moderate the forum? i really have no problem with the threads of mine redneck closed..they were done rightfully so. i made a joke that lasted 15 pages long. that's just..overkill. and i forgot what the other one was. so yeah.

BTW: Freakray..I noticed you live in Baltimore, MD. So do I. :)

FormulaLT1
03-15-2005, 12:23 AM
it seems like the only people who have a problem with what goes on in the street racing forum are non street racing forum moderators?.
Um ,what do you mean by non street racing forum mods?.

dampachi
03-15-2005, 12:29 AM
i was under the impression that there were mods for each divison of the forum??

......if someone is editing these posts it'd be nice if you'd let me know rather than me thinking i'm hallucinating this shit..you may as well edit this out too..

FormulaLT1
03-15-2005, 12:45 AM
There are regional and global mods. While a moderator is someone who represents AF and should be listened to as they will let you know when one of the rules for forum use is not being followed there are certain mods that have local forums to them and are there for changes to be made for those forums and what goes on there. Other mods come in to take care of things when the local/regional mod isn't around to handle problem's. However all mods are responsible to make sure the guidelines and the forums are moving smoothly. The street racing forum isn't generally a problem but like I said it was a temporary problem and no one is talking about running in and forcing changes on you guy. We would like to see more threads stay on topic. Thats all, this way there wouldn't be the need for us to lock all the thread's and I can assure you that had one of the local/regional mods been around the same actions would have taken place. So if you think just because Redneck, polygon, layla's keeper or Neutrino are around they will let you break the rules your sadly mistaken.

John

PS- Please disregard our new troll we have around that pops his head in from time to time.

dampachi
03-15-2005, 12:48 AM
By the way. Check out the What Car To Buy FAQ in the street racing forum. Your little fbody buddies are trying to start some shit..

FormulaLT1
03-15-2005, 12:54 AM
I had nothing to do with that and since you won't drop the attitude with me take a 3 day break. Come back with a little more respect please.

Thanks

John

freakray
03-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Dampachi, you were requested to modify your behaviour by 2 moderators, you evidently don't get the message.

Igovert500
03-15-2005, 12:27 PM
why don't you guys leave it to igovert, youngvr4 and redneck to moderate the forum?

I'm not a 'street racing' mod. Specifically, I'm a 3000gt mod...but I happen to frequent quite a few other parts of this forum and help where I can. Any other mod has just as much right, if not more of a right than I do, to moderate as they see fit.

Now if anyone still cares...wanna bring this one back on topic?

civicHBsi91
03-15-2005, 02:09 PM
Lock the Thread! no one cares.

most mod's abuse their powers these days.

Enough said. Goodbye.

FormulaLT1
03-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Enough said. Goodbye.

This thread and this forum is not all about you. If you don't like the way we deal with things send complaints on to Igor or make reference to what your talking about. The only members who have problems with mods are the member that don't follow the rules. This thread is not going to be locked right now but add to the topic or start another thread don't complain about mods enforcing the rules cause you don't agree with them.

John

CivRacer95
03-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I'll gladly voice my apologies here. As FormulaLT1 stated on page one, Dampachi and I have gone off topic in pretty much every thread in the street racing forums. To me, it was just natural to reply to his comments by posting. Honestly the thought to pm one another had never crossed my mind, and I practically forgot that that little feature could be used to do so. I will gladly say that I am sorry for such a foolish mistake. So, I'm sorry.

As for Jaysons idea stated earlier, about the Offtopic Street Racing Forum, I would gladly back that idea up 100%. I mean it would be great to have another forum for your "look what I got", "what should I get next?", "pics of my car", and other miscellaneous somewhat related street racing threads. Truthfully I spend 99% of my time in the street racing forums because that is where I am most comfortable, and there just happen to be the most interesting conversations there.

Igovert has made the point that there is much flaming involved. Being a Honda owner myself, I'd like to say thank you for clearing up the fact that not only Hondas are ricers. Constantly I hear the same cliche of "I saw dis Honda wit da HUUUGE WiNG, Stikerz, Neonz, and da BigGESt Fart CaN I have ever seen!" Not just noobs post about this, but I have seen many regulars do so as well. That would be my biggest problem. I will admit that I am one of the biggest teasers in those forums, but that's only because that it's my personality, but I am sure to make it clear that I am joking. I would hope that most would take note of that, and it's my way of dealing with matters.

