Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Street-legal dragsters

993cc
03-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Any idea about these apparently street-legal drag cars? They're in the UK .... I've never seen cars like these on the street :eek:
(I got these from the McLaren forums)

an Aston Vantage
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Vantagestreetdrag-car.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

and a Stingray
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Stingraystreetdrag-car_1.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

erb
06-20-2005, 10:11 PM
What do you want to know? there are some that run 7's.

caviman69
06-20-2005, 11:02 PM
They would never be street legal in the us

goatnipples2002
06-21-2005, 12:01 AM
There are cars in the us and other places that don't look like fast cars that can do 7, 8 and 9 second 1/4's but they are out there. There was a supra at the track and the only thing that you could see in his car was a 2 point bar and a boost gauge. It looked like it had the basics...dropped, rims, tires, slight body enhancements, but he ran low 8's. My friend has a 3000gt VR4 that runs 10's and it looks stock.....it is except for the bigger turbos and nitrous. I just don't see the purpose of making your car look so crazy.

BullShifter
06-21-2005, 12:42 AM
The first one - HELL NO!
2nd one - possibly if all lights functioned.

Why the hell would you want to drive something that agressive on the street. Your talking gas stations per mile not miles per gallon.

caviman69
06-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Neither one would be street legal for numerous reasons,exhaust,hoodscoop, tires etc. You friends cars probably look stock. Driving down the road in the above cars would get you stopped by the first cop that see's you.

bad360rt
06-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Apparently the UK has some interesting ideas of what's street legal. And just because you can register it and put a plate on it, doesn't make it a street car. Could they drive either of those cars 900+ miles to VA and back like I just did with my truck? I don't think so. Could they sit in traffic coming across the bridge for an hour like I do on my way home from work? Don't think so. (granted, I'm not anywhere near as fast as them, just making a point) That's why I like the pump gas drags, gotta drive your car 30 minutes, then come back to the track, no changes, go race. I think the fastest guy last year was low 9's, maybe 8's, can't remember. That's a street car. No trailer queens with plates on 'em.

caviman69
06-21-2005, 08:34 AM
I dont really know anything about the uk but in the us those cars break so many laws that its not funny.

993cc
06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Well, so much interest all of a sudden! Anyway I never said anything about the US so I don't know what some people are going on about :confused:
And I never said anything about being street-cars! Of course they're not. I was strictly talking street-legal. Their owners actually swim in cold sweat as their cars have to wait at traffic lights (overheating)! So yes they're as un-street-friendly as you can get! But no UK cop will stop them as they (just ) fall within all regulations of road safety or whatever they call it. Apparently there is a special racing category for these things and it probably started with a bet to have a beast like that issued licence plates. After all rally-cars (WRC) carry licence plates and are allowed to drive on the streets to and from special stages so why not dragsters?:wink:

goatnipples2002
06-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Neither one would be street legal for numerous reasons,exhaust,hoodscoop, tires etc. You friends cars probably look stock. Driving down the road in the above cars would get you stopped by the first cop that see's you.
None of the above would get you pulled over in nebraska because tons of people have the same mods. There's a guy that I see all the time that has a blower and two carbs shooting about 1.5 feet above where his hood would normally be.

DCarr511
06-29-2005, 05:02 PM
In cases like this " street legal " it's just a term naming a class. they probably have working lights etc. and may have DOT or their equivilent accepted tires. I don't think the riveted windsheild is legal or even safety glass.

Big difference between " street legal " and " streetable " also.

caviman69
06-30-2005, 11:14 AM
True, after that statement goatnipples i think im gonna move to nebraska. On the east coast i get pulled over for havng an aftermarket exhuast. Its crazy, you cant do anything to your car on the east coast. Damn cops!!

goatnipples2002
06-30-2005, 08:56 PM
True, after that statement goatnipples i think im gonna move to nebraska. On the east coast i get pulled over for havng an aftermarket exhuast. Its crazy, you cant do anything to your car on the east coast. Damn cops!!
That is about the only thing that nebraska has going for it. I haven't had a cat on my car sonce I bought it 2 years ago.

caviman69
06-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Thats enough for me to want to move there. I feel like i just robbed a bank everytime i go somewhere cause i have to hide and steer clear of the cops to keep from getting pulled over.

Ridenour
07-04-2005, 06:01 PM
WTF... :) LoL I love how the hood scoop on the 1st one is actually higher then the roof of the car.

goatnipples2002
07-05-2005, 02:02 AM
WTF... :) LoL I love how the hood scoop on the 1st one is actually higher then the roof of the car.
That's not a hood scoop it's the scoop for the "blower" aka supercharger. If you road in that car he would be down the 1/4 before you finished pissing your pants. LOL :eek7: :lol: :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!