Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 chevy corsica...

tweetej
03-11-2005, 03:12 AM
I have a 1993 chevy corsica, 3.1, 6 cyl.

About 4 weeks ago it started overheating, usually only when I was going through a drive thru. I have taken it to a shop three times already.

I have replaced the thermostat, spark plugs, oil & filter, transmisiion fluid & gasket, fan motor, coolant temp. sensor, hose connected to radiator they returned it to me. It ran good for a few days then I had to take it back b/c it was overheating again. They said they forgot to replace the relay switch. So I got it back again, ran fine a few days, started overheating again. They said they did a pressure test and one of the hose clamps was loose. They tightened it.

It has been running fine except it is still getting hotter than normal when I am going through a drive thru. Also today it started acting like it wanted to cut out as I was comming up on a stop light. It didn't cut off but it felt like it wanted to.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what it could be, that way when I take it back I can give them some ideas.

Thank you in advance.

brass_monkey93
03-11-2005, 09:53 AM
it could be many things...my 94 corsica just had the water pump, radiator, head gaskets, and intake gaskets replaced. it ran good for about a month but i noticed a couple days ago my coolant is going down again and i saw some on my engine block, so its leaking from somewhere.

my corsica also feels like its going to stall, but mine is after i am at a complete stop and i start going again. i'm thinking that maybe its a gas pump, thats what i'm hoping it is atleast

Kooterskkar
03-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Did they flush the cooling system when they did the other work? How high does the needle go when it gets hot? Does the overheat light cut on? Your radiator fan should cut on around the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge, then bring it back down to around the 1/2 mark. If the overheat light cuts on and the fan doesnt, you've got some sort of electrical issue with the fan wiring.
Has the coolant ever boiled out into the overflow tank?

Id say to drain all the coolant out of it. Buy about two gallons of the premixed 50/50 antifreeze and refill it with that. If the water/coolant mix is wrong the car will overheat easier. You can also go to an auto parts store and get a cooler temp thermostat. The stock temp is 192° most replacements are 195°, but you can get a 180° and it will be fine. Only takes ten minutes to put in.
Another thing to remember, it is starting to get warmer out as the season is now changing. Its not as easy for the car to cool off during the spring and summer. So it will surely run a little warmer on the gauge.

HannabilRox
03-24-2005, 12:04 PM
Sounds to me like the radiator is not flowing correctly. Either the radiator is clogged or the waterpump is not functioning properly. If a radiator never gets flushed, they tend to clog up with rust and dirt over time. Also, make sure the radiator fins are clear of debris.

Add your comment to this topic!