And admittedly, I have jumped on the band wagon when someone else was being made fun of (DetroitMuscle/Burntrice). But I think everyone there has done so, but I am guilty without question. Although, I told him that I respect the fact that he continues to post along, and that he should drop his little "gangsta" act. I surprisingly got the response back from him that he said he would. But there are few others that have that problem as well, and I was just pointing out that Detroit was in general, the biggest target there. The majority of the time I like to keep others from getting out of line because some of the name calling becomes quite harsh, and it gets tiresome when two go back and forth saying such profanities that I wouldn't say here. I have taken note that many forums outside of AF, have mods that edit out profanities, which I think is a great idea, but I don't think most here mind at all, but it would be something to consider.

In conclusion, I myself have no problem with the jobs that the Mods are doing, they are doing their best to keep threads/posts clean, and there are so very little of you. It would be nice to have a few more added to the Street Racing forums, particularly Redneck is the one I see there most often, and I don't feel as though he would like to take the time to read every single post there. There are many threads posted in that section daily. And to take the time to read all posts isn't an easy task. If I had the power myself to atleast just close a thread for being off topic, I would do so. But that's not up to you to decide whether I can do that or not, just stating that if I could, I would. I could care less about banning someone, or having the power to edit, because most should know better to keep clean posts. And if they don't they are dealt with by a higher power. Thanks for bringing this up to everyones attention Igovert, I'm glad for having the opportunity to be a part of these forums and know that I can be heard by my peers. L8...

FormulaLT1
03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Very good post and you made some interesting points :thumbsup:.

I don't think a whole Off topic subforum is needed but like I said if the local mods for that section think its necessary to add a off topic thread I wouldn't disagree.

-Jayson-
03-15-2005, 08:59 PM
i think a whole offtopic street racing forum is needed. It will completely clear up this entire mess. One thing none of you "street racing mods" realize is that the people in the street racing forums are the same people over and over. We like to bullshit with eachother. I like talking to the guys in the street racing section more than any other section here.

Can we have our own Offtopic street racing section? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!? Please!??

i guarantee it will get used alot, prolly more than the actualy street racing section itself.

chevytrucks92
03-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Well, since this is for complaints, lol. I know I'm probably not considered a "regular" to the street racing forum (even though I do post there the most, would do all of my posting in the drag racing section but nobody ever goes in there, or so it seems), but it just seems to me like there is alot of "special treatment" that happens in the street racing forum.

What I mean by special treatment is one member, member X, who is a fairly well known/respected member can start a topic about something (or make a reply to a thread), and everything is fine and dandy. Then, another member, member Y, who isn't a well known member, can start a similar thread, and all the "regular/respected" members jump him for it. The example I'm thinking of is the recent car accident threads (but its evident in alot of the threads). The one guy posted a thread and almost everybody was like "so what, big deal, etc.", then another member (respected member to say the least) starts an accident thread, and everyone is like "man that sucks, etc.".

And I'm not saying this to the moderators so to speak as I am just members in general. There is an evident double standard in the street racing forum.

There also seems to be alot of members who make it a point to discredit someone or point out a mistake. There is nothing wrong with saying "No, I dont think its that way" or when someone uses facts to disprove someone, etc. But sometimes it just gets ridiculas! The way I see it, if a moderator doesn't say anything about it, then its not our place to "point it out" to that member.

My suggestion for the street racing forum would be a "board meeting" type of thread. Either give it a sticky or link to it directly when we first enter the street racing forum (and lock it). In this thread, remind everyone of the rules and just get the message across for everyone to not be so "ass-holish" to new/newer members. You guys could do this for a couple days and then be done with it.

