Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Error Code PO430 Bank2 Cat Efficiency?

xrjay7
03-12-2005, 08:44 AM
I have been getting a Check Engine Light which is triggered by an Error Code PO430 Bank 2 Catalytic Efficiency Below Threshold. The Check Engine Light eventually goes out after about 10 starts, but shows up again after 2 weeks.

Has anyone else got this error code and what was your remedy? I have 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty and I am considering bringing in to dealer, but if it is only an A/F Ratio (aka O2) sensor then I would change that. Dealer has $200 deductible for all warranty work, so I may consider changing A/F sensor ($69) if they are the problem.

pies
03-12-2005, 09:49 AM
i just went threw this with my 2000 chevy, except it was code 420 for bank 1. get ready to go through some bull s&&t with gm. my truck did the same thing , where as light would come and i would clear the code and in a couple of weeks it would come back. i took it gm, scan and told bad o2 sensor. 2 weeks later light on. backto gm ,scan and told after cat sensor, replace . 2 weeks later on comes the light. go to diferent dealership and tell them what has been done. they scan and tell me misfire codes and that i need a tune up. plugs wires and injector flush and clean the air intake manifold. got truck back and 60 kilometers down the road the light came on with the same code.back to gm , they scan and tell me that the misfire codes are gone, so now i have to replace the catalyst. 960 bucks plus install. i tell them to stick it. i told them that it was the cat in the first place, by the time i went through all there crap my warranty had expired. bought walker exhaust cats, insatalled and no more codes. then i took the old cat and took it apart and found that there is a screen in it, i cleaned the screen and put it back together and reinstalled it and it is fine. so you can take it apart and clean it and weld it back together or just make gm replace it.

intel_guy
03-12-2005, 08:40 PM
I have been getting a Check Engine Light which is triggered by an Error Code PO430 Bank 2 Catalytic Efficiency Below Threshold. The Check Engine Light eventually goes out after about 10 starts, but shows up again after 2 weeks.

Has anyone else got this error code and what was your remedy? I have 6 year 100,000 mile extended warranty and I am considering bringing in to dealer, but if it is only an A/F Ratio (aka O2) sensor then I would change that. Dealer has $200 deductible for all warranty work, so I may consider changing A/F sensor ($69) if they are the problem.

I have the same issue. I will keep turning it off using my code reader. Eventually I will redo the exhaust completely. Probably use Gibson, but the truck it too new to me so I want to make sure it's worth the investment.

99redsilverado
03-13-2005, 01:37 AM
need new cats pies: you got screwed...gullible much

pies
03-13-2005, 03:32 PM
what really sucks is that after the fuel injector and intake cleaning my throttle sticks all the time and that service was suppose to correct that problem. is there any other way to correct this problem??

99redsilverado
03-13-2005, 09:40 PM
they didnt clean the throttle body--the intake and injector cleaning doesnt thoroughly clean the throttle body hardly at all, where the sticking comes from...if you want to get rid of the sticking...get an old toothbrush and a can of throttle body cleaner and spray it down and brush it down..make sure u get the entire butterfly valve

Add your comment to this topic!