Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

New Eurospec 300zxturbo here

EuroturboZ
03-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Well being a newb all over again just great. Anyway I am stationed over here in Germany and bought a 86 300zx turbo pretty damn cheap. The cars in pretty good condition but needs alittle work. The rear suspension not sagging like the older Z's you see in the states and the engines still strong. I bought it from a guy that was just tired of messing with it, it had a broken manifold on the turbo side which the guy bought a brand new one. He couldnt finish putting it back together so today i finished the job off. The car had been sitting for about 3 months and once i got it together again, turned the key and it started right up. Turbo looked pretty new and had no shaft play that i could feel either. I looked around here alittle looking for info on the car and places to get parts. Well could anyone give me any good info on things i should check and look for with the car. I dont have any specific questions yet. I am pretty mechanicly inclinded and also own a forced feed Honda Civic Si so forced induction isnt new to me and neither is modding. One good thing about the car is the guys including an extra timing belt, 2 sets of T-tops and other misc interior and engine parts.

First thing i noticed about the car was that its wasnt even intercooled not even a small one. So if anyone could help me out where to look for a front mount that would help which would probably be my first upgrade. As soon as i can i get some pictures up cause i am sure you guys would like to see. Sorry for the long intro, and glad to be here.

chris

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-12-2005, 02:47 PM
sounds goos congrats and welcome to the Past Z Car Crew... post up some pics when u get a chance ....

as far as getting specs http://www.z31.com has some good info on our z31's..

i dont know exactly where to get a intercooler for the z31 but just search google im sure theres lots of places ... intercooling isnt really necessary until your running about 10psi of boost ..

good luck.

DeleriousZ
03-12-2005, 02:52 PM
probably go with the spearco intercooler kit...

http://z31.com/tfaq/

EuroturboZ
03-12-2005, 03:26 PM
probably go with the spearco intercooler kit...

http://z31.com/tfaq/

thanks, yeah i found the spearco kit on a few websites, pretty costly but intercoolers arent. If i can find a intercooler with a same side inlet and outlet that should work, then i need the piping. I noticed a few DIY threads on here it looks like you guys made. I do a search but the search engine doesnt seperate the differant car forums specifically so if you could please give me past post about any DIY post, thanks. Also what are the specs on the turbo itself as far as what boost levels it can handle. Also with this car is a BOV nessesary. I am not asking about wanting to make it sound cool i just wondering if its nessesary and if theres any brand that can hook up to the stock intake setup. Tomorrow i get some pictures up off the car also.

EuroturboZ
03-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Heres the wheels i am getting

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/765000-765999/765249_69_full.jpg

DeleriousZ
03-12-2005, 05:10 PM
damn man those are going to look freaking sweet on there... lets get some pics of the car!!

as for the bov... no, it's not required but i highly highly highly x1000 recommend it... unless you go with a recirc. kit which is even better.... i could explain, but i'm sure you know the benefiets of both.. hks is making a recirc kit for their ssqv.. which is pretty funny considering that bov is all about noise...

for the intercooler... like the faq said... almost any oem intercooler is freaking useless.... the best thing to do would be to get a super efficient intercooler that's the right size and make your own piping kit like you said... make sure it's mandrel bent tho, it makes a big difference...

EuroturboZ
03-12-2005, 05:26 PM
damn man those are going to look freaking sweet on there... lets get some pics of the car!!

as for the bov... no, it's not required but i highly highly highly x1000 recommend it... unless you go with a recirc. kit which is even better.... i could explain, but i'm sure you know the benefiets of both.. hks is making a recirc kit for their ssqv.. which is pretty funny considering that bov is all about noise...

I forgot to mention the wheels are from a 92 R32 skyline and only 400.00 shipped. Also i saw someplace a BOV that looked like it hooked up into the charge pipe. I cant seem to find it now, any idea what i am talking about or were i can get one?

EuroturboZ
03-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Finally got some pictures for everyone to check out. The car needs alittle work, the guy that owned it before said someone came and stole the factory ground effects kit. I got the exhaust put back together today and went for a drive. It feels alittle sluggish, and the throttle respondese sucks. I think the timing is off and it needs new wires and plugs. It has a slight misfire in higher RPMS. And i dont know if the factory boost gauge is right cause it only reads about 3-4psi i guess, but feels like more. Engines a dirty but i am going to clean that up as soon as i get my tags on it. For only $500.00 i say i got a pretty decent car.http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODI1MDM0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODI1MDM1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODI1MDM2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

EuroturboZ
03-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Also anyone know how to tell if the electronic struts are working or not? And can anyone give me a picture of the vacum lines on the driverside , the ones coming from some kind of vacum switch or something to two connections by the distributor. The other owner had this disconnected and i need to figure how everything goes properly to the way i have it now.