BTW, there are some really interesting topics in the street racing forum now (Slowprocess's videos and pictures), even more interesting then "enter 16 second economy car" kills/vs. "enter 16 second economy car" threads IMO.

streetrcr45
03-16-2005, 01:42 AM
personally..i don't think that the off topic posting is that annoying. I will say that when there are numerous pages of off-topic posting that it gets a little bit annoying, but the members of the street racing forums are like a big family, and sometimes people just want to talk. I believe that this talking should be allowed to a certain extent. *moderators discretion*

I realize that i do not post that often, but i have been an active member for a few years now and i know that one of the reasons why people post their stuff in the street racing forum compared to the off-topic forum is because their arent as many familiar faces in the off topic forum. Me personally am very comfortable with the people that are in the street racing forum and like to share my things with them and comment within that forum compared to the off-topic forums where i don't really know anyone and know that they probably won't care as much.

I guess the point that i am tryign to get across is that the street racing forum consistes of members who can be seen as a big family. Sure, there are alot of fights, but there are alot of friendships as well. Not all of the members from the street racing forum post in the off topic forums or other forums, and therefore we don't get the feedback and criticism from the people who we have come to like, trust, and be friends with.

so, if you haven't arrived at an answer to why we always go off-topic in our (members of the streetracing forum) forum, then what i have said could might clear a little confusion or pondering up.

If you don't care what i have just said or already knew that, than i'm sorry for making you read such a long worthless post. lol..

CivRacer95
03-16-2005, 06:11 AM
I agree entirely with what you are saying streetrcr45. I had mentioned earlier that I am most comfortable there, and you pretty much summed up the reason why I am most comfortable there. I like to get along with everybody there, and I can't really associate with the 92-95 Civic regulars because I don't feel I can joke around with them the way I do in the SR forums. I know that I can come to the SR forums, joke around, and laugh at everyone's comments. And plus, it's not just Civic owners there, and you can always see how everyone is progressing. It doesn't seem like I'm limited to just one genre of automobiles and you get a bigger picture of what's out there. Plus everyone's personality there makes a great mixture of entertainment to me.

As for what I said earlier about being able to just edit/lock threads for being out of control. I thought about this just earlier today, but what if you had "sub-moderators" that had the ability to edit/lock threads. Or would that be the same as a local moderator? Just curious, but personally I wouldn't mind the responsiblity of being able to lock/edit threads. I do spend the majority, if not all, my time in the street racing forum. Not trying to talk myself up, but I would gladly take on that responsiblity to read threads as I already do. Even while I'm at work now, I'm on here posting lol. Just a thought and if the idea does strike your interest I'd be glad to know. L8...

FormulaLT1
03-16-2005, 12:27 PM
The street racing forum has 3 local mods, at least 4 globals mods and 5 regionals mods that frequent it, I don't think adding more mods to that forum is the answer. Infact this thread was brought up cause TOO MANY threads were getting locked. We appreciate your offer but asking to be a mod is not how one becomes a mod.

As for Chevytrucks92 comment about people attacking Newbies for stuff the regulars post without flame :1:, We were all newbies at one point and if everyone talked sh*t to us. You think we would still be around?

John

twospirits
03-16-2005, 02:31 PM
How did I miss this thread. Except for a few exceptions, why can't more threads be as civil as this one.
The street racing forum has 3 local mods, at least 4 globals mods and 5 regionals mods that frequent it, I don't think adding more mods to that forum is the answer. Infact this thread was brought up cause TOO MANY threads were getting locked. We appreciate your offer but asking to be a mod is not how one becomes a mod. I would like to add that there are quite a few moderators (myself being one) that just go around and cruise the sections and actually read up on the postings, but don't actually post unless it is really really necessary.

Now this thread brings up quite a few interesting points, I wasn't going to post, but ....
its gonna be impossible to try n keep everyone in line. in any forum tempers will flare and egos will clash.. i more or less feel like you wasted a lot of time and effort in your post, really all you did was restate some of the guidelines highlighted by AF. which I dont think a lot of the members take the time to even read.. I tend to disagree. If a member is arguing with another member, the mods will step in and try to difuse the situation. The members should have read and understood the guidelines when they first joined AF. Now if the member violates the guidelines or special forum specific (sticky) guidelines and after being warned, and continues, then more extreme measures will be taken. Simple as that. This goes to all members, regardless of the post count of the member, be it 1 or 10,000. In fact, the senior members should know better and be an example to the newer ones.

