Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Windstar rough idle

WindstarDad
03-13-2005, 08:31 AM
I have a 2000 Windstar with 71,000 miles on it. Aside from some brake issues earlier on and a power seat issue its been a pretty good vehicle. About 2 months ago the van wouldnt start. Engine would crank. would fire only if i pushed the accelerator during start up. Ran rough for twenty minutes or so, actually stalling out at just about every stop light or when coming to a stop. Figured bad gas. Added injector cleaner and Heet and seemed ok. No check engine lights. Happened again a few days later. Took to mechanic. No engine lights. No error codes. Couldnt duplicate the problem. Is happening about 3-4 times a week. No rhyme or reason. We thought cooler temps and then warmer temps and even moist days, but there is no real pattern. Took back again to mechanic to check out. No duplication, no error codes, no check engine lights. Have read quite a few posts. Thinking MAF sensor, fuel injector relay. When its acting up the engine will slowly start to act better and rpms at idle will start to maintain closer to 700-750 where it idles fine, but not before noticing the rpm needle fluctuating from 250-1000 up and down while coming to stops or at stops. Would like to get fixed and hold on to vehicle awhile longer, but cant get a mechanic to figure it out. Looking for advice.

dcharb
05-30-2005, 08:27 AM
I have the same problem with my 2000 Windstar. I found that the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) is what is causing the problem. Sounds like you might have the same thing happening. Let me know what you find.

DRW1000
05-30-2005, 09:53 AM
At 71,000 Miles you should be able to hold onto it for a long while yet.

Sounds like at idle you are not getting the proper air or fuel or both. Since it runs at higher RPMs I would assume that your Ignition, fuel preesure, Injectors are okay. Some things I would suspect:

-IAC (as mentioned previously)
-Dirty MAF - causing inproper Air/fuel ratio
-Intake Leak
-TPS
-EGR open at idle.

I would think most of these (if not all)would set a code. You should be able to troubleshoot each of these with the help of a Haynes or similar.

12Ounce
05-30-2005, 11:52 AM
I find two relays that also will give these symptoms on '99+ models ... in a flacky, "come and go", but worsening manner:

1. PCM power relay
2. Fuel pump relay

Both are located in the box next to battery. I put my money on them. Refer to glove box manual for relay identification.

cornboy
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I have a 99 Windstar and am experiencing the same problems except that I do get the Check light. The error code I get is P0171 and P0174 (System too lean bank 1 or 2). My mechanic researched the problem and found that this is common w/Windstar's and that Ford does not have a set proceedure to fix the problem. Ford says not to replace the PCM, MAF or HEGO as they are not the root causes. Ford recommends looking for a loose fitting fuel pressure regulator vacuum line on the intake manifold or leaking isolator bolts or part gaskets near the mounting area. Ford also says to reprogram the PCM w/the latest calibration (WDS B26.2 or later)-not replacing the PCM.

WindstarDad
05-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the reminder about my original post. I forgot to respond. After replacing the MAF and a few other things, I decided to check the IAC(Idle Air Control) valve as recommended by a reply. Very easy to do. Checked out a repair manual at the library for additional help and a little peace of mind. Was definitely dirty with carbon deposits, etc. I cleaned real good twice with some parts cleaner and it started right up. It has been running fine now for over 3 months. That was definitely the problem. Anybody having these symptoms should check the IAC first! Thanks for the help on this forum.

DRW1000
05-30-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a 99 Windstar and am experiencing the same problems except that I do get the Check light. The error code I get is P0171 and P0174 (System too lean bank 1 or 2). My mechanic researched the problem and found that this is common w/Windstar's and that Ford does not have a set proceedure to fix the problem. Ford says not to replace the PCM, MAF or HEGO as they are not the root causes. Ford recommends looking for a loose fitting fuel pressure regulator vacuum line on the intake manifold or leaking isolator bolts or part gaskets near the mounting area. Ford also says to reprogram the PCM w/the latest calibration (WDS B26.2 or later)-not replacing the PCM.

Cornboy,
Yes this is very common on a 99 (2000 and 01 too). And Ford does have a set procedure too. There is a TSB to cover this but it mentions that the codes 171 and 174 are to be present with no other drivability concerns.

Search this site under Isolator bolts or 171 and 174 and you will find step by step instructions.

I think the part gaskets should be port gaskets (or port seals).

Add your comment to this topic!