Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

API SM/GF4 oil versus SL/GF3 oil? . . .

Ramblin Fever
03-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Bought a new case of Havoline 10W-30 last night. When changing the oil, I noticed that the API rating has upgraded to SM/GF4 from SL/GF3.

Anyone have input on this? Read some things on the internet stating that no one knows for sure if the SM is ok to use in older vehicles because of lower Sulfur content?

Does this SM oil have as many detergents as the older SL oil?

Also, after changing oil/filter, I ran the truck for 2-3 minutes to check for leaks, and to let the oil circulate to recheck level. When I shut it off and looked on the garage floor, I noticed that I had only put in 4 1/2 qrts. I usually fill the filter up before putting it on, and spaced it this time (nephew had me accupied with Nascar input).

Basically the dipstick read just barely above the ADD dot for those few minutes - and I mean just "barely" above ADD.

It's not like it was cruising down the highway or anything, but could there be some damage?

marcre
03-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Ramblin Fever,

I do not have an answer about the ratings, but asd far as damage you are fine. As long as it is above the add line there is nothing to worry about. In fact I remember reading here recently that even if the vehicle is a couple of quarts low there is no need to worry. I am not sure about that, but it is possible. I had a 91 Toyota MR2 years ago and when I checked the oil I was below the add line. It was fine and lasted me for a while, as it did for the person I sold it to.

Marc

rodeo02
03-12-2005, 12:56 PM
No worries Ramblin. The newest API rating SM / GF4 is just the latest n' greatest in oil specs. The low sulpher thing is supposed to help catalytic converters last longer, since sulpher over time sours the catalyst. SM oils are supposed to hold up longer for extended drains as well. Regular oil changes & it doenst matter what you use. :cheers: ! I do like havoline oils!

G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
03-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Thank you for the replies.

Ran the truck up over Kenosha, Hoosier, and Loveland Pass today - total roughly 230 mile drive. Ran real good - weather was beautiful as well!

Fantastic view up there.

Add your comment to this topic!