I noticed that quite a few complain that the newbies just come in and start asking questions, without first searching and reading up on the sticky posts. This isn't an isloated problem, this happens in all discussion groups, not only in AF. The more senior members should understand that everyone was a newbie at one time or another and just direct them to the sticky posts/faqs or answer the question without resorting to flames and put downs. Of course there are a few exceptions. This also goes for those that have been here for quite a while and just come in to start stuff up for no reason.

Speaking of which...

Enough said. Goodbye.Its posts like this that gets good threads locked. This is a perfect example of taking the thread off topic. Its not needed and uncalled for.

Now, creating a Off Topic sub section, has its pros and cons. If its related to Street Racing only, then sure it makes sense, if not then we already have an Off Topic section. One thing is for certain, the rules have to be outlined for that new section so this way the members and mods know what is allowed or not. You do not want it to spill over into the regular SR section. It will defeat its' purpose.

As for creating sub-moderators/requesting to be a mod. Members have to understand that requesting to be one usually (but not always) elminates you from being one. The admins enlist members to become moderators on their ability to handle situations, helping others, knowledge of their vehicles among other things. Going through the posting history usually indicates the cream of the crop as they say.
I personnally do not think the Racing section needs additional (sub)moderators and the small amount of problems surfacing can be dealt with, but thats not to say it is ruled out entirely. Like my signature say, the more the members are involved the better we will be. Suggestions and involvement makes us all better.

TS out (of sight again) :)

chevytrucks92
03-16-2005, 03:42 PM
As for Chevytrucks92 comment about people attacking Newbies for stuff the regulars post without flame :1:, We were all newbies at one point and if everyone talked sh*t to us. You think we would still be around?

Exactly. I think some of the regulars in the street racing forum tend to forget that. It rarely happens in the Chevrolet trucks forums. True, not as many personalities and there is more technical discussion in those forums, but either way, you get my point, thanks.

I noticed that quite a few complain that the newbies just come in and start asking questions, without first searching and reading up on the sticky posts. This isn't an isloated problem, this happens in all discussion groups, not only in AF. The more senior members should understand that everyone was a newbie at one time or another and just direct them to the sticky posts/faqs or answer the question without resorting to flames and put downs. Of course there are a few exceptions. This also goes for those that have been here for quite a while and just come in to start stuff up for no reason.

Again, exactly what I was getting at. I'm glad another person sees it too.

CivRacer95
03-16-2005, 03:49 PM
The only reason I suggested that option is because we really need someone to be there more often. Not until recently have I noticed that a mod has been around more often than usual. I wasn't nescessarily asking to be a (sub)moderator, but only suggesting that I wouldn't mind trying to take on the position if I were able to be appointed to do so. I've read about other members in the past who have asked about that position, and like you said, if you ask it's more than likely you won't. But don't think that I was suggesting that I should be one, only saying that the responsibility would be something I wouldn't mind doing regardless if you gave me the option or not. And yes, suggesting that I wouldn't mind having the responsiblitly does sound like I was asking to be one, but know that my intentions weren't set on that at all. I just feel that that section (SR) should be receiving more attention due to the continuous threads/posts everyday, and I believe it to be the most active section in all of AF.

As for the Off Topic Street Racing Section (Don't know what else to call it), here's some thoughts of what should or can be posted there.

Street Racing off topic posts/threads: Can ask for "what should I do next?" Show pics of your car/project/ricers cars/accidents/timeslips. Received a ticket, need some suggestions. Also, the FAQ on what car to buy would be a good idea there.

EX 1: Thread: Recieved a ticket for Street Racing. The thread would be along the lines of how so and so received a huge ticket/fine for racing. So and so feels like crap, what should he do, what are his options. Everyone can reply by giving ideas to help out thread starter, state things like "that sucks", "too bad", yada yada yada.

EX 2: Thread: I've saved some money, what should I buy next? This would give maybe a poll or just two options like a TC or SC. Plans on running at the track in a few weeks, months, whatever. Others can give their opinion on what should be purchased next, and even suggest other ideas to the thread starter.

