Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looks like rear end...

silveradoking
03-11-2005, 04:00 PM
I have had the infamous clunk under my Silvy, and have gone almost nuts with it....I changed my yoke to the new nickel plated yoke, put more grease in it then ever...I have changed the transfer case fluid....I don't think it is the tranmission or the transfer case and it feels like the clunk is now coming from the back....So I am guessing that it is the rear end....I have heard of some reshimming kits...but have never done this before...I know how to change lots of things on these vehicles, and do alot of the work myself...only when I don't have the neccesary tools, I let the mechanics do it....I like the challenges, and working with vehicles....so my question is...Can I reshim this myself? I know that some people say it is easy, just time consuming...but I don't know...what do you guys think?

amac209
03-11-2005, 08:27 PM
don't start messing with the gears yet. there are updated spring insulators that should stop the clunk. i don't know the part number but there is a buletin for this the new insulators have a rubber spacer while the old one is just plastic. when the axle wraps the leafs clunk together. hope this helps.

skipr
03-13-2005, 08:31 PM
It may not be a bad idea to open the rear end cover and take a look, have both rear wheels off the ground. Spin one wheel back and forth and observe the pinion shaft (NOT PINION GEAR) see if the support holes in carrier are oval causing play in the pinion shaft. Don't wait for it to snap, you will replacing alot more than a diff. carrier. I know from experience, not from what I heard. The G80 diff. will completely snap in two halves, the ring gear then will destroy every thing inside the housing, it will look simular to putting a bowl of chili in a blender.

silveradoking
03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
What do you mean by 'support holes in carrier are oval'.....Are the support holes supposed to oval? How much do diff carrier's go for?... Is there different types, like company wise, that are quality better? Is this the 'Eaton' part that everyone is saying to put in? Are they expensive.....ay, yay,yay.....so many questions...so little time....? Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out.....

skipr
03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
What do you mean by 'support holes in carrier are oval'.....Are the support holes supposed to oval? How much do diff carrier's go for?... Is there different types, like company wise, that are quality better? Is this the 'Eaton' part that everyone is saying to put in? Are they expensive.....ay, yay,yay.....so many questions...so little time....? Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out.....

The carrier is the differential, the pinion shaft is the large dowel pin that you slide out to remove the axle "C" clips, it is kept in place by two holes on opposite sides of carrier. No they are not supposed to be oval, but they have been known too. this is where the slop in the driveline stems from. And yes there r several after market products (Alburn, Detroit locker, Eaton,...etc.) Eaton has a good reputation. I can't confirm this because I replace with stock G80 OEM. Yes about double the price for Eaton approx. $500.This is all assuming you have a 10 bolt 8.5 inch limited slip rearend.If you have a full floating (3/4 ton & 1 ton) rear end then I don't have any advice for you.It's just an easy inspection that may save you hundreds if not thousands of $ later.
'

silveradoking
03-14-2005, 04:55 PM
thanks man...I have the 10 bolt...so I will check it out tommorrow or the next day and let you know what's going on....If I get the eaton...do you think I will be ok for a long time or is it worth the money...

rrousou
03-21-2005, 11:22 AM
If you need to fix your diff check out these links.

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/fscu/axletech/

Add your comment to this topic!