Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Y-type 5-way belts no longer approved

chevytrucks92
03-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Was looking on summitracing at the 5-way Y-type belts to get a replacement set for my car (R.J.S Y-type latch style) and found out that they are no longer SFI.16 approved. Anybody know why this is? It says as of 1/5/05 the Y-type belts are no longer approved. Oh well.

I'm glad I didnt order some last week, lol, or last year, lol.

They make V-type belts as well, so I guess that will be the type I need to get.

Just curious if anyone knows why the Y-type belts are no longer approved.

superprohero
05-13-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure either but thanks for posting that. I was about to order new harnesses myself. Plus they got onto me for not having a Snell apporoved (snowmobile) helmet,LOL.
I drag race too and the thing that kills me is that at all the dirt tracks in this area there is NO requirement to change belts at any time, you just have to have them no matter how old. Heck those sprint cars flip and roll and even hang 5 ft. in the air from a fence yet they can have 20 yr old belts with rotten threads.
My guess is there was an accident and an investigation revealed that it was the belts design that caused excessive injuries or death. I'd be interested in knowing why.

chevytrucks92
05-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Yeah. I'd say they must have broke there in the Y part. Oh well. I ordered me a set of G-Force V-type about 2 months ago I'd say. I like them pretty well so far. I've raced with them twiced.

And come to find out, I had V-type belts to start with, lol. I thought they were the Y-type but they were R.J.S V-type. They were way out of date but still looked good. I just wanted to go ahead and get up to date belts in case they did try and put me off the track somewhere, lol.

Add your comment to this topic!