EX 3: Thread: Here's some pics of my new parts installed/dyno/timeslips/car/whatever. Contents would show pics of such and such's new parts that they installed. Pics of their engine bay. Installation of new parts/old parts that have been taken out. How well they performed at the track. Their last dyno run. Etc...

Those are just a few suggestions as to what could be categorized in the Off Topic SR section. And the regular Street Racing section should specifically be for Street Racing stories/vids. Whereas the off topic section could be for FAQ(What to buy), Pics, and Polls for what to get next threads. I don't know, I'm just throwing out some ideas to see if they will snag anyone's interest. Atleast I'm trying to make an effort and hoping somebody else can catch on to what I'm saying :biggrin:. L8...

FormulaLT1
03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Like has been said already, There are many many mods that cruise that section. Redneck, Polygon, Layla's keeper, Hypsi87. Neutrino, igovert500 , youngsVR4 and myself (just to name a few) all go threw there many times a day. So no there is no need for a 13th mod to be added to that section and its not the most heavily traveled section. Its 3rd or 4th and the only forum in AF that has more mods cruise threw it is Completely off Topic and that forum is double the size plus some. The Street racing forum mods have seen this thread, If they think a Off topic sub forum is needed they have the means to get that request carried out, if they don't I understand why and feel you guys are given alot of slack as to how far off topic your allowed to go and if you don't feel like talking about street racing all the time. You should all start frequenting completely off topic. Just my :2cents:.

John

CivRacer95
03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Like has been said already, There are many many mods that cruise that section. Redneck, Polygon, Layla's keeper, Hypsi87. Neutrino, igovert500 , youngsVR4 and myself (just to name a few) all go threw there many times a day. So no there is no need for a 13th mod to be added to that section and its not the most heavily traveled section. Its 3rd or 4th and the only forum in AF that has more mods cruise threw it is Completely off Topic and that forum is double the size plus some. The Street racing forum mods have seen this thread, If they think a Off topic sub forum is needed they have the means to get that request carried out, if they don't I understand why and feel you guys are given alot of slack as to how far off topic your allowed to go and if you don't feel like talking about street racing all the time. You should all start frequenting completely off topic. Just my :2cents:.

John

Maybe it's just me who hasn't noticed. I am on here quite often, and that is just how I saw it. I apologize if I was a bit eager to say that the Street Racing section needs more attention and that those mods weren't giving it the attention it needed, but to point out, "I" felt that it is the most active thread. But to include what you said, I made that last post keeping in mind that those mods do come by here and possibly have read this thread, but I would like them to see what I have suggested. I'm just looking to a future possibility and not making the assumption that it is certain.

Also, it is very true that there is too much slack being given in the SR forum, and that's just why I feel it would deserve more attention or should I say that so much "slack" shouldn't be given. I mean, if you give so much "slack" then of course that is why it will get out of control. If anything, there shouldn't be that much "slack" given. Otherwise that is just viewed, subconciously, as a reason to get off topic. For example, if you allow a child to get away with a wrong doing without punishment, that child will continue their wrong doing because no consequences will take place for their action. Now if you punish that child for their wrong doing the first time, they will realize that consequences will follow for their actions. I'm not saying go straight up hardcore, and ban the first person that gets out of line for their first mistake, but rather warn them that if it continues more than twice an immediate action will be taken. I think once is fair enough to let go, but twice is "slack" enough and that's when a warning should be sent out. I'm just trying to help the Street Racing section clean up a bit because I really do spend so much time there, and I would like to see things straightened up accordingly. Even now as I post threads are probably getting a little off topic :lol:. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way. And you'll have to excuse me, I'm on some pain medication and I'm not fully here as I post as well :biggrin:. L8...

Igovert500
03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Just to add a few comments to some posts:

I agree with the other mods who have spoken, essentially the most recent complaints have been the threads closed, which I equate with the members saying there is a bit 'too much moderation', not a lack thereof...so Civ, while we appreciate the thought, and your willingness, like the others said, it probably isn't necessary.

As far as a SR OT thread, I think this is a great idea, and we mods are discussing it as of now.

