Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Blinking oil light on 92 Accord EX

bluestraw44
03-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Oil level is within normal range but when coming to a hard stop the oil light sometimes comes on and starts to blink. Sometimes is goes away once you accelerate and sometimes it stays blinking until you turn off the engine. Once re-started the light doesn't return unless you brake hard again.

Seems like it's worse when the engine is warmer.

Could it be oil pressure? There's oil residue aroudn the valve cover gasket and distributor cap (valve cover gasket was replaced 43Kmiles ago).

Oil also accumulates around the perimiter of the oil pan. Seems like a chronic leaking spot. Should I replace the seal?

Blancer shaft oil seal was replaced (along with retainer to keep it from popping out again) when I did the timing and balancer belts at around 90K.

Car has 133K miles now.

Thanks for any insight!

AccordCodger
03-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Youve got a lot of leaks, but they have nothing to do with the oil light - that's oil pressure. Could be your oil pump, since you've made sure (haven't you?) that the oil level is OK.

bluestraw44
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
I checked the oil first. It was closer to the lower mark than the higher, but I added oil anyway. After I added oil, the light seemed not to come on as easily, but it did at one point.

The oil pump may not be producing enough oil pressure? I'm guessing the pump is buried and difficult to replace easily and expensive to purchase.

If I have the light come on and the light stays on in the blinking mode, can someone like Autozone hook up a scanner and provide a diagnosis code? The car would have to be running, since once turned off, the light doesn't come back on.

Thanks for your reply and help.

AccordCodger
03-11-2005, 12:34 PM
If I have the light come on and the light stays on in the blinking mode, can someone like Autozone hook up a scanner and provide a diagnosis code? The car would have to be running, since once turned off, the light doesn't come back on.

No - the oil light is not like the Check Engine light. When it's on, you have low oil pressure. When it's off you don't (unless it's because the light stops working!)

The oil pump is not easy to get to, true. I doubt the part is horribly expensive.

By the way, worse when the motor warms up is also sympomatic of a bad oil pump (thinner oil = less pressure)

When did you last change your oil?

94hondaacc
03-11-2005, 02:20 PM
how about the oil pressure switch? this could also be giving a false reading.its hard to tell cause honda dont have an oil pressure gauge, but this is a possibility.

mpumas
03-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Low oil pressure indication could be the switch, oil pump or worn main bearings. You should be using 10-30 oil by now. How many miles on the engine?

mpumas
03-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Low oil pressure indication could be the switch, oil pump or worn main bearings. You should be using 10-30 oil by now. How many miles on the engine?

Deadhead
03-12-2005, 08:55 PM
what thickness of oil are you using? If you have really thin oil with high temperatures, this logically could cause less oil pressure.

AccordCodger
03-15-2005, 09:21 AM
[quote]You should be using 10-30 oil by now.[quote]
Based on what? I'm at 170k, and it's perfectly happy on 5W-30 (in Florida). No oil pressure problems.

bluestraw44
03-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all of the feedback. I haven't had a chance to do any more diagnosing.

As I wrote earlier - the car has 133k miles. I still use 5W30. The oil does seem thin and it is time for an oil change.

At the last spark plug change I noticed oil down around the plugs. When I ordered the tune up parts I was asked if I wanted new rubber grommets. I couldn't picture what they looked like and where they were located, but now I'm wondering if these parts are perhaps worn and causing leaks and causing less oil pressure. Any comments?

I've got a new valve cover seal to put on, so anything I can do while I have the valve cover off - now would be the time to do it.

Not sure if there is any correlation with the oil pressue issue, but when I accelerate, there's a little shuddering. There is less shuddering when accelerating very quickly. My theory is a bad motor mount (i.e. the front motor mount). Any thoughts? It's most predominant from a compete stop, but you can still feel it if you slow down and then accelerate again.

Thanks for the continued interest and discussion.

mpumas
03-16-2005, 03:58 PM
The spark plug seals/groumets probably should be changed every time the gaskets are changed but they are not causing your oil pressure problem as they are not in the pressure side of the equation. The cheapest thing you could do is put in 10-30 oil then change the oil filter and pressure sensor switch. The pressure switch is just above the oil filter. A replacement switch is about $10. If you still have a problem, the oil pump is run by the timing belt balancer. The part is pricey and the labor to replace is too, about $700 total. I guess the gears can wear and you lose oil pressure but the only thing I've seen is that oil pumps leak. If you still have a problem, the only thing left is the main bearings. That is an engine rebuild. Good luck.

94cordvtec
03-18-2005, 10:40 PM
oil pressure switch would be the easiest and cheapiest thing to try first besides an oil change if ur way overdue but mine blinked on and off especially at idle but i got a new oil pressure switch from the dealer for 7$ and it was easy to do and my light hasnl;t been on since

Add your comment to this topic!