Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Inline 6 Questions

KATTRAX
03-26-2002, 08:09 AM
As soon as I finish my interior restoration I would like to modify my inline 6.
Anybody know what mods you can do to a 1968 original inline 6 engine so it sounds and runs better or should I yank it out?
I've had some repair work done to it and my husband doesn't like me to have more than 6 cylanders ( I do like to race, can't resist a reving engine) But I wonder if you can turbo that or something. I know I can glass pack it for a meaner sound but I hate that fake sounding crap.
My husbands 1968 cougar with a 351 clevland and bored out boss heads sounds so much better compared to some glassed out engine. I guess I can always poke holes in the exhaust.. just kidding.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shellie

5.0VIPERMAN
03-26-2002, 11:06 AM
I don't know if I would put a turbo in that engine. It is pretty old and I don't know if it could handle the turbocharger for more than a year or so. I think the turbo would wear the engine down. It just depends on how many miles the engine has, how well it was taken care of, etc. Some engines just aren't built for turbochargers, especially ones that old. You might be able to put some stronger pars in the engine to be able to handle it. Have you put different headers or exhaust on it yet? If not, I would look into doing so (Flowmaster exhaust). That would make the car sound better. Other than that, I can't think of another way to make a six cylinder sound better. Good Luck

speedfreak
04-12-2002, 05:23 AM
Well, you could get an aftermarket header that makes the exhaust into dual(I think Hooker makes a header) with some nice turbo mufflers AND A CROSSOVER PIPE, an Offenhauser intake manifold that takes a 4-barrel carb, taller cam, roller rockers, etc. You can build an I-6 just as well as a 289 or 302. I think it may even be possible to find a supercharger too, but then that engine might need a rebuild. Same for turbo, but it isnt ideal for a carb setup anyway.

Also......your husband has a built Cleveland, yet he only lets you play with a 6? Kick his ass!

Add your comment to this topic!