As far as the Ticket Sticky...check out cars in general/traffic violations...that is pretty much exactly what you were describing

And just to reiterate...I know that the street racing section is a mostly close-knit group of friends...so is the 3000gt section...sub-forum regulars tend to get familiar with each other and chat...I know, and I don't have a problem with the few random comments, like "Oh, when's your SC going in" or "How are those new tires", or "when are you coming to NY" Those are fine, when people make a few comments, ask a question or so...obviously it is off-topic but is tolerated...the problem in my eyes, and I'm sorry if this is repetative is the COT threads, and the hi-jacking of threads in which they turn into chatrooms. If you wanna 'chat' use PMs or AIM.

Thanks for suggestions/comments though...keep em coming...

-Josh-
03-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Well i pretty much just skimmed through this thread, and thought i would go ahead and put a comment or two in here, and it might have even already been talked about but..oh well...

New members who go to the street racing forum dont know any better when they start threads that dont belong there, and i'm getting sick of them constantly getting harassed by other...not so new members, you can't expect them to come to the site and say "hmmm, i should research every aspect of the forum so i dont make anyone mad." I honestly think we should crack down more on the members who treat the new members badly more than the new members who dont know any better; Members who have been here should set an example and be civil about it, and definately let the mods handle it. This forum has changed a lot since i joined, some for the better, some for the worst. It's like there are certain factions of members who only get along with each other when we should all be getting along and giving advice, and i'll admit even i am guilty of this. As for the burntrice/detroit kid...heh, i wont go there, but he wont get any respect from me, and if he acts like an idiot, i'll treat him like one... Everyone else though i dont have a problem with. However i do know that we all need to start getting along, maybe some of the older members who left because they didnt like the way the forum was getting will come back.

youngvr4
03-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Well i pretty much just skimmed through this thread, and thought i would go ahead and put a comment or two in here, and it might have even already been talked about but..oh well...

New members who go to the street racing forum dont know any better when they start threads that dont belong there, and i'm getting sick of them constantly getting harassed by other...not so new members, you can't expect them to come to the site and say "hmmm, i should research every aspect of the forum so i dont make anyone mad." I honestly think we should crack down more on the members who treat the new members badly more than the new members who dont know any better; Members who have been here should set an example and be civil about it, and definately let the mods handle it.

i agree with you 100%. and i will start cracking down on that

is just going through a faze right now, i use to be on the street racing forum like hours at a time. just been a little busy latley. redneck and carrrnut seems to be a little busy also. but your right it needs to be stoped.

Underground_Killah
03-24-2005, 02:51 AM
well here's my idea....

I spent 3 minutes and read the faq's before posting sticky before i posted my first time.

it isn't too hard to follow some simple rules.

however, it is unfair for people whom are not mods to bitch at the person who failed to follow them. We (non mods) have really no power, nor seniority (we can get banned just as quickly as a new person) and should take our experience and pass it along with FRIENDLY advice. not "your so stupid, read the rules"

Another idea which is a concern to me is the idea that everyone hates the ricer stuff. it's funny for a while, this is true, heck even civ's speaking of the white man taking over was funny to me... i actually laughed while reading it. it didn't get boring to me and i wasn't offended (white guy here) now if we had this nonspecific room for street racing, he could type till he got calices all over his fingers about it and no one would really stop him. I for one only visit 3 rooms, the SR, J30 and Tiburon forums. I honestly don't want to have to bookmark something else. if it's accessable from the SR board, i'll go to it and post my offtopic stuff.

The mods are working as best as they can. I don't think they get paid to do this, and it's honestly not much of a power trip (i've been a mod in the past, not here, but you get the idea). speaking from experience, it's not about the power trip or anything, it's about helping people and helping the forum blossom into something great. To fix problems that could potentially devour the forum.

I have no problem with anyone here, and i feel free to speak my mind with no harrassment. i was a newbie just like everyone else, and i followed the rules (to the best of my ability) which means anyone can.

i duno about the recent happenings with all the bannings and locked threads, but i'm hoping it'll work itself out soon cause i liked the mods and want only the best for them.

I'm not one to speak of course, but i want to know what the main mods are planning on doing when most of the other mods get banned or dethroned?