DeleriousZ
03-13-2005, 01:14 PM
k first off, i'm pretty sure that's either an 84 or 85... but maybe check it out with your vin number on z31.com.... you might be able to use the us vin code system... not sure. stock boost is set between 3-5 psi, so that's nothing to worry about.

what are you doing with those stock wheels? :D

k3smostwanted
03-13-2005, 01:24 PM
nice Z, it was definitely kept in good condition...:thumbsup:

EuroturboZ
03-13-2005, 01:38 PM
why do you say its a 84 or 85? I know its a 2+2. As for the wheels i probably just going to keep them. I have to write the vin down tomorrow. But the guys says its a 86 and its registered as so. Like i said the side ground effects and wing was stolen so that a reason it might look differant too, i dont know.

EuroturboZ
03-13-2005, 01:58 PM
I went to Z31.com how to tell them apart section. And from what i can see the 84-85 had 4 lug wheels and no wing. My wheels are 16in but same style as the 84-85 that are 4 lug. It had a wing and guessing it had a third brake light but like i said it was stolen. You should remember this is a European spec car, the cars basically the same but suppose to have more power and exterior differance also. Both US and Euro spec were both made in Japan right but are going to have slight differances. Like i dont have a CAT, US specs have a cat.

DeleriousZ
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
there's no cat required in the older eurospec cars? that's pretty crazy...

i guess you're right about the styling... i've never even seen a eurospec zed before... let alone know the styling for them... i originally thought for some reason the ground effects were 1piece with the rear quarter panels... but now looking at my pics they're seperate pieces.. i guess it's just the angle that the picture is taken at so you can't really see where they would go.. as you can see on mine, the wheel wells are flared out a little more to go with the lines of the ground effects... who knows.

did you happen to get a key for the t-tops when you bought it? mine are locked and i don't have a key for them that works... just wondering if yours did.

EuroturboZ
03-13-2005, 05:22 PM
there's no cat required in the older eurospec cars? that's pretty crazy...

i guess you're right about the styling... i've never even seen a eurospec zed before... let alone know the styling for them... i originally thought for some reason the ground effects were 1piece with the rear quarter panels... but now looking at my pics they're seperate pieces.. i guess it's just the angle that the picture is taken at so you can't really see where they would go.. as you can see on mine, the wheel wells are flared out a little more to go with the lines of the ground effects... who knows.

did you happen to get a key for the t-tops when you bought it? mine are locked and i don't have a key for them that works... just wondering if yours did.

Yep no cat, only thing past the downpipe is a middle muffler then the rest of the exhaust. yeah i see what your saying about the body styling of yours and mine. I cant tell you why they are differant when the brought the car here originally. European spec cars a crazy like that i guess. And yeah i have a key for the T-tops i think.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Also anyone know how to tell if the electronic struts are working or not? And can anyone give me a picture of the vacum lines on the driverside , the ones coming from some kind of vacum switch or something to two connections by the distributor. The other owner had this disconnected and i need to figure how everything goes properly to the way i have it now.

ok i know i read somewhere that on our z31's if you look at the damper control selector,if its flashing when the car is on that means tehres a malfunction within the system usually the shocks are the prob.. thast what mine does right now i unhooked my air pump for the shocks cause it stayed on all the time and my damper control didnt work i need new shocks..

damn i dont even have a key for my t-tops lol .. glad some1 hasnt stolen my ground effects cause then my weight reduction spots would show..

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-14-2005, 12:18 AM
wow delirious i just noticed u said your were locked when u bought your car and have no key luckily mine are unlocked having no key ...

have u seen those carbon fiber t-tops they make for the z32's.. i would like to get a pair of those for my z31

DeleriousZ
03-14-2005, 12:25 AM
yeah i can't get them off... it really makes me mad... but not mad enough to go to a lock place and have them make a key for it.... whatever lol i'll get around to it someday

DeleriousZ
03-15-2005, 12:06 AM
hey euro, when do you think you'll get those rims on and get pics? i wanna see how it looks like cause i'm going to need some summer tires coming up pretty quick, and i might as well get some cheap aftermarkets too..

Zgringo
03-15-2005, 01:21 AM
wow delirious i just noticed u said your were locked when u bought your car and have no key luckily mine are unlocked having no key ...

have u seen those carbon fiber t-tops they make for the z32's.. i would like to get a pair of those for my z31

Hmmmm..my ignition key works on my doors, tops and read deck.
Where do you find those CF T-tops?

DeleriousZ
03-15-2005, 01:29 AM
http://www.amzperformance.com/z32/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=357&category_id=0ced63fc385a621e824e671e2c05d942&;

ExTrEmEDrIfT
03-16-2005, 07:03 PM
theres the link yes ... they only make them for the z32's though and i think they are in process of fabricating them for the z31's....

hmm weird my ignition key works for my doors and ignition thats all i jhave to use my trunk releaseto open my hatch... i cant lock my t-tops im probably gonna go to a locksmith too and do that ....

i also noticed the unlock and lock knob u lift up on the t-tops to take them off ,mine seemed to have just fallen off and i think it fell off and out the dorr when it was opened by someone cause its nowhere in my car i even took outmy seats lol ----any1 know where i can get this im guessin junkyard -----

Add your comment to this topic!