Btw, to some mods... we need a mod for J30. It's getting kinda crowded and some posts just need to be closed.

(i know i am supposed to pm, but i don't know who to pm on that)

dugie6551
03-24-2005, 08:32 AM
I have no problem with anyone here, and i feel free to speak my mind with no harrassment. i was a newbie just like everyone else, and i followed the rules (to the best of my ability) which means anyone can.

:iagree: As a regular member now, when I came to AF as a Newbie, I posted a slightly NSFW thread and was politely told not to. Now I did not read the forum rules, and probably very few do when they first come into AF, but I quickly learned that was not acceptable on this site and I don't do it anymore.

I also do not insult anyone in here, unless they continuously repeat doing stupid, obvious things (it has happened only once to one member in the S10 forum !!!). But after realizing that arguing with that person is immature and childish; I stopped right way and ignored him. That is my right as a member to this site. If I do not agree with someone, I can choose to not post a response.

The mods are here to warn people about what is acceptable and not acceptable here; politely at first, then harshly after, but not without a warning. Some choose to ignore the mods and get in trouble. What happens if you choose to ignore the police, you get in trouble. Same here in AF!!

Anyway, I am glad this site is set up like it is. It gets kinda boring to always get some a$$hole bitching at you through the computer because they think they are better then everyone else. It is nice to have intellegent, civilized, funny (sometimes opinionated) conversions with others. We are all here to have fun, get a laugh and learn from others.

That's my :2cents:

whtteg
03-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Btw, to some mods... we need a mod for J30. It's getting kinda crowded and some posts just need to be closed.

(i know i am supposed to pm, but i don't know who to pm on that)

I stuck your picture thread for you and locked a few of the old posts, is that what you were wanting?

Polygon
03-24-2005, 02:30 PM
OK, so I'll start this as I've received a fair amount of IMs after closing those two "there are 1_ locked threads" threads. This is the appropriate place to voice concerns, and I'll link it in my sig so people can find it easily.

I agree with everything you've said and I plan to do something about it. I’m going to write up some forum rules and guidelines for the Street Racing section. I'll then run it by the other Street Racing moderators as well as the moderators that frequent the section to see if they have anything to add/remove. I just notice how some sort of rules/guidelines keep other sections of the forums in better shape like your Stealth/VR4 section. I hope to have them written up this weekend and I’ll be sending you a copy of them. I’d like to see the Street Racing section cleaned up and kept that way. It has a somewhat bad reputation.

Also, another thing that I've been noticing a lot lately are posts about parts for cars. There are a few people wondering about cold air intakes, headers, or other parts for their cars. Post like that don’t belong in the Street Racing section, but I've been guilty of doing it too because there isn’t really any better forum to post them in. This is why I have been trying to persuade aves911 to make a Project Car forum. My idea would be so that each member would be allowed to have one thread where they could post updates to their project car much like a CarDomain site. Nobody would be able to post responses in those threads. However, there would be two sub-forums for Questions and General Discussion. Where people could post questions and discuss the different cars in the Project Car forum or just ask questions about parts for their cars.

If you like that idea, tell aves911 and Igor. I would really like to see this forum come to life so help me out and help me bug them to make it.

dugie6551
03-24-2005, 02:42 PM
What about having a "Couch Racing" section ... where someone can ask "What if I put this on my vehicle ..." questions? Along the same lines as an "armchair qusterback" thing.

That would be a place for those kind of questions and answers.

Underground_Killah
03-25-2005, 12:43 AM
I stuck your picture thread for you and locked a few of the old posts, is that what you were wanting?
yes! thanks so much!

i'm trying to build it up to be a better forum thanks again!

CivRacer95
03-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Polygon, I don't know if this is what you are looking for but here is a link to what I found:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1259

Maybe you've already known about this section, but if not, then I hope I atleast helped you out somewhat enough. But I was just browsing around the site, and I just happened to remember that I came across this section a long time ago. Anyway, hope that is what you are looking for. L8...

Polygon
03-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I knew about that section but that is for AF project cars like the 350Z not for members. I want something like that with a General Discussion and Questions forums for the members of AF.

Add your comment